Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 25 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 25th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Hi Tobius

This is the best I could find:

[ img ]

It has the most resemblance to the photographs.

If you don't mind, a few cents from me:
- The masts should be much thinner and slightly raked. The ratlines look good!
- The funnels also have a little rake, and very prominent steam tubes attached to them.
- The structure in front of the foremast is a roofed-over searchlight platform, not the bridge. The bridge is where you put the searchlight platform.
- There is at least one imperial era parts sheet for the German fleet which will make it much easier for you, especially the boats.
- The lines at the bow and the stern could use some streamlining.
- Unless you deliberately changed the paintwork of German ships of that era, they should use 1896 grey, meaning the upperworks are in a lighter shade of gray (the hull grey is OK). The lower hull was a more brownish hue. For ships on the Far East station in peacetime (I don't know how thoroughly the vile German imperialists prepared their deplorable attempt to reap the rewards of other people's wars of aggression in your AU, so it's essentially your coice), a white-buff livery much like the USN's was used.

Colour examples:

[ img ]
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 25th, 2017, 12:42 pm
[ img ]

Revised, cleaned up and modified to account for the sail rig, the jib cranes for handling boats, the Nordenfeld guns, and the torpedoes. (I did not know that SMS Irene carried torpedoes. I thought she was a gun boat.) I figured this should be fairly close to what she actually looked like in 1897 when she was in her war paint for the troubles the Germans had with the Chinese over Tsingtsao.

===================================================

P.S. DARN! I tried hard to go by the illustration that showed her here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Irene.jpg

I knew I was off a bit, (as was the postcard illustrator), but this new information is depressing. The whole superstructure is wrong. Thank you, Garlicdesign.

P.P.S ReginaMarina, the plans and illustrations I used were to get a sense of scale. I'm still off by at least a meter asfar as I can determine. Before Garlic design came up with his line drawing I had to guess at the below water line (Gerfion was the model for that). There's surprisingly little detail about the Irene aside from photographs, no detail engineering drawings, not even model builder renders.

I will have another stab at it, when I study the new information.

Last edited by Tobius on March 25th, 2017, 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 25th, 2017, 12:47 pm
I see you used the plans to trace your drawing. Nothing wrong with that, but make sure you erase the plans, as I can see you left some of them on your drawing.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 26th, 2017, 2:14 am
(I don't know how thoroughly the vile German imperialists prepared their deplorable attempt to reap the rewards of other people's wars of aggression in your AU, so it's essentially your c[h]oice.).

I think I want to point out that "vile German imperialists" is somewhat unfair in 1898. Nor do "I" believe that nonsense, because the history RTL does not support that supposition. The Germans did not actually cook up a warplan (Mahan and Crowninshield) to wipe Spain out as a colonial power. The Germans sought to bargain for colonies, cash on the barrel head, first with Spain, then with Aguinaldo and his crew of "rebels" and finally with the US.

The real German warplans for the US actually come after Dewey has his RTL run-in with von Dederichs. Prior to that incident, the German staff studies were just paper exercises, like notional warplans with Brazil and Japan.

I wish I could suggest the obverse, but American planners had to take possible adversaries into account when they drove across the Pacific and into the Caribbean. Real warplans existed for Brazil, France, Britain, Spain of course, Japan, and RUSSIA. Significantly Germany at first was not one of them. This was because Germany was regarded as a have-not and possibly a natural co-belligerent or ally; a rising power like the aggressive US.

Then ineptitude reared its RTL ugly head. Never ascribe to malice RTL or AU when stupidity is the order of the day. McKinley was/is a shark. Wilhelm II was/is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_ ... ted_States

http://www.zeit.de/2002/20/In_New_York_ ... ausbrechen

http://europeanhistory.about.com/librar ... 50902a.htm

Of course one must also take into account that Wilhelm II was insane...

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 27th, 2017, 1:03 am
[ img ]

Comment please. Garlicdesign gets credit for the template and the master from which this is drawn. Any errors are mine, not his.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 27th, 2017, 10:26 am
Maybe draw the ratlines and the stays in different shades?
I prefer to use a quite dark grey for the stays to illustrate the difference in gauge and because historically they were treated with tar.
Aside from being arguably more correct, I think it looks better and it reduces the tendency towards big obscuring blocks of grey.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 31st, 2017, 5:13 am
[ img ]

My god what an ugly ship. Not only did she look like she was designed by a committee of the Kaiser's relatives, but she performed about as badly as one would expect from such a bow heavy roller.

It's lucky von Dederichs didn't try to shoot his way out and talked instead. With the antique Konig and this nightmare of a cruiser as his flagship, Olympia would have had a field day with target practice. Even the Baltimore would have been enough to scuttle the Germans.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 31st, 2017, 10:03 am
IMO looks to be the best looking ship so far, reminds me of a Russian class of cruisers

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 31st, 2017, 10:48 am
This is great but don't forget to outline some things in black. Like those gun barrels, some of them have aren't fully outlined.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 31st, 2017, 12:01 pm
Thank you for the compliments and suggestions. I had to go by the photo I had and this was the result. Any errors are mine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 25 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27 »

Jump to: