Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: January 31st, 2011, 8:02 pm
In a high waves your gun will be destroyed

[Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: January 31st, 2011, 8:16 pm
yeah, the gun on the bow is an very bad idea, IMO.
btw, why have you made the WM-22 'egg' black? there is no reason to, or was it like that on the original ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: January 31st, 2011, 8:36 pm
I agree with the placement of the forwardmost placement of the 57mm gun, but with a 10-gun configuration that's what's being offered. Besides, Alvama, for their entire career (though TK:s was miserably short!) the forward gun emplacement was deemed satisfactory for the 40 mm m38 therein situated. So, I've chosen to retain its original position. Again, it's trade-off practicality/desirability vs affordability! And ace, yes, on the Halland-class the 'egg' was very dark-grey. If it comes out black, then it may be my Paint-program distorting and corrupting it. So, yes, original paintjob!

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 1st, 2011, 8:09 pm
Quote:
3) I've decided to utilize a simplified mack-thing with angled exhaust pipes leading the fumes well past the AN/SPG-55 directors and supporting a tall lattice mast with an SPS-52 on top. I also resolved to retain the LW-02, since the Dutch actually did this too! I also lengthened the forward stack some 5 ft to better carry the exhausts away from sensitive electronics.
Ok..but think you should use a more dedicated surface search radar, now you have to airsearch radars in the same frequencie spectrum.
Quote:
4) The bridge i elected to modify into a semi-enclosed upper one, with an open bridge wrap-around around the admiral's bridge. This is more similar to contemporary British practice. - And we know that ever since the days of HRH Prince Bertil's tenure as a naval attache in London during WW2, the navy was closely affiliated with the RN!
Nice...but i think viceadmiral and C-in-C of the navy 1953-61 Stig H:son Ericson made for the anglification of the RSwN because of his clos friendship with Lord Moundbatten (the swedish queen´s brother)
Quote:
5) A helipad w/o hangar has been constructed immediately forward of the Terrier installation, and above its magazine. I figure this is the only way of keeping top weight down to an acceptable level. The Sea Knight I picked from the parts sheet, but modified it to conform with Swedish requirements and painted it acordingly (again with the severe limitations of my Paint-program in mind!) and gave it Swedish insignias

Swedish Seaknights, HKP 4 and Augsta Bell 206 Jet Rager (HKP 6B) where green or camoulfage patterned, in fleet use onboard ships the might have been light hulls and dark grey upper works...
Quote:
6) The RB-08 canisters were found on the missile part sheet. Their placement is, I think, one of very few realistc ones. I rejected the idea of using a similar launcher as the Halland-class were equipped with. I believe at the time it might even have been obsolete.
I hope you know the launch tubes are my own invention, all RB 08A and Rb08KA where fired from rails.
Quote:
8) I used the same twin 57 mm m60 that ws used on the Dutch Eendracht-class and a few French cruisers. The number I chose is 10 (5x2) with the fifth turret at the extrem bows forward, replacing the single 40 mm m38 AA gun. I really think this would be the only possible position of it if choosing a 10 gun-configuration. I also chose to retain four of the 40 mm m48 AA guns in their sponsons. Further, I installed the British-made Corvus chaff/flare at the aftermost section of the superstructure.
Not possible to use the twin 57mm mount M/50B, it has a large barbette and need a reloading room underneath the turret. I sugget you use the 57 M70 Mk 1 mount, same as on the Spica IIs. It has the same rate of fire as the twin M/50B have with to barrels and is very mouch lighter and manpower demanding.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 1st, 2011, 8:44 pm
Psilander, I figured that much that the canisters were not entirely kosher, and I pondered long enough whether to use the simple rail. But, as you may have done too, having thoroughly appreciated yourvery informed comments, by 1970, surely something along your design would have come along. I picked the twin 57 mm m60 since it was already in use by the Koninklijke Marine and Marine Nationale in several cruisers and a few destroyers. I belive, the handlingroom could be fitted beneath the turret bases; their crowns ought not to be too high up in the hull. I can fit an alternative model with the single ones, for sure, I don't mind trying that option out at all, but personally, I'm satisfied with this result. And, for the search radar, I adopted the Dutch solution, i. e. in this case simply retaining the LW-02 array. Of course there could always be plenty of other alternatives, I doubt not that!
Finally, I hope you did pay attention to my lamentation about the inadequacies of my Paint-program. I did, however, try to, at least, represent, the various shades of green and brown with different shades of grey; the only option left open to me; but, yes, I know the color pattern of either helicopter types in the RSwN.

again, Psilander, your inputare very enjoyable and thoughtful. I appreciate your advice! - Besides, I suppose we could start conversing in Swedish soon enough! ;) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 1st, 2011, 8:52 pm
Oh, and one more thing: yes, during his long tenure, VA Ericson did, indeed purue a very Anglophile naval policy. It's hardly a coincidence that the only time both TK and GL were operational together, their destination was Portsmouth! And yes, as far as I know, he was a close friend of both Adm. HRH Prince Bertil and Queen Louise of Mountbatten! - So, the line goes straight from Prince Bertil's tenure as Naval Attache in London during the war, through Stig H:son Ericson's long command in the 1950s and 60s!

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 2nd, 2011, 8:46 am
He also made made the king of England hounary admiral of the RSwN in 1951, and started to design the Muskö undergroundbase after a visit to the german submarine bunkers i Brest in 1942. He was the aid of king Gustav VI Adolf aswell and later "riksmarskalk".

Hope you don't mind, I am trying to make the best solution out of the hulls.....but really dout the twin 57mm can fit, it is much heavier and larger than the single m/71, which has the same rate of fire (220 rpm) as the two barrels of the m/50B has together. I think the PS41 or PS870 should be a better solution instead of the PS-47 so you get att better low altitute/ surface covrage with the radars. I do not see any ESM equiment.

The RB08 went operational on the Halland in 1967 so I dout there would be a canister solution so soon. The navy intented to by Harppon back then, a deal which was canceled in 1979 when the swedish industry decided to design an advanced RB04 which ened up as RB 15 in 1985.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 2nd, 2011, 11:17 am
Of course I don't mind. With both our 'smart heads' working together, we might find a suitable solution. I've just not had the time yet to modify it though, is all...

About the ESM. I have not noticed that either on either of the indigenous Swedish dstroyer classes, hence why I refrained from putting anything on. Did, in fact, the RSwN use any at that time? By the mid 1980s, I believe they did, but that's not when my proposal is depicted at.

You may be right about the RB08, and its developmental pace. Maybe by shortening the helipad we might be able to 'squeeze' a raillauncher. Harpoon, if I recall it, was not even operational by 1970; the first European vessels to take them to sea, were, if I'm not entirely wrong, the Dutch Tromp-class, and that was after almost a year's delay with the testing and delivery (1977)! - Now, I do agree that Harpoon is the neater solution, and I did modify it on my saved copy of the Tromp-class. to show only two canisters,in stead of four. (As the Tromps are usually shown with; that is two per installation!). - Anyway, as always its a great pleasure to discuss these things with you!

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: February 2nd, 2011, 12:03 pm
The RB08 only went to sea with the HMS Halland in 1967, replaceing the the trails missile Rb315 which where cancelled/ withdrawn in 1961. The Coastal Artillery had the RB08 in service until the mid 1990s when the RB15Ka went operational.

If I recall correctly the Harpoon discussion started in the early 1970s and the deal where very close to become reality when it was cancelled in 1979. The navy operated rb12 Pingvin (Kongsberg Penguin mkII) from 1976 whe n the first Kaparen-class patrolbaots went operational.

SS-11 (rb52) where tried on the Plejad-class but never used in other ways than as a light SSM in the coastal artillery.

I know they did use ESM, at least both Halland and Spica classes used it. You can see the antenna unerneath the surface search radar on the torpedoboats. I don't know how the older antennas look, but for instance use the high, odd looking antennas clearly visible on the Leanders.

For comparison the the Bofors m/50B twin and the Bofors 57mm M/71 mk1.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What if the HMS Göta Lejon never would have been sold?Posted: March 27th, 2011, 4:10 pm
An update on this project. I have attempted to implement the good suggestions by Psilander, and I finally got my paint in order, so both Hkp4 and Hkp6b can now be seen as properly camouflaged. (No, I don't believe at this time, the navy [Marinen] would've wasted the effort on actually repainting the helicopters sea-grey. But, as the image is purely conjectural, so would that assumption be too!) A few tweaks in the proportions have also ben made and complete redrawing of the ship's boats, thanks to more informative close-ups. A note on the pennant number is in place though. I chose to use the letter 'C' before, but after closer consideration, I changed that to the native 'Kr' for 'Kryssare', as the letter 'K' was already reserved for the designation of the corvettes of the navy ('Kustkorvetter'). We know that, instead of using the international designated letter 'D' as for 'Destroyer', the Swedes chose to use the letter 'J', standing for 'Jagare'. Hence my resolution about the 'Kr' I think it is more appropriate by 1982.

Anyway, here's the HMS Göta Lejon as she might have looked liked as flagship, Commander, Kustflottan, Vice Admiral Bror Stefenson, during the hectic fall days of 1982:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: