Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 728 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 5th, 2016, 5:52 pm
an abnormally strengthened hull will also be heavier (as will be an armoured deck) so you will be running into topweight issues. at the very least, you can bring less helicopters and other useful stuff with your due to limited weight and space (as heavier construction also takes more place)
note that around your elevator there are large holes still in your inner hull and deck, as there are near your superstructure (intakes and uptakes) which you will have to reinforce additionally.

so yeah, it is not impossible to build the ship like this but it really will be an tradeoff.
as for the director, depending on the year this would be an STIR 180 or the M45 director, I think. another egg would work too.

EDIT: you will also need expansion joints in your 'hanging on' structure, otherwise it will add to the construction and become the weakest link.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 5th, 2016, 6:22 pm
Hi ya Heuhen,

If you have Helo Ops and maybe Aircraft Ops going on, might it be an idea to have a seperate ammunition lift from the ships magazine?

Otherwise, I like her mate, not that I have any expertise in these things :D

Nice drawing :!:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 5th, 2016, 6:26 pm
I interpreted all of the boat cutouts to be contained to the sponsons, which I wouldn't expect to contribute all that much to the strength of the girder, since their lowermost extent is near the neutral axis.

I'm wondering if there's a better spot to put the VLS. Right now, it's seriously constraining deck spotting of your helos.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 5th, 2016, 6:50 pm
Noted, and will do some changes..
Quote:
so yeah, it is not impossible to build the ship like this but it really will be an tradeoff.
to do the impossible, possible... well this is 1980'ish and not modern time and honeycomb construction ideas.. I have to find out where my tradeoff have to go.
Quote:
an abnormally strengthened hull will also be heavier (as will be an armoured deck) so you will be running into topweight issues. at the very least, you can bring less helicopters and other useful stuff with your due to limited weight and space (as heavier construction also takes more place)
What if I go for and Strengthened hull in important areas, the increased compartment in the hull it self, is strengthening the hull more then enough.. I think.

What if the flight deck is an strengthened deck, with armor in important area.
Quote:
as for the director, depending on the year this would be an STIR 180 or the M45 director, I think. another egg would work too.
A double egg ship... I like that idea, The ship with Egg's
Quote:
EDIT: you will also need expansion joints in your 'hanging on' structure, otherwise it will add to the construction and become the weakest link.
I will remove 50% of the boats. let it go to internal space.
Quote:
note that around your elevator there are large holes still in your inner hull and deck, as there are near your superstructure (intakes and uptakes) which you will have to reinforce additionally.
-I'll think I move the big elevator more aft and in to the center of the hull. (wondering how small the elevator can be, before the carrier loos it's status as an backup aircraft carrier)

I'm wondering, is it possible to splitt the hangar in two, with a wall or beams along the center-line of the ship, getting a starboard hangar and port hanger... losing some internal space

Empty drawing, playing with the arangement:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/887 ... 0empty.PNG

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's a better spot to put the VLS. Right now, it's seriously constraining deck spotting of your helos.
What If I move them on deck instead, perhaps in front of the superstructure, there is an empty area there.

Quote:
If you have Helo Ops and maybe Aircraft Ops going on, might it be an idea to have a seperate ammunition lift from the ships magazine?
Noted: I didn't think on adding it... but always nice to have

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 6th, 2016, 1:01 am
Amazing ships really admire your work thanks for showing us this

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: May 7th, 2016, 5:21 pm
Hi, Heuhen. Astonishing Fleet!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: April 8th, 2017, 7:46 pm
I have re-uploaded old drawings in earlier post.. if I have forgot something...

The Conquer class
Artillery ship/Battleship

After 1930 the Navy started working on planes for a new class of battleship. Those battleships was to replace the aging Forth class Heavy Dreadnought. after a 5 year discussion!!! The Navy decided that they wasn't going to change to much to the old battleship/dreadnought design. But instead improv them with new technology and new way to armor those ships. They wasn't as fast as other Navy's modern battleships with their top speed of 26+knots, but they Navy didn't believe in Battleship vs Battleship scenario anymore, those task was left to aircraft carriers and submarines. The task for this battleship was to become an large Artillery platform. and for that, they went for 3 different large calibred guns.

They was armed with:

- 3 X improved twin 380mm/52 Befer model XV super heavy main guns
- 2 X triple 180mm/60 Befer D60F18 model VI
- 8 X twin 135mm/61 Befer XJ61DP Dual purpose guns
- 6 X quad 40mm Bofors
- 36 X twin 20mm machine guns

There was only build two ship in the class, and was very often flagship in the Navy for various fleet or squadron. Thus they always had two High ranking officers, When operated as flagship of the Navy, a Fleet Admiral usually had command. In Caledonia a Fleet Admiral rank was similar as other Navy's Fleet admiral in rank, but in Caledonian Navy, any admiral ranked officer that was given command of an fleet could be called a Fleet admiral, But they could not carry the rank, or uniform of an Fleet admiral jus called Fleet Admiral... sometimes that could become quite confusing. It was only the King that could promote an high ranking officer, to an Fleet admiral. He would then be an "Fleet Admiral of royal rank", the uniform of an Royal admiral, differ from an Normal admiral uniform. Amongst admirals an admiral of royal rank was the "Hollywood star".

[ img ]

During the project there was proposed Heavy cruiser variant of the design:

They was either looked at as an to bad design or to costly design, compared to what you get. As an admiral said: "Overkill and nonsense!"
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: April 8th, 2017, 8:04 pm
looks strange, but marvelous at the same time. And the drawing is good too

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: April 8th, 2017, 10:59 pm
Long time no see on this AU. Good work on these strange looking ships heuhuen.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: April 9th, 2017, 11:45 am
I suspect the superstructure and especially bread just going to run into problems with the beam. I certainly had issues with a similar wedge shaped structure on my supersized Peder Skram. Have you tried drawing a topview?
Sterling work otherwise.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 728 »

Jump to: