Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 8th, 2016, 6:27 am
You know the dropbox website saves versions for some time, right? You most likely can still find it on there, go to the file and right click (IIRC) and on the small menu that appears, select old versions (or something like that)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 8th, 2016, 7:31 am
Thank you very much Ace, great information, Worked a treat.

Imperial Ship Alpamayo, Fast Battleship.

Taken in hand for rebuilding, one per year, from 1936 to 1939, with the rebuilds taking two years each the ships re-entered service 1938-41. The Alpamayo was the third of the class to be rebuilt. The new Battleship class was being designed and built at the same time and as many parts as possible were mass produced for the eight ships of the two classes.

[ img ]

The rebuilding was quite a major work with virtually all of the superstructure and secondary/tertiary armaments being removed and replaced with new equipment and superstructure. When this was done the opportunity was taken to replace the old propulsion system with a new set of boilers and turbines. Technology increases meant that a similar sized propulsion package as that removed (120,000shp) produced 140,000shp for an increase of speed from 28 to 30 knots.

Armament at this stage of their careers was:
8 x 15" (4x2)
20 x 130mm (10x2)
12 x 40mm (6x2)
26 x 20mm (26x1)

4 Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 8th, 2016, 3:20 pm
Looks good, she has a sort of Brit/American feel mixed with your original Incan features.

As for the DD funnel matter, if I had done a similar work I would have credited the funnel's original arstist/s (basically, I use to credit anyone parts of work that do not come out of the part sheets).
The revised funnels, on the other hand are pretty different and I suppose you've drawn them yourself, so no credits are needed there.

That said, keep up your good work :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 12th, 2016, 10:12 am
Anarak Class Heavy Cruisers.

Like all of the signatories to the Washington treaty, the Incan Empire built cruisers right up to and beyond the 10,000 ton limit. Eight inch guns were the maximum allowed and that was what the Incan designers allowed for. A new triple turret was also designed for the new guns and three were fitted, two forward and one aft. The armouring was modest with a 3" belt and 1.5" deck. The most armour was fitted around the propulsion and magazines where 3.5" armour was placed.

[ img ]

Statistics for the class of six was:

Displacement: 10,740 tons standard, 14,150 full load.
Dimensions: 608 x 66 x 26 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft, steam turbines, 78,000shp
Speed: 32 knots
Endurance: 8400 miles at 15 knots
Armour: 3" belt, 1.5" deck, 3.5" turrets
Armament:
9 x 8" (3x3)
6 x 100mm (6x1)
6 x 37mm (6x1)
Torpedoes: 12 x 21" (4x3)
Aircraft: 2
Crew: 630

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 13th, 2016, 9:01 am
Heavy Cruiser Anarak Late 1930's to 1941 upgrades.

As their general refit times came due between 1938 and 1940, the six ships of the Anarak Class were upgraded to improve their equipment. This replaced the single four inch with twins, the single 37mm with twin and quad 40mm, additional 20mm single mounts added. Fire control was improved with early radar assisted directors being fitted for the 8", 4" and 40mm.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 19th, 2016, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 16th, 2016, 1:13 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Anarak Class Heavy Cruisers.

Like all of the signatories to the Washington treaty, the Incan Empire built cruisers right up to and beyond the 10,000 ton limit. Eight inch guns were the maximum allowed and that was what the Incan designers allowed for. A new triple turret was also designed for the new guns and three were fitted, two forward and one aft. The armouring was modest with a 3" belt and 1.5" deck. The most armour was fitted around the propulsion and magazines where 3.5" armour was placed.

[ img ]

Statistics for the class of six was:

Displacement: 10,740 tons standard, 14,150 full load.
Dimensions: 608 x 66 x 26 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft, steam turbines, 78,000shp
Speed: 32 knots
Endurance: 8400 miles at 15 knots
Armour: 3" belt, 1.5" deck, 3.5" turrets
Armament:
9 x 8" (3x3)
6 x 100mm (6x1)
6 x 37mm (6x1)
Torpedoes: 12 x 21" (4x3)
Aircraft: 2
Crew: 630

Handsome ship and beautifully drawn. Are those Springsharp numbers? The ship seems underpowered and overarmd to me for speed and displacement. Could be wrong about it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 16th, 2016, 1:34 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Quitosuyu Class Battleship.

The Quitosuyu class followed the layout of the German Brandenburg class battleships with a central 'Q' turret. But where the Brandenburg's had different calibres between the A/B and Q turrets the Quitosuyu's had one calibre only. While the extra turret gave it a 50% increase in firepower it was never in consideration for the first 'all big gun' battleship nomination. The Incan capital ships (indeed all the 'Pyramid' ships) needed to be slightly longer and wider to preserve stability that would otherwise be compromised by the Pyramid addition.

[ img ]

The four ships of the Quitosuyu class made a favourable impression overseas, and because of the First World War, served over 20 years in the Incan Navy. At 16,000 tons displacement they were some of the largest warships yet built. 460 feet long was average, but the breadth of 82 feet was more than most. The boiler rooms were all forward between the A to Q barbettes, while the engine room was situated under the aft superstructure. The triple expansion machinery produced 18,000hp through four shafts for 18 knots maximum speed. Armed with six by twelve inch main guns in three twin turrets, the layout proved successful in action. Secondary weaponry was made up of eight single six inch guns mounted in casemates, and like most navies found that the casemates suffered severely from any sort of seaway washing out the working areas. Anti-torpedo boat guns of 100mm were fitted with four in the forward superstructure and one each on the A and Y 12" turrets. Unlike a lot of their competitors the Quitosuyu class had no submerged torpedoes and had no torpedoes at all fitted.

IS Quitosuyu (1898) Service/Fate:

IS Nazcasuyu (1898) Service/Fate:

IS Tumbesuyu (1899) Service/Fate:

IS Amazonisuyu (1900) Service/Fate:
Someone has been looking at the SKS Brandenburg for inspiration. Is that design top-heavy?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 16th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Howdy Tobius, thanks for your queries.

Yes, the Quitosuyu is definitely a clone of the Brandenburg. I always thought the Brandenburgs would have been much more influential if all the 11" had been the same calibre. The beam is about 4 feet wider than equivalent sized ship to take the extra weight and top-weight of the pyramid structure.

With the cruiser Anarak, it is smaller than a UK County, and about the same size as a New Orleans class. The Counties make 31.5 knots on 80,000shp with a 630x68 hull with bulges. So I might be a little light on shp, maybe 80 to 82,000 for 32 knots. The main armament is the same as the New Orleans, which then has the 8x5" singles to the Anaraks 6x4" singles.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: January 19th, 2016, 6:40 pm
Upgraded a drawing of the Admiral Anarak Cruiser class with new turrets.

[ img ]

The pyramid structures had to be removed from designs of the cruisers that were weight limited. The 10,000 ton limit was harsh enough without losing an extra 500 tons or more on the Pyramid.

I did forget to answer Tobius' query on Springsharp. I do not use springsharp, I use real world ships to base the tonnage to dimension numbers on and tailor the armament to same/similar amounts as the base ship. The original base numbers I used for the Anarak was from the Wichita.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: The Incan Empire.Posted: February 1st, 2016, 9:10 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Merry Xmas to one and all.

Imperial Ship Condor (CV-1940)

During the 1930's when other navies were upgrading their facilities, the Empire had little reserves for the Navy to upgrade its infrastructure, most of the Imperial War Budget had been spent on the Army and creating the Army and Navy Air forces. The largest building docks available could handle ships no more than 790 feet in length. This length was fine for the Treaty battleships and the Yupanqui class showed what could be done. However the aircraft carrier was a different beast. The CV required as much hull volume as possible for their main task of housing, feeding, launching and recovering aircraft. The Incan designers wanted to build the biggest aircraft carrier they could but were limited by the docks available. With the Yupanqui class under construction only two slightly smaller docks were available until the new 1100 foot docks that were to be constructed were completed. The Imperial designers were nothing if not innovative. By collapsing the wall between two of the smaller docks a catamaran hull could be built. The cat-a-carrier was born.

There are so many things for and against this design. I am sure everybody will want to make a comment telling me why it will either work or not work. I have done this as a semi-serious bit of work and my apologies to Bombhead, whose nice drawing I have butchered.

[ img ]

You will note from the bottom drawing that I have shown the anchor points of the catamaran 'join' between the hulls.
Great art work. I mean that is a good effort.

Now why will it not work?

Practically I can sum it up to plane handling problems and the flight deck wobble and air over the decks problem.

Unless you are trying to tell me that you land starboard and launch port?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: