Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 25 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27 28 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: December 4th, 2022, 9:39 am
That's a surprising switch for this AU.
So many double-enders, they look good though.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: December 4th, 2022, 12:12 pm
Hood wrote: *
That's a surprising switch for this AU.
So many double-enders, they look good though.
Thank you :D

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: December 4th, 2022, 12:23 pm
Another one, a bit more classic!

F80
The F80 class it was a series of ferries build in around the 60's-70's, they was to replace an aging fleet of medium sized ferries. The most popular size of the F80 class was the 60-70 meter range, some was rather large. A class of ferries that was loved by many, specially for it's beautiful lines. Due to it single propeller installation, the ferry needed an experienced captain at helm to handle them, well and to get the best performance out of them, later in their carrier they would receive a bow-thruster to somewhat help on the docking. This class was a the starting point for modern ferries in "Davies & co ferry company".

-----------------
Class: F80
Operator: "Davies & co ferry company"
Build: 1965-1973
Ordered: 23
In service: 0
Reserve: 10
Scrapped: 13
-----------------
Type: combined passenger and ferry
Displacement: 1200 tons
Length: 67,2 meters
Beam: 10,1 meters
Draft: 4,11 meters
powerplant: 1 x Beffer Cam4, 1700 bhp
Speed: max 14,8 knots
Passengers: 175
Vehicles: 50 cars
-----------------
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 5th, 2023, 8:24 pm
A little Army!

In the 60's there was seen a need for a tank that could hold it's own against other tanks, with superior firepower and better armor, that could serve in the military for many years to come. The project for such a tank took a long time, but eventually in the 70's Markswerker industry could present a new large tank that was fast called by the media as a heavy tank, due to it's size and superiority over other tank Caledonia had in it's arsenal at that time. The military called it the Mark 14 "Action IV" MBT.

The army ordered more than 700 of them. In test it's 130mm cannon showed how powerful it was, compared to other guns in the military arsenal. It was fast proclaimed by Caledonia tankers: "if we see you, you have lost!". It was also noted that it was able to punch or severly damage current on ground bunkers/fortification.

-----------------------
Mark 14 "Action IV"
In production: 1953-1973
Moto: "we hit, you lose"
Build: 320
in reserve: 200
Lost: 16
-----------------------
Mass: 66 tonns
Length: 8,05m; 12.22m
Width: 4,03m
Height: 3,16m
Crew: 4
-----------------------
Armour: from 165 to 280mm
Main armament: 1 x C3S130; 130 mm Smooth bor
Secondary armament: 2 x 7.62 mm Standard machine gun
Engine: B&H M4V16; 920 hp
Power/weight: 14hp/tonne
Suspension: Modified Horstmann suspension
Operational range: 150-180km
Maximum speed: 39 km/h
-----------------------

[ img ]

-----------------------
In 1981 there was done an upgrade on the design ot the Mark 14, changing it into Mark 14B. There was noted som issues with the original design, but also some problem with it's armor protection, mainly on the turret, after the Army did a live fire exercise where a couple hull was used some targets again the 130mm cannons, but also from cannons from other nations that was invited over for the exercise, during the exercise other nation had opportunity to mount on those tanks other type of "equipment" for testing, to see what will happen.

Upgrade package all Mark 14 Action IV received:
- armor fix to the turret cheeks.
- an a add on armor plate on the front of the turret.
- protection around exhaust, mainly for crew.
- 2 larger fans for engine compartment
- upgraded communication systems
- adjustment to gunnery and command center
- open basket, aft on the turret, replaced with boxes, where one of the boxes have an integrated tent.
- internal ammunition protection improvement.
- The B&H M4V16, got upgraded and tunet, and is now producing 980 hp, mainly thanks to new fuel system and other small improvement. (only on those produced after 1981, and those that come in for their main service periode)
- New gearbox (only on those produced after 1981, and those that come in for their main service periode)

-----------------------
Mark 14B "Action IV"
In production: 1973-1978
Moto: "we hit, you lose"
Build: 100
in reserve: 0
Lost: 0
-----------------------
Mass: 68 tonns
Length: 8,05m; 12.22m
Width: 4,03m
Height: 3,16m
-----------------------
Armour: from 165 to 280mm; extra armor on turret checks
Main armament: 1 x C3S130; 130 mm Smooth bor
Secondary armament: 2 x 7.62 mm Standard machine gun
Engine: B&H M4V16-T; 980 hp
Power/weight: 14.4hp/tonne
Suspension: Modified Horstmann suspension
Operational range: 150-180km
Maximum speed: 40 km/h
-----------------------

[ img ]

-----------------------
in 1995 Mark 14B the oldest hull was starting to be put in storage, but after a change in military strategy for protection of Caledonia many Islands, there was decided to start several small armored units inside the Home guard. They would consist of small units, with 1-3 tanks in units, supported by small scouts, usually 40mm armed scouts. The setup of these units could look like this (would change from place to place):

small unit
- 1 main tank
- 2 scout vehicle
- 2-3 troop transport
- Occasionally 4 smaller transport, with towed small howitzer/cannon (usually 65-90mm) (some units had 105mm)
- 14-20 soldiers

large unit
- 3+ main tank
- 6+ scout vehicle
- 10+ troop transport (equipped with large caliber mortar)
- Occasionally up to 10 smaller transport, with towed small howitzer/cannon (usually 65-90mm) (some units had 105mm)
- 140+ soldiers
- 1-2 SPG

This setup was to ensure that a few small units in the area could respond fast and hold an area for a time-periode if not push back.

Most of the home guard 14B was upgraded to 14D, when more current soldiers, with experience with more modern technology and systems then what 14B had, started to serve in the home guard. So instead of sending current in service modern tanks to the home guard, it was decided to massively upgrade all Mark 14B into the Mark 14D "Super Action", it was the most significant upgrade the series received in modern time. And put all in service units and home guard units on same level as modern MBT. The Upgrade consisted of:

- Refurbished and redesignet turret, with a new magazine in the rear of the turret. (turret was splitt in half, and rebuild) (blow out panel)
- turret and hull received new classified armor
- APS system
- Main armament was replaced with a new and larger gun, capable to fire all standard Caledonia 130mm ammo.
- New fire control for main armament.
- added on to the barrel, is 4 center mounted rocket launcher
- Upgraded gun stabilization
- new and upgraded Secondary armament, with remote control, that also can sport target for the main armament.
- commander received a new sight and lockout, and can identify targets and lock on to it, the new turret control will automatically turn turret toward target
- new digitalized communication system, communicating with all plattforms.
- new engine, same engine as in current service main battle tanks of the Caledonia Army.
- new gearbox
- improved suspension

Due to this massive upgrade that basically changed this old hull design into a totally new and modern tank, there was placed in an order for the army as well, included with those that got upgraded for the home guard. In the army they got used as a more in an heavy assault units. Specially in operation where there was expected to meet hostile tanks.

-----------------------
Mark 14D "Super Action IV"
In production: 1998-2005
Moto: "Digitalize this"
Build: 250 (include upgraded version and new build)
in reserve: 0
Lost: 0
-----------------------
Mass: 78 tonns
Length: 8,05m; 12.85m
Width: 4,18m
Height: 3,21m
-----------------------
Armour: from 155 to 480mm, in combination of classified steal/carbon/ceramic/fiber armor
Main armament: 1 x C8S130; 130 mm Smooth bor
Secondary armament: 1 x 7.62 mm Standard machine gun, remote controlled
Engine: B&H M12V16; 1800 hp
Power/weight: 23,7hp/tonne
Suspension: improved Horstmann suspension
Operational range: 200km
Maximum speed: 60 km/h
-----------------------

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 7th, 2023, 11:13 pm
I am unsure if I am going to proceed with this drawing :!:

It started of with the "coast guard challenge", And I was thinking about a little larger coast guard vessel, equipped with UAV and helicopter. Have it's own hospital, and space enough to basically rescue passengers/crew of a smaller cruise ships or be a in between station for such a rescue, with the necessary space for such people. Then I was starting to think, what can the vessel do in wartime, go back to port and rearm with better weapons or become a part of the supply chain, I decided on the lather then the first, there wouldn't be enough time to do any large re-armament, but there should at least be space for some limited armament.

I decided to draw it like this, just to see how much space major equipment need in the vessel, interesting to see how much space engines need, specially in this layoute I chose, I could of course be more space efficient, and move booth main diesel engine to aft of the turbine, to where I have placed two flank battery. But there is som advantage and disadvantages to have it spread out like this.

So my questions is:
- overboard (even I call it in my file name on my computer as "abnormal large coast guard vessel"
- toughs
- suggestions
- It is probably not a cost guard vessel anymore?!?
- what type of simple armament could it have (in war)
- radar suggestions (had been funny, giving it SPY-1K)
- size adjustment, currently around 150m (note: on the top view: from the black line (stern) to the first orange line, it's 100px. all main sections is 100px sizes, and it's 10 sections in length, each of those sections is a basic representation of compartment)

I will not work on the drawing for some time, giving you people time to say something. Thus when I start to do changes, after your suggestion, I haven't done any changes or drawn so much, that it will be irritating to basically redraw everything.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 8th, 2023, 11:07 am
Super Conqueror tanks, nice!

Yes, the Project 1018 does look rather top-end for a coast guard ship.
What are the massive battery banks for?
I think the diesels might be better behind the turbine for compactness.
Are stern-launched RHIBs a good idea? I've seen pros and cons for this layout, especially if you are operating in heavy seas.
Radar wouldn't need to much more than a surveillance search and couple of nav sets.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 8th, 2023, 9:03 pm
Some changes done, to it:

- Both large main diesel engine moved aft of gas turbine
- shorten with around 17 meter, by removing the compartment the diesel engine was in, and removing a little on the length on the stern. It is now around 141 meter in length
- removing a little of the superstructure between funnel and hangar, making the deck around the funnel a bit more open.
- changed the bow into a more classic ice-strengthened bow, that should handle close to a meter of ice.
- a small adjustment to funnel.

Things I am thinking about:
- make the superstructure over the hangar, smaller and into a flight deck control.
- make the main mast a little higher, to give space for the necessary electronics and a spotting deck for when going in ice.
- change 56 mm gun with a 40mm gun.
- move main gun forward and put it on an elevator like the Norwegian coast guard did on one of their class of coast guard ships. freeing the deck up for helicopter operation.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 14th, 2023, 3:20 am
After some small adjustment her and there, this is the current version of a large Coast Guard ship in the Caledonia navy.

Future large coast guard ship project (L-CGX)

Project 1018, is a class of Coast Guard vessels currently being designed of the Caledonia Navy and thus haven't received name as of yet. The Navy had a large requirement list, for a class of ship that was going to be a totally new type of vessel in the coast guard division, totally different from previous coast guard vessels build for the Caledonia Navy, coast guard division (CGDiv).

The requirement list from both the coast guard and the Navy:
- Large flexible deck that can support the navy.
- Capable to keep up with other surface ships of the Navy
- Capability to go into ice. DNV GL regulation, ICE -1A*F or ICE-15A*F (1 meter or 1.5 meter of ice) for high-powered ships.
- Onboard hospital or can be easily rigged up as a hospital
- Capacity to evacuate people (minimum 450)
- Flight deck rigged to handle medium size drones for scouting
- 2 or more helicopters
- multiple boats
- ready for heavier armament (16-48 VLS) (ready for and plug and play electronics)
- Using same electronics and communications system as rest of the Navy, so it can get tactical information from all military system.
- Command facility
- Light armament to deal with air-targets and surface targets.

The project was given to a smaller shipyard on one of the many Caledonia islands, REF Shipyard ltd, Working together AB tech ltd. to develop the new class of large coast guard ships. There was many problems, like for example choosing between powerful but large Beffer ltd GJC7600-series turbine, or us the more compact GE LM2500+ with slightly less power. How big should the flex deck be, and how tall. How to solve the flight deck problem. And many more problems.

--------------------------------
Name: Project 1018
Operators: Caledonia Navy and the coast guard division
Shipyard: REF Shipyard ltd
Planned: 8
Build: 0
Type: (Large) Offshore patrol vessel and transport
Displacement: estimated: 10.000 tons
Length: 137,16 meters (450 feet)
Beam: 23 meters (75,46 feet)
Draft: With sonar: 8,08 meters (26,5 feet)
Ice class: DNV GL: ICE-15A*F (1.5 meter ice)

Power-plant and propulsion: CODLAG (can run the propulsion on single engine)
- 1 x GE LM2500+; 40.500 shp or Beffer ltd GJC7600; 48.000 shp (equipped with a generator, for when it operate as an emergency power station)
- 2 x Wärtsilä generator: 7.000 shp each
- 3 x Wärtsilä generator: 1500 shp each
- Ability to operate as powerplant for local community in emergencies

Speed: estimated: 27-29 knots

Crew: Cabins for 125, crew size under standard operation 50+ 20 aviation team.

Sensors:
- EADS TRS-3D 16 ES air/surface (200km range, gun fire support, tracking capacity 3D >750 targets)
- Phased illumination radar for gun and missile control.
- 2 main Navigation
- 2 light Navigation sensors
- 5+ communication dish
- Alle other standard coms systems!
- light sonar with some mine detection capability
Ready for
- additional illumination radar.
- additional electronics.
- Towed sonar (flex deck)

Armarment:
- 1 x Bofors 56mm Mk3 (or equivalent from Caledonia Navy arsenal)
- 1 x AB tech. DV6-1. (in house developed, light weight and cheap, 5 barrel, remote controlled and partially automatic racket launcher) (firing: wire guided and heat seeking rocket, can fire other types as well)
Ready for:
- 1 x 35 or 40 mm cannon (over the helicopter deck)
- DV6-1 replaced by a bolt on deck NASAM-launcher)
- Mk41 32 cell VLS
- Torpedo (flex deck and hangar)
- Mines (flex deck)

Flex deck: Environment operations, towed equipment's, berthing/hospits, hospitals, cargo. (ramp and small cargo elevator inside the (flex) hangar.
Flex deck size: (Current design) 21meter x 63meter (1323m²)
Flight deck: (Current design) 42meter x 23 meter (966m²)
(flex) Hangar: (current design) 22meter x 23 meter (525mm²) (not taking account for for port funnel and hallways/storage/workshop)
Aviation: 2 medium helicopters (NH90 or similar), various type of drones, up to 12 drones from light to medium size

[ img ]

Last edited by heuhen on January 27th, 2023, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 14th, 2023, 11:26 am
It certainly looks very impressive and very capable, pricey too but hey you can't have all the toys and not pay for them!

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 14th, 2023, 1:15 pm
Hood wrote: *
It certainly looks very impressive and very capable, pricey too but hey you can't have all the toys and not pay for them!
thanks.

yes it's gona be pricey. but it's just around half a meter to a meter longer then the new Norwegian coast guard ships. but I have a little more stuff in mine, mainly due to it's role.

Caledonia consist of many islands, so paying for a few coast guard ships that can help local community on those islands with emergency electricity, hospital, goods, etc. would be beneficial.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 25 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27 28 »

Jump to: