Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:00 am
On the two above ships'-of-the-line version with steam plants: why on earth do you use such antiquated stern galleries and ditto bow decorations? They look very, very odd to me, and not possessing the clean, sober, business-like lines of the later period (1820s to 1860s) SOL! Also the armored vessel posted last would have its two mast grouped too close together for any sails to be conveniantely handled, or, for that matter, for them to be at all useful. I'd suggest either an arrangement a la the British Northampton/Nelson- class or Warspite/Imperieuse-class, i e with the two masts spaced out at the bows and the end-on armament either abaft it, or further positioned towards the bows; or, alternatively, one single military mast, in which case, your gun arrangement will be ok. Also, as a matter of historical accuracy, triple screw arrangement was not invented till the very late part of the 19th c. and then first introduced by the French, shortly followed by the Russians. Your ship looks as an odd mix of a 1870s hull design with features of the 1880s and a 1890s prop. arrangement! - And, of course such an arrangement would habe been completely unconceivable on an SOL! Yor last SOL is thus a strange anomaly, which just doesn't look right in any way you regard it, breaking so many of the historical known tendencies and actual working limitations of such (wooden-hulled) designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:35 am
bezobrazov wrote:
On the two above ships'-of-the-line version with steam plants: why on earth do you use such antiquated stern galleries and ditto bow decorations? They look very, very odd to me, and not possessing the clean, sober, business-like lines of the later period (1820s to 1860s).
Have a look at real ship decorations. Look at different navies etc. You will find everything from clean shaped bows and sterns to those looking completely overloaded with decoration. If Alvama designed the ADU-ships this way it's ok. Remember, it's an AU! However, I like the early ships very much.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 16th, 2010, 11:41 am
There are no SOLs Most of they are based at real and never were ideas. Good to see your ships.

You can't say every thing about you don't know!

1869 sould be 1889 by the way, typo.

[Quote]
JLDogg
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Didn't most navies that converted SOLs to steam cut their decks down to reduce weight. 'Raize' the term isn't it??? :?: :?

BTW Awesome work there.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 16th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Alvama, if my thirty years' of research into naval history won't convince you that what you drew are first sailing ships-of-the-line and then a steam-ship-of-the-line, I don't know what can. Your statement that there aren't any SOLs just doesn't hold true. Also, what real designs are they based upon??? Some 18th c. certs or??? THey definitely are not 19th c. Not even as being considered 'rebuilt' ones (such as the French Louis XVI). I only attempted to give a constructive criticism, but being shot down like that I don't need to tolerate,or being dismissed right out of hand either. So, my pardons for trying to help. None shall hence be offered!

And, JLDogg: Yeah, a fair portion of those rebuilt were razeed, but not all! Instead they were lengthened and their amount of guns, in fact would increase! New-builts which were also quite numerous were designed with steam engines as an integral part of their outfit, though such things as subdivision never were satisfactorly solved in wooden hulls.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 17th, 2010, 6:54 am
Who says, they are succesfully?

It's not the comments, it's the way it come over..

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 17th, 2010, 6:47 pm
Attachment:
ADU_CV_NieuwAmsterdam.png

[Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Hey ho, that's what I call badass. IJN go home with that little thingie coming up. Nice to see some tractors on the flight deck. Interesting aircraft, too. Tell about 'em!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 17th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Hmmm...I've seen you've made some improvements to my aircraft designs. I wonder how well they'd hold up in Wesworld :thinking:

Anyway, yeah, that's easily the same size as Lexington which pretty much set the benchmark for mega-carriers until Midway came along. It's probably the smallest practical size where routine twin-engine ops can be conducted from.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Royal Anglo-Dutch Union, The Empire's fleetPosted: November 17th, 2010, 8:49 pm
By far one of your best ever designs!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: