Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 610 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 3:11 pm
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
Damon class battleships, the first of Lothringenese big gun sea giants
So you are building a alt Lord Nelson class (may I ask if have gone straight from sails or are there anything in-between ? if not it will be very hard to do !) (IMO I would add a few AC growing bigger by each class of 2 build beforehand )
Quote:
Ten of these warships were commissioned between 1905 to 1920.
Nobody will lay down new post HMS dreadnought (well not after 2/3 years so 1910 max !) (and 20 is huge numbers, go with 2,4,max 6 ?)

Apart from that I like it for a 1905 LD ships (I would go for 2) for a not top tech navy that gets finished 1908-10 kept in service till 1918 (maybe buy a Dreadnought post war for scrap price or maybe you have already build some later in 1910+)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 4:58 pm
I agree with JSB's comments. A lot of times, these pre-dreadnought ships were built in classes of 1, maybe 2, and rarely 3 or more. Plus, the technology was advancing so quickly that a lot of times just after a ship was completed, another one was launched that made it fairly well obsolete. It's possible for you (with a country larger than the UK and the US) to build all 10 of those ships (I don't recommend it) in the course of 2-3 years (like with the King Edward VII class). Just do a little more research on Wiki or something to get a general idea on time frames of certain ships, and work off of that.

Another thing, I was looking at your factsheet and for a 345 million population, you have 8 million men under arms?! That's 2.31% of your population. For a country of your size (or of any size for that matter), you don't need more than 0.5% of your population under arms. What are you afraid of? The US military is significantly less men than Lothringen, and has the largest military to boot, with 10 Aircraft Carriers (275 ships total), 6000 aircraft, and one of the best (and largest) armies, with only 1,360,000 men, for 0.425% of their entire population. Unless you are like North Korea, with a Juche policy, you don't need that many soldiers.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 11:21 pm
JSB wrote:
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
Damon class battleships, the first of Lothringenese big gun sea giants
So you are building a alt Lord Nelson class (may I ask if have gone straight from sails or are there anything in-between ? if not it will be very hard to do !) (IMO I would add a few AC growing bigger by each class of 2 build beforehand )
OK, I will do something about that soon.
Quote:
Ten of these warships were commissioned between 1905 to 1920.
Nobody will lay down new post HMS dreadnought (well not after 2/3 years so 1910 max !) (and 20 is huge numbers, go with 2,4,max 6 ?)
What I meant here was that they were in serviced from 1905 to 1920 not they were brought into service from 1905 to 1920
Apart from that I like it for a 1905 LD ships (I would go for 2) for a not top tech navy that gets finished 1908-10 kept in service till 1918 (maybe buy a Dreadnought post war for scrap price or maybe you have already build some later in 1910+)
What I meant was the ships saw service from 1905 to 1920. They were not introduced into the navy from 1905 to 1920.

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on March 30th, 2015, 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: March 29th, 2015, 11:29 pm
Ok that makes it much better.

(I would still build a series of PDs why not give yourself more nice ships to draw and design a style of your own :D say in batches of 2 or 4, every year or 2)

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: April 1st, 2015, 3:36 am
I have edited the Damon battleship stats, only two of the ships existed

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: April 25th, 2015, 1:04 pm
Himmel class battleship
This class of ships were often shadowed by the larger Damon class battleships. They had four 12 inch guns, eight inch guns, twenty six 6 pounder guns, fourteen 2 pounder guns as their armaments. They are protected by 16 inches of belt armour and 10 mm of deck armour. It has a 2 shaft quadruple expansion engines and 28 boilers creating 15200 hp which equals to 11330 kW. The Himmel class has a top speed of 18.5 knots. These ships were manned by 725 officers and sailors. Two of these ships were built, LS Himmel and LS Isakov. Both ships were scrapped in 1917.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: April 25th, 2015, 3:02 pm
Hi Oberst,

Looks OK, but I do have a query ... quadruple expansion engines? Given that this is earlier in your timeline than the Damon, wouldn't they have triple expansion engines (unless they were a test bed) - it's also worth noting that most marine VTE engines were just that - triples. I assume that the extra weight (and maintenance complexity) of the fourth cylinder is more of a burden than the efficiency gain merits.

Also, the aft portholes appear the be occluded by the walkway.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: April 25th, 2015, 7:30 pm
I agree with Apdsmith's comments about the quad expansion engines. The extra weight and complexity would not make it worthwhile.

Also, it's perfectly fine to use other people's hulls, but it will usually look much better if you make sure the shading is consistent through the whole ship. I'm referring to the hull, which reminds me of Psilander's technique, but it doesn't fit the rest of the ship, and as such, looks out of place, so I would recommend just sticking to one color for the hull and then possibly a slightly darker color for overhangs and things like that.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: April 25th, 2015, 11:45 pm
Himmel class, Redone
[ img ]
ezgo394 wrote:
I agree with Apdsmith's comments about the quad expansion engines. The extra weight and complexity would not make it worthwhile.

Also, it's perfectly fine to use other people's hulls, but it will usually look much better if you make sure the shading is consistent through the whole ship. I'm referring to the hull, which reminds me of Psilander's technique, but it doesn't fit the rest of the ship, and as such, looks out of place, so I would recommend just sticking to one color for the hull and then possibly a slightly darker color for overhangs and things like that.
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Oberst,

Looks OK, but I do have a query ... quadruple expansion engines? Given that this is earlier in your timeline than the Damon, wouldn't they have triple expansion engines (unless they were a test bed) - it's also worth noting that most marine VTE engines were just that - triples. I assume that the extra weight (and maintenance complexity) of the fourth cylinder is more of a burden than the efficiency gain merits.

Also, the aft portholes appear the be occluded by the walkway.

Regards,
Adam
Yes, the Himmel class was used as a testbed for quadruple expansion engines

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 1:19 am
Kampf class Battleship
The Kampf class battleship is a class of two battleships like the previous Himmel and Damon battleships. These ships are armed with eight 12 inch guns and ten 6 inch casemated guns. It is protected by a belt armour that is 254 mm thick and deck armour that is 63.5 mm thick. She has a top speed of 23 knots because of her four steam turbine and 16 boilers. It was manned by a crew of 925 sailors and officers. Both ships were lost in the Battle of Jutland.
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on May 5th, 2015, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 610 »

Jump to: