Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 17  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: November 6th, 2020, 3:15 pm
The Iliad Class (or 501 Class OPVs) were the first purpose designed OPV in HLK for Frontier Guard and Coast Guard, previously hellenic patrol vessels were modified warships. These vessels were developed in late 2000's and first commissioned in 2014 after extensive trials. Frontier Guard received 6, while Coast Guard has ordered 10 to replace the old "670" built in 1970's. All 16 are named from Iliad hero.

The drawing itshelf is the Odysefs from Navarchos, with some changes.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
KonPtol
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: November 7th, 2020, 11:12 am
Nice,nice!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 12th, 2020, 3:54 pm
My LSD complete with underwater hull and new mast. And their history:

RHN AU first LSDs were 3 ships of Casa Grande Class, which were granted from USN in 1953-54. They were completely overhauled and modified in late 1960's to early 1970's in similar way as USN did with Casa Grande FRAM (see link below) in local shipyards to serve for several more years. Into 1980's their availability was low, only 1 or 2 was available. A new LSD class was needed, compatible with the indigenous ACV(HL) and capable of 20kn with full load. The result was the HSY-180 LSD or "Ocean Class", developed in 1990's and built from 2002 to 2014.

Some specs:

Dimensions : 181,6 x 29,6 x 6,7 (m)
Displacement : 20,000 tn
Dock : 75 x 17.5 (m)
Speed : 16-18 kn, 20kn with full load, 21+ trials
Armament : 1 X OTO Melara 127/54C, 2 x RMS with Nexter 30mm M791, 2 X ARIS VI missile CIWS, chaff and decoy launchers.
Aviation facilities : hangar for 4 x CH-47SF Chinook or AW-101 or 6 x AS-532 , helipad with 2 landing spots
Complement: 180 (ship), up to 550 troops (somewhat similar with Dutch Johan De Witt or UK Albion Class)
Propulsion : Diesel - Electric, 4 diesel generators, 2 Schottel SEP Electric Propulsor Pods
Landing vessels: 4 Watercat M12 (one with 120mm mortar), 4 LCU(HL) based on a Damen design or 2 ACV(HL)

Underwater hull comes from original drawing, with a section added because my ship is longer and I borrowed the pod from the Enforcer series drawings.

Casa Grande FRAM:

https://www.themodelshipwright.com/high ... vy-galica/

[ img ]

Last edited by odysseus1980 on December 16th, 2020, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 12th, 2020, 4:40 pm
I have a few comments on this design ;)

- On almost any ship, the cranes have a support to rest on when not in use. This reduces wear on the equipment and makes it a lot more likely to work at the moment when it is actually needed. Thus, it is unlikely that the crane would just be 'standing' there on the ship.
- There are windows in the section of your ship I would expect the smokestack to move trough. There is also a cargo door directly underneath it, how does this funnel and the air intakes on it connect to the engines?
- If you have that big crane, why is the forwardmost landing craft hanging on davids? and why have 2 kinds of davids on board one ship for the same task?
- The davids in the cutouts in the side of the hull are unable to get these craft out. Their bottoms seem to be resting lower then the height of the opening, but there is no space for the davids to lift the landing craft off the deck as it's superstructure is already hitting the david (the superstructure is also in exactly the place where the aft cable would connect so either the davids need modifications, or the boats do)
- I'm pretty sure the azimuthing trusther would not extend below the ships bottom by more then half the diameter of the propeller. Something is off about the dimensions of this
- I find it highly unlikely the ship would have no RHIB or MOB boat on board.
- Is the cargo door in the best place, about 25 meters from the end of the dock?
- Your aft navigational radar is blocked by the funnels quite a lot
- I doubt the liferafts would be in the locations shown. Especially the ones on top of the superstructure and on the bow deck look to be in bad places. The liferafts on the bow because they are vulnerable there and kind of in the way of bow operations, the ones on the superstructuer because when released they drop on the deck below instead of in the water.
- the positions where superstructure meets hull edge, are never sharp corners if it can be avoided. This would lead to major stress concentrations and because of that reduced lifetime of the ship and increased maintenance, if not accidents.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Ok, understand, will fix. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 14th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Mostly fix, only issue remaining is that crane and rear part of superstructure.

[ img ]

Last edited by odysseus1980 on August 19th, 2021, 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 14th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Awesome!!! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
GLACIESFIRE
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 16th, 2020, 10:36 pm
Amazing!!! Only one note, same problem I found for mine LPD/LSD line, the LCVP cranes in the hull, under the flight deck, will take out a LOT of space for the amphibious vehicles depot/bay. having them on both sides is double the space. try to draw it from above and will see... :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: December 16th, 2020, 11:17 pm
Dutch LPD Johan de Witt has the LCVPs exactly as mine. With 29.6m beam there is enough space in hull. Note also that the helicopters are sitting on opposite side of the crane, like British Albion class LPD.

http://www.seaforces.org/marint/Netherl ... e-Witt.htm
http://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-N ... -class.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenic Kingdom : RevisitedPosted: January 10th, 2021, 5:29 pm
The Hellenic Polar Research Center has also 2 types of small hovercraft, both of domestic design. In 1970's HCPR purchased 3 RTK Marine Tiger 4 for Antarctica and later ordered polarized hovercraft from Hellenic Hoverwork, which had a 7.3m (ACV-7) and a 9m (ACV-9). These were also in service with Navy (ACV-9) for training, Hellenic Forest Service and sold to several countries as well.

ACV-7

Dimensions : 7,3 x 3.4 (m)
Weight : 950-980 kg
Propulsion : 1 x 270 hp diesel, twin prop
Speed : 30-40 kn
Range : 250 nm (economical speed, zero wind)

ACV-9

Dimensions : 9 x 3.5 (m)
Weight : 3,7 t (1,2t payload)
Propulsion : 2 X 320 hp diesel, twin prop
Speed : 38-48 kn
Range : 400 nm (economical speed, zero wind)

Link for RTK Marine Tiger 4:

http://www.jameshovercraft.co.uk/hover/tiger4.php

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 17  [ 167 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »

Jump to: