Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 7:30 pm
I agree on the reduction in weapons on the cutter vs. the corvette.

On the corvette itself, I would standardized on either an ESSM/Standard missile combo, or the Barak 1/8 combo. The original design included both, but that was for Israel, which builds the later, and could buy the former (although, on such a hull, I doubt they would*). As for the timeline, I actually don't see a War of 1812 analog happening, simply because the weakness in the US fleet that was caused by the Jeffersonians can't happen here (The Jeffersonians wanted to decrease the fleet so that US trade wouldn't be a think, forcing New England traders to become farmers). This has little impact downstream, but was something I thought should be said.

In fact, I'd expect a MU fleet to be historically based around trade protection, and long range, expeditionary conflict (with the exceptions of possible conflicts around the Saint Lawrence Sea Way and the Chesapeake bay. Both of those however, would favor air power. The exact disposition of forces on the great lakes is something that I'd think you would want to evaluate (with respect to any MU/UK/USN(orth)A treaties.

*The Israelis might, but their navy is crazy, and not in a good way.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 10:33 pm
TimothyC wrote:
I agree on the reduction in weapons on the cutter vs. the corvette.

On the corvette itself, I would standardized on either an ESSM/Standard missile combo, or the Barak 1/8 combo. The original design included both, but that was for Israel, which builds the later, and could buy the former (although, on such a hull, I doubt they would*). As for the timeline, I actually don't see a War of 1812 analog happening, simply because the weakness in the US fleet that was caused by the Jeffersonians can't happen here (The Jeffersonians wanted to decrease the fleet so that US trade wouldn't be a think, forcing New England traders to become farmers). This has little impact downstream, but was something I thought should be said.

In fact, I'd expect a MU fleet to be historically based around trade protection, and long range, expeditionary conflict (with the exceptions of possible conflicts around the Saint Lawrence Sea Way and the Chesapeake bay. Both of those however, would favor air power. The exact disposition of forces on the great lakes is something that I'd think you would want to evaluate (with respect to any MU/UK/USN(orth)A treaties.

*The Israelis might, but their navy is crazy, and not in a good way.
Okay, so I got rid of all the missiles on the corvette except for the ESSM. I honestly know nothing about missiles (I had to look up a picture of the ESSM just to know which one it was), so if I did anything wrong here, or if I do anything wrong in the future with respect to missiles, I'm counting on you and other more knowledgeable members to call me out.
[ img ]

I was considering your comments regarding the War of 1812 equivalent and, on second thought, I agree with you. Actually, one of the harder things in researching and writing that timeline was finding people to be PM since so many early US presidents were from Virginia and the southern states.
And, with regards to the basis of the Maritime Navy's history, I had the same idea. A navy based around protection of Maritime trade interests around the world. In other words, a cruiser and destroyer centric fleet in the WWI-WWII era. For now, I'll just be sticking with the modern navy of the MU, but, when I finish that at some point in the future, I'll probably make some historical ships from that era.

Thanks for your suggestions,
tsd715

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 10:49 pm
That's actually Standard, not ESSM ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 10:51 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
That's actually Standard, not ESSM ;)
Oh, well that shows you how little I know about missiles. Could you post a picture of an ESSM from a parts sheet so I can copy and paste it on?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 10:55 pm
The ESSM (or RIM-162) is the second to last missile on this sheet (on the left). Using this very same sheet you can also distinguish each USN-built missile.
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 12th, 2015, 10:58 pm
BB1987 wrote:
The ESSM (or RIM-162) is the second to last missile on this sheet (on the left). Using this very same sheet you can also distinguish each USN-built missile.
[ img ]
Thank you! This will be very helpful.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 4:23 pm
So here is the backbone of the Maritime Navy, the Dauntless-class frigate:
[ img ]

And the uniforms of the Maritime Navy:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 4:34 pm
5 comments on your frigate:
- there is something funky going on with your text
- design wise, she looks quite ok, quite good even
- however, the drawing looks quite dated. I think you'll agree with me that the old drawings on the archive are quite visible to be surpassed by better sources, better drawing programs and if I may say so, better artists. using the latest parts and giving a small update toe the shading of this design (and possibly even add an underwater hull) would improve this drawing immensely
- the SMART-L radar and the Herakles radar.... I have never seen them together and I am not certain they should be. Herakles especially is designed to be the single radar on board vessels, doing fire control and surveillance all on it's own. it is designed for the guidance of ASTER.
the SMART-L on the other hand is an long range surveillance radar. there is no reason not have them together (they do not interfere with each others frequency bands) but they might be doing quite a lot of each others job, which sounds costly.
- last but not least, you have sea wolf on board, which you have no guidance equipment for. ASTER is active, while Sea Wolf is IIRC semi-active, so it cannot be guided by the same type of radar. I also think ASTER 15 kind of replaced sea wolf anyways, so why do you have it on board?

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 8:40 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
5 comments on your frigate:
- there is something funky going on with your text
- design wise, she looks quite ok, quite good even
- however, the drawing looks quite dated. I think you'll agree with me that the old drawings on the archive are quite visible to be surpassed by better sources, better drawing programs and if I may say so, better artists. using the latest parts and giving a small update toe the shading of this design (and possibly even add an underwater hull) would improve this drawing immensely
- the SMART-L radar and the Herakles radar.... I have never seen them together and I am not certain they should be. Herakles especially is designed to be the single radar on board vessels, doing fire control and surveillance all on it's own. it is designed for the guidance of ASTER.
the SMART-L on the other hand is an long range surveillance radar. there is no reason not have them together (they do not interfere with each others frequency bands) but they might be doing quite a lot of each others job, which sounds costly.
- last but not least, you have sea wolf on board, which you have no guidance equipment for. ASTER is active, while Sea Wolf is IIRC semi-active, so it cannot be guided by the same type of radar. I also think ASTER 15 kind of replaced sea wolf anyways, so why do you have it on board?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to fix some things later today. Could you give me some specific ways to bring the drawing up to more current standards?
As always, you give great advice,
Tsd715

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 9:27 pm
well the first thing to bring her up to spec would be an underwater hull, but that is only if you feel you are up to drawing (or finding) an accurate one. next step would be to check if the style of drawing corners matches (for example, on the fore mast and bridge some corners are black, on the aft mast and funnel angles which are quite similar are grey. check if the shading style matches on the entire drawing (forward light and aft facing surfaces darker, for example) and of course the parts :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: