Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 44 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 142 43 44 45 46 47 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 10:37 am
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
Well, since this new battleship class will long after World War 2 and long after the Naval treaties that were ripped to shreds by the Japanese. I think speed will not be an issue.
if you take the nelson sizes, arrangement and shape, speed will be an issue, because an fast nelson = an N3 battleship, so no longer much like the nelson. making the nelson fast changes so much about the ship that the nelson as base is no longer valid.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 10:49 am
The Nelson is not a good choice for a 'late model' battleship for conversion to missiles. The French battleships of the Dunkerque and Richelieu are much better.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 10:54 am
I Springsharped all three of the Zhalo's yesterday, all three came out excellent. The VTE version had increased displacement which was only to be expected, maybe keep the turbines and the reduced hull size cancels out the turbine cost...

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 11:03 am
After seeing everyone's comments, I have decided to make it a N3 style battleship

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 12:55 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Nelson was actually slower than that - 23kn - and that was with a hull was designed to be very hydrodynamically clean to make the most out of the (extremely limited) plant - given Treaty considerations the RN decided to keep guns and armour but sacrifice speed.
Yes but it was 35kt (less actually under by over 1000t) to abide by treaty’s with 45-50kt you could easily push it to 30+ KN with twice or more the engine power.......... (and lets face it nothing else in this AU is small).
A massive all forward BB would be ideal for conversion post war (well apart from a cheaper 10,00t CA (but thats boring).
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 1:05 pm
Hi JSB,

That's actually kind of the point I was trying to make (didn't make it terribly well, apologies) - the Nelsons had very small engines for their displacements - if you give them reasonable engines all that space aft is going to give you topside space for missiles \ helipads - and, as ace has said, basically turn it into an N3 anyway...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 1:07 pm
twice the engine power?
a quick calculation shows that the nelson would need about 80000 hp to get it to go 30 knots, without counting wave resistance (so 100000 hp would make sense). in comparision: that would be 2/3 the hood powerplant. by making the ship bigger, you make the ship heavier, so you worsen this problem......
so a faster nelson would have very little in common with the base ship.

that said, I just noticed the N3 was only 23 knots too......

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 1:46 pm
Nikolayvich class battleship (WIP)
This is the current status of the Cold War battleship.
[ img ]
What do you guys think?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 3:32 pm
A wasted good CV hull ........ :lol:

What are you building ? design a 40s BB and then upgrade it you will not finish a BB much after the war its just not worth it.
For specifics I think the funnels are now to small, mixing 40mm AA and later 5' guns and missiles doesn’t really work with me swap to all 40s (ie older 5' IMO ) or mostly 60s (unlikely).

Yes sorry to apdsmith/acelanceloet I think we are talking at cross purposes, I was trying to say that the ideal would be a Nelson front hull with a G3 stern (but modernized for the 40s, ie better engines/AA+DP guns).

JSB

Add I would look at real ships and start you navy with a good balance of real (or comparable) ships so you get more of a feel for what real designers decided was a good idea, they did get paid to think a lot about it...........

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 4:59 am
Morskoye class battleship(1955-1985) [Reconstructed]
The Morskoye class battleships were again modernized in 1975, this time with a major rebuild, which include replacing the old engines and boilers, removal of the catapults, addition of helicopter pad and hangar, addition of missile launchers and construction of new masts and new secondary turrets to replace the old ones. But the ships mostly remained unchanged with many of the 40 mm and 100 mm anti-air guns still around only now more automated. The battleship can handle up to six helicopters
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 44 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 142 43 44 45 46 47 »

Jump to: