Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 26th, 2015, 8:43 am
Teufel class, Warrior's Southern Friend
[ img ]
This was the first of the steam powered battleships that will come off Lothringenese slipways. This is the lead ship LS Teufel. She has one shaft powered by one trunk steam engine and ten boilers creating a total of 5800 Hp. She is armed with forty-two 6 inch breech-loading guns and twelve 40 pounder breech-loading guns. She has 5 inch of belt armour and 3 inch of bulkhead armour. She has a crew of 710 men. She was commissioned in 1865 and served for ten years. These ships were modeled after the British Warrior class.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 26th, 2015, 3:54 pm
I have three concerns.
The first one has to do with the white paint on the hull. Now, if I understand this right, many cast iron and early steel ships were painted with a black hull color because it was cheap, easy to fix and hid rust spots really well. It would make sense to do this on your ships as well.
The second are your kingdom names. They clearly are inspired by European names (Jutland, Deutsch, Hannover, Holstein) and that would not be the case. I would recommend that you go back a little farther and determine what kind of languages are brought over by the aboriginals or later groups of people. Then (if possible) look up surnames and descriptive words from the area where your language comes from (as most kingdom, town and place names will come from either surnames or descriptive words). This is a fair bit of work, but the result is well worth it. Also, remember that words do get corrupted and can be misspelled/respelled as time goes on (England was Anglaland), so using this, you can get words and names that look/sound similar to the names you have now if you're dead set on these names.
Third, I highly doubt that a kingdom, let along many kingdoms, would be formed as quickly as 200 years after the first recorded settlements. I would rather move the date of the first kingdoms forming into the 5th Century CE or maybe even later than that, maybe to the 10th Century. These are just my thoughts and someone may have a different opinion.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 26th, 2015, 4:19 pm
Hi Ezgo,

With regards to your first point, it's worth noting that tropical-service ships did receive the white paint job as a way to reflect some of the heat impinging upon them - about the best you could do in the days before air conditioning for people within the hull (those above would get awnings, iirc)

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 26th, 2015, 6:48 pm
That is a good point, however, if I assume correctly, Lothringen would not have a wide scope of tropical operations, given it's location in the Indian Ocean.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 12:58 pm
Well Lothringen wanted to distinguish her ships from the European vessels so they painted their ships white to ease recognition. Also it made it harder for enemy vessels to spot them

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 1:25 pm
actually.... white is known to be the colour that reflects lights the best. in sunny circumstances, your ship will be a glowing star. when clouds and sea are grey, your ships will stand out against the grey background. and at night, your ship will be more visible then black and grey opponents.

also, harder to spot with large white sails on them still? uhm.......

in addition, the americans had also white ships (due to them operating a lot under tropical conditions IIRC) but during hostilities they quickly painted their ships grey in most occasions.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 2:05 pm
I must have forgotten about white's reflective properties. Ok, forget the second reason for the white coat. However the new reason is that to keep the temperature down when the ships traveled in the warmer waters of the north of Lothringen. The interior were painted a darker colour to retain the heat during colder weather.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 2:10 pm
Damon class battleships, the first of Lothringenese big gun sea giants
[ img ]
This is Lothringenese class of battleships. These pre-dreadnought battleships were a powerful class of ships. They were armed with a main battery of four 11 inch guns and a secondary battery made of twelve 9 inch guns. They also had two 406 mm torpedo tubes. They had a top speed of 19 knots as it powered by four shafts triple expansion engines producing 18000 hp equaling to 13400 kW. They had a crew of 750. They were protected by 95 to 220 mm of belt armour, 240 mm of turret armour and 30 mm of deck armour. Two of these warships, LS Damon and LS Yuri, were in service between 1905 to 1920. The only ship left is the LS Damon as she resides in Chuikov Stadt as a museum ship. LS Yuri was sunk as a gunnery target ship

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on April 1st, 2015, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 2:12 pm
painting the inside dark will not work. actually, it will work about as well as painting the outside white, offsetting the properties of both.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 2:25 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
painting the inside dark will not work. actually, it will work about as well as painting the outside white, offsetting the properties of both.
Ok, forget the heating reason as well, they just wanted to be different from the European ships. Also, Lothringenese people are very hardy people

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »

Jump to: