Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 8:16 am
you know that in real life, no battleships were lost at jutland? why were these lost?

it is looking not bad, but I am a bit worried about where your steam turbines are placed in the hull, as the turret is directly next to the turret.
I have some doubts about those funnels fitting 4 guns next to each other. they look like twins to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 10:32 am
Hi Oberst,

Looks OK, but I have a couple of queries. Your secondary battery casemate guns are right next to your wing turret. This would require a substantial beam to fit in, I think, and the problem could possibly be avoided by moving the casemate guns forward a little.

Also, in terms of internal arrangements, I can see what you're doing as possible with a stern | engine room | turret | boilers | wing turret | more boilers | bridge | turret | bow layout, but I'd worry that this is putting most of your magazines in the middle of the hottest part of the ship, with attendant risks of reduced powder life. Not necessarily unrealistic for something of that era, but something you should be aware of.

I would echo ace's comment about the loss of the ships - I'd understood that everything lost at Jutland had carried significantly less armour than these ships, so not sure what got them (and why what got them also didn't get the RN ships)

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 11:07 am
acelanceloet wrote:
you know that in real life, no battleships were lost at jutland? why were these lost?
apdsmith wrote:
I would echo ace's comment about the loss of the ships - I'd understood that everything lost at Jutland had carried significantly less armour than these ships, so not sure what got them (and why what got them also didn't get the RN ships)
One of the battleships, LS Neumann was lost due to fires and flooding that raged on the ships after battle. The firefighting systems and many of the systems were badly damaged. After that the Lothringenese Federal Navy imposed stricter building codes for all their warships. The other battleship, LS Kampf was lost when starboard turret exploded from German gun fire. This was made worse by the fact that guns were just about to put the charges into the gun when the German rounds hit. This is due to the fact the armour on the turrets were the bare minimal at just 5 inches. This explosion also cause the five casemated 6 inch guns that were very close to the main turrets to explode as well which combined caused the ship to nearly snap into two and sink. That reconfirmed the fear of the Lothringenese Federal Navy about secondary guns mounted in casemates.
acelanceloet wrote:
it is looking not bad, but I am a bit worried about where your steam turbines are placed in the hull, as the turret is directly next to the turret.
I have some doubts about those funnels fitting 4 guns next to each other. they look like twins to me.
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Oberst,

Looks OK, but I have a couple of queries. Your secondary battery casemate guns are right next to your wing turret. This would require a substantial beam to fit in, I think, and the problem could possibly be avoided by moving the casemate guns forward a little.

Also, in terms of internal arrangements, I can see what you're doing as possible with a stern | engine room | turret | boilers | wing turret | more boilers | bridge | turret | bow layout, but I'd worry that this is putting most of your magazines in the middle of the hottest part of the ship, with attendant risks of reduced powder life. Not necessarily unrealistic for something of that era, but something you should be aware of.

Regards,
Adam
The ships were very beamy and they were designed by a very inexperienced engineer (It was a assignment error). Also in 1911, the Lothringenese Federal Navy stopped fitting casemate guns on their warships. Kampf and Neumann supposed to be rebuilt but they were not able to as the LFN was busy building up their naval force that the two were put aside. They were scheduled for refit in 1916 but the Battle of Jutland occurred and they sank.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 4th, 2015, 8:09 pm
Seems legit...

Your casemates on your ship don't have to be centered in the ship. It's common to see them from the bow to the stern, spaced out. American ships had a cluster at the bow, a large cluster at midships, and a complement of 4 or so guns at the stern. I'd recommend ditching the casemate that's in line with the wing turret, move those two sets forward and back a couple pixels, and space them out toward the stern and bow areas.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 5th, 2015, 9:03 am
Okay, I will move the forward casemates farther forward

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 5th, 2015, 9:11 am
Forward casemates of the Kampf class battleship have been moved forward

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 1:46 am
Lothringenese first dreadnought class:
Stahl class battleship
This class of battleship appeared as the Lothringen's response to the emergence of HMS Dreadnought. She was the first dreadnought class of the Lothringenese Federal Navy. The design of the battleship was heavily influenced by the Italian dreadnought Dante Alighieri. The Stahl class battleships had an armament of twelve 12 inch gun mounted in four triple gun turrets. They also have six 120mm secondary guns for close range target. The class are protected by 12 inches of belt armour, 2 inches of deck armour. The gun turrets are protected by 11 inches of armour. This class has 24 boilers powering four steam turbines which produces 33500 hp or 24980 kW. This class has a top speed of 23.5 knots and at a speed of 10 knots can travel to 4750 nautical miles. The class are manned by 975 officers and sailors. Five of these ships were built, LS Stahl, LS Hakarov, LS von Lichtenstein, LS Zakharov and LS Mannerheim. All but Zakharov and Mannerheim were scrapped. Mannerheim was turned into a museum ship after World War 2. Zakharov was sunk as a gunnery target.
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on May 15th, 2015, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 2:53 am
I'm not really knowledgeable, but something seems wrong with this latest design.

And I don't think triple gun turrets were used in 1911.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 3:26 am
Quite a few ships launched in 1911 had triple turrets, though not commissioned until late 1912-1914 they were certainly around

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 7:07 am
looks not too bad!
only 5 remarks:
- just 2 propeller shafts? I would expect 3 or 4
- the armoured belt looks very elaborate but does cover area's that do not need armour that much (such as forward of the A turret)
- you have the turbine room aft or do you have it between the funnels, as in the dante alighieri?
- why does this ship have a slightly higher top speed then the dante while, on first glance, it's speed potential is lower?
- the forward superstructure looks, to me, slightly too modern for 1911 :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »

Jump to: