Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 14  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 514 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Hopefully fixed

Yeah, I've done about 40% of one of two so it shouldn't take me too long

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 4:30 pm
Wow! I like it!
She looks rather large for her armament though?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Yeah, originally I wanted to go with 4.7 inch guns but there was a bit of a gap between variants, I might go for the 5.5 MkI instead of the 4" but I'll see if they fit, thanks though, I thought I was going crazy thinking that I would have been the only one to think it.

The main reason for the large size is to facilitate both a high speed and a fair range for a small combatant :P

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Very interesting. :)
Only bridge (whole that superstructure) looks IMHO bit odd (I guess that's more esthetical than practical) - namely too low, like the deck height was there lower than elsewhere on the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 9:11 pm
I must admit I find her forward armament woefully inadequent. Given the capabilities of torpedoes she'll have to get very close to her target before firing them, and until then she'll only have one gun to harm/distract her target with.
Personally I'd fit another two 4" guns in casemates in the forward corners of the bridge structure.
There was a Swedish proposal for a cruiser that did that with 6" guns drøm around the same time.
Alternatively you could fit two guns side by side.
I prefer the first option since it gives you more guns, two of which will be better protected, and it'll give you a larger broadside for when she turns away.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 13th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Nice ship, and my only remarks are those made by both eswube and Thiel. Other than that I think your ship is good and nice looking. BTW, I'll go for two 4.7" guns, side by side on the forecastle, two more at forecastle's break and two more where you have them, just aft of the first funnel. The two aft guns I'll make them 5.5" or even 6" guns to discourage the enemy from chasing your cruiser.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 14th, 2013, 5:16 am
@Eswube: I've raised the bridge walls fractionally but its sides are 4ft high and the bridge deck level is 6.5 feet above the forecastle, I think because it is low and its behind a long forecastle, it looks a bit lower than it is but I intended it to be low as if I added another deck underneath, it'd place the bridge too high.

@Thiel/Novice: Hadn't considered that, given that she operates originally with 18 inch Mark VII/VII* Torpedoes gives her the ability to strike from 6km away but you are incredibly correct. I had hoped to install casemates but looking at the size internally taken up, whilst small generally speaking, cut hugely into crew spaces which is already limited. To remedy this, I'm looking at installing two 4" guns far aft on the forecastle with a 5.5 inch gun on the center line forwards of this and replacing the aft-most 4" with another 5.5". Theres only so much I can stretch the hull strength.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 14th, 2013, 6:48 am
Something like this?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 14th, 2013, 7:55 am
Yeah, I didn't mean adding another deck, but together with relatively more massive aft superstructure it gave it bit "aft heavy" appearance (tiny forward superstructure, big rear - usually it's other way round).
Maybe lenghten the supperstructure below the bridge bit to the rear, so it would "engulf" the base of mast, bit like Denodon's recent Velikaya cruiser in neighboring thread?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Colony of Victoria (AU)Posted: August 14th, 2013, 9:50 am
Hopefully this is a bit more balanced

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 14  [ 140 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 514 »

Jump to: