Link to part 1
Battlecruiser/Fast Battleship Amagi (part 2, 1930-1940/41):
After the uneventful first years of the 30's, when the events more worth to be mentioned were the changes of ships assigned to her sentai (and most of all Kii replacing her as Koko no Kaigun's flagship), Amagi was suddenly and unexpectedly called into action. On november 8th 1933, when Rikugun soldiers attempted a coup against Minister fo the Interior and former Prime Minikster Kusako Morimoto, Amagi was performing gunnery drills off Toumachi bay. Immediately recalled to port, she steamed at full speed and docked in front of Kono no Kaigun headquarters with orders to protect the building in case the rebles had tried to storm it. As the coup was quickly foiled by KnR and IJA tropps still loyal to Morimoto, Amagi's crew were denided any other direct involvement in the events. Amagi returned to her uneventful routine duties until she was ordered to Toumachi naval Arsenal for her main refit on January 5th 1935.
Docked at toumachi Naval Arsenal her stern was lenghtened 8,5m and a clipper bow fitted, increasing overall lenght to 262,08m. Anti-torpedo bugles were added, bringing the beam to 34,6m. Like it was done on Inaba's refit, in a way that will become standasrd for all Koko no kaigun capital ship refits, the original 254mm armour belt was removed and replaced by a new 356mm one. Diagonal bulkheads 152mm thick connected the belt with he main gun barbettes, upper belt was left at 140mm. Turrets had sighting periscopes and 10m rangefinders fitted, with the guns maximum elevation increaed to 43°. Face armor was increased to 508mm, while sides, roof and barbettes themselves were left with the original armor plates 229 to 280mm thick. Deck armor was increased from 98 to 164mm, further extended aft over the steering gear with 55m plates. splinter plates 3mm thick were added behind the torpedo bulkheads, with another 37mm plate added inside the newly added torpedo bulges. Casemate guns were improved too increasing their maximum elevation to 30°, ammunition stowage was also increased for both main and secondary armament. The original four 120mm anti-air guns in single mounts were replaced by eight 127mm ones in four twin mounts, and two quadruple 13mm machine guns were also fitted on board. Both fore and aft superstructures were heavily rebuilt in order to house newer and more advanced fire-control equipment. Standard displacement increased from 41.217 to 48.582tons, with full load beign 56.002t. This increased the ship's draft from 9,5 to 10,21m. The engines were also refurbished, all older oil and mixed-firing boliers were removed and replaced by newere and more powerful oil-firing ones, this allowed for the removal of the fore-funnel. Engine power was thus increased from 131.200 to 148.488shp, allowing the ship to retain her 30-knot top speed, and her endurance was of 10.000 nautical-miles at a sped of 16knots. A catapult and a collapsible crane was fitted at the stern to operate two Nakajima E8N reconnaissance planes.
In early March 1937, Works on Amagi were almost completed when the Naval staff decided to send the ship to Europe to attend and represent Koko at the forthcoming King George VI Coronation Review. The ship was thus undocked and all works deemed not necessary were stopped: the ship had yet to recieve most of her fire-control equipment.
On March 25th, 1937 Amagi departed Toumachi bound for Yokosuka, testing her new engines in the process, were she docked on the 28th of the same month, joining the heavy cruiser IJN Ashigara. Both ships departed Yokosuka on April 3rd 1937, steaming to Britain via Singapore, Aden, the Suez Canal and Malta, utlimately docking at Portsmouth on May 10th 1937.
After attending the review, on May 20th, Ashigara departed for Kiel, Germany. Amagi instead joined the Thiarian battleship LT Tuama and left Portsmouth on the 22nd, bound for the Atlantic Ocean.
The two ships steamed to Thiaria, reaching Bauaine on June 12th. Amagi docked off Noyalo, where some hight figures of the Thiarian Navy were allowed to tour the ship. After refueling operation had been completed, Amagi departed Thiaria on June 19th, facing up with the winter strmy water of Cape Horn and Magellan strait. Despite her foredeck was swamped almost all the time, leading to flooding in some crew quarters at the bow, Amagi crossed into the Pacific Ocean with just minor damage, briefly docking at Valparaiso, Chile, for a after further refuel.
After having steamed over 26.700 miles over the course of three months, effectively completing a World cruise, Amagi returned to Toumachi on July 9th, bwelcomed with widespread celebration.
Just days laterr, Amagi returned to Toumachi Naval Arsenal to complete her refit with the installation of the Type 94, fire control equipment.
Redesignated as a Fast Battleship, Amagi was untilmately completed and recommissioned on August 5th 1937. Assigned to Sentai 1 she became once again Koko no Kaigun's Flagship.
During the course of 1938 and 1939 Amagi made frequent trips to Japan and a few to china, often ferrying Rikugun troops as Kokoan involvement into the Sino-Japanese conflict began to increase.
In November 1939, Amagi was replaced in the role of Fleet Flagship by the newly built Battleship Yashima, she thus returned to the yards for further works.
During her second refit the quad 13mm machine guns were removed, replaced by twenty 25mm machine guns in ten twin mounts, six fitted on platforms on the main bridge and another four placed on the back of the funnnel. The 1,5m navigationr angefinders were moved and a anti-air command post was added by enlargin platforms high on the pagoda tower. Wind baffles were added around the battle bridge greenhouses and two lookout posts were removed, replaced by extra machine gun directors.
Amagi was recommissioned by fall 1940 and assigned to Sentai 1 with battleship Yashima. In 1941 he was reassigned to Sentai 2 with the Battleship Kii, and soon joined by the Owari. During the same year her airiwing was upgraded from two Nakajima E8N to three Mitsubishi F1M.