Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 36  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 536 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 14th, 2014, 8:07 pm
JSB wrote:
Is it just me or does it look like you 3 types of turret (not that that doesn't work),
- The main guns 16 inch
- the 2 centre line turrets ? 6 inch ? (like Yamato say 2 x 3 ?)
- the side one look smaller ? 5 inch DP ? ( 8 x 2 ?)

Sorry if I missed your diplomacy bit, it but does using US systems make sense ? would USV be allies with its closes potential rival ? (and they get to share the Panama Canal as well ?)

JSB
there is no problem to use that many different turrets. but practical....

but both secondary guns are the same, center line is just in a different turret, and it is not the first ship to do that.

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:16 pm
JSB wrote:
Is it just me or does it look like you 3 types of turret (not that that doesn't work),
- The main guns 16 inch
- the 2 centre line turrets ? 6 inch ? (like Yamato say 2 x 3 ?)
- the side one look smaller ? 5 inch DP ? ( 8 x 2 ?)

Sorry if I missed your diplomacy bit, it but does using US systems make sense ? would USV be allies with its closes potential rival ? (and they get to share the Panama Canal as well ?)

JSB
Hi JSB the reason for the three types of turret is just that the center line turrets have three guns instead of two like the ones on the side and all of them are 5 inch guns. About the US systems i decided that at this point in history Venezuela is not a fully developed power and just like the chinese at the beginning they had a certain amount of foreign equipment but as the years pass the quantity of domestic equipment will increase.

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:18 pm
Táchira Class Battleship

[ img ]

The design of the Táchira-class battleships was shaped both by the ongoing international naval arms race and a desire among Venezuelan naval planners to maintain a fleet of capital ships powerful enough to defeat the British Navy in an encounter in Venezuelan territorial waters. The key factors in the design was the introduction of the British Queen Elizabeth class battleships and Venezuela's ongoing territorial disputes with Britain and the Netherlands over the British Guyana and Suriname and many of their dependencies in the caribbean.

General characteristics:
Built: 1915–18
In service: 1917–45
Displacement: 34,800 tons (standard); 40,200 tons (laden)
Length: 215.8 m
Beam: 31.75 m
Draught: 9 m
Speed: 25 knots
Range: 9,680 nmi (17,930 km; 11,140 mi) at 14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph)
Complement: 1,370

Armament:12 × 15-inch
16 × 5-inch

Last edited by KIKE92 on August 28th, 2014, 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm
Will that all fit in 32kt ? (In 1915)

New Mexico-class battleship is 32kt and has 12 guns (in less turrets) but it only does 21Kn.
QEs are 27.5K=kt and have 4 less guns and less speed ? (but older)
Quote:
i decided that at this point in history Venezuela is not a fully developed power and just like the chinese at the beginning they had a certain amount of foreign equipment but as the years pass the quantity of domestic equipment will increase.
If they can build this in 1915 are they not developed ? (and if they cant then nobody will sell them it in 1915 due to A) the war using up all production B) not wanting other to have better ships)

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 15th, 2014, 10:31 am
JSB wrote:
Will that all fit in 32kt ? (In 1915)

New Mexico-class battleship is 32kt and has 12 guns (in less turrets) but it only does 21Kn.
QEs are 27.5K=kt and have 4 less guns and less speed ? (but older)
Quote:
i decided that at this point in history Venezuela is not a fully developed power and just like the chinese at the beginning they had a certain amount of foreign equipment but as the years pass the quantity of domestic equipment will increase.
If they can build this in 1915 are they not developed ? (and if they cant then nobody will sell them it in 1915 due to A) the war using up all production B) not wanting other to have better ships)

JSB
Well about your question regarding the weight of the ship, i designed this ship based on the ise class battleship which was 31,260 long tons. And what you said about using US equipment is true so i decided to replace the US fire control systems with indigenous designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 15th, 2014, 1:11 pm
KIKE92 wrote:
Well about your question regarding the weight of the ship, i designed this ship based on the ise class battleship which was 31,260 long tons. And what you said about using US equipment is true so i decided to replace the US fire control systems with indigenous designs.
Ise has 14inch guns and only 23Kn, you have 15 and 25Kn on only 800t more ?

I think they make very nice ships but what would others think about them ! They might render the whole USN (+everybody else's apart from the Nagato-class+Hood) battle line useless as with 25Kn they can out run everything they cant kill and for the USA as they can strike east or west via the panama canal (assuming USV controls it ?).

For an interesting comparison, a 5 turreted QE with 25Kn by CanisD http://www.wolfsshipyard.com/Misc/Wolfs ... /queen.htm

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 15th, 2014, 1:44 pm
JSB wrote:
KIKE92 wrote:
Ise has 14inch guns and only 23Kn, you have 15 and 25Kn on only 800t more ?

I think they make very nice ships but what would others think about them ! They might render the whole USN (+everybody else's apart from the Nagato-class+Hood) battle line useless as with 25Kn they can out run everything they cant kill and for the USA as they can strike east or west via the panama canal (assuming USV controls it ?).

For an interesting comparison, a 5 turreted QE with 25Kn by CanisD http://www.wolfsshipyard.com/Misc/Wolfs ... /queen.htm

JSB
The creation of this ships does create a bit of a diplomatic war, originally the venezuelan navy had planned to build four of this ships but because of pressure from the US it was decided to build only two of this ships and build a downsized version of it with a shorter hull and only 8 guns, although in exchange asked the US to give a considerable amount of information about naval hardware (guns, fire control systems, etc). And yes the USV controls the Panama canal.

KIKE

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 15th, 2014, 3:56 pm
At the moment im working on some cruiser and battlecruiser concepts and this is what i have so far but im not very sure if they are viable, and also im not very sure of what of kind performance they should have.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 15th, 2014, 5:56 pm
Personally I'd go for either of the latter two.

+ Your belt can be shorter seeing as it doesn't have to cover as much area for the magazines and machinery.
- You loose 360 degree fire, though that's not really all that much of an issue in most circumstances
+ You get more space for planes and boats aft with the main armament out of the way which would be useful for scouting work (as I imagine these to be employed as such?)

Plus, all forward ships just look sexy (Strasbourg, case in point).

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: United States of VenezuelaPosted: August 16th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Miranda Class Heavy Cruiser

[ img ]

General characteristics:

Class & type: Miranda-class cruiser
Displacement:
Design:16,000 t
Full load:18,000 long tons
Length: 200 m overall
Beam: 22 m
Propulsion:
3 × steam turbines
3 × three-blade propellers
132,000 shp (98 MW)
Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)
Range: 6,800 nmi (12,600 km; 7,800 mi) at 20 kn (37 km/h; 23 mph)
Complement:
42 officers
1,340 enlisted
Armament:
8 × 8 in guns
8 × 5 in guns

Last edited by KIKE92 on August 28th, 2014, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 36  [ 353 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 536 »

Jump to: