Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 6:19 pm
I will continue the rest of the timeline tomorrow, and with the help of Keisser, each event will be described in detail. Specifically naval battles.

I want the German and Japanese navies to be incredibly powerful in the first stage of the war. From what I recall, the US Navy and the Royal were killing machines. Japan had like 100 destroyers, the US had like 500 etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 6:23 pm
It's pretty hard to describe how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this thread.

Why don't you try drawing some real life ships? There are plenty of ships from the period that haven't been drawn yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 6:38 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Why don't you try drawing some real life ships?
AU is cool 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 7:07 pm
Drawing a few real life ships will help your AU designs get better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 8:02 pm
I have thought about those Russian cruisers and destroyers from WOWS while writing this. That's that Russian navy I was referring to. It's going to be made up of those never-built designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:32 pm
Because I'd rather try to be nice and not spoil anyone's fun, I'm not going to comment what I feel is wrong, but just would like to ask for some explanation why on 1939 map the French posessions in Africa, Middle East, Indian Ocean, Indochina and in Guyana are marked Axis (I assume that's what black color means :P ) as well as Denmark, Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands? (and why in France there's a border between occupied zone and Vichy, as well as 1940+ borders between Romania and Hungary and Soviet Union)
Oh, and if the Denmark has been already overrun, what's the status of it's posessions: Iceland and Greenland (apparently marked neutral?)
I didn't even checked any further... ;P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Colosseum wrote:
It's pretty hard to describe how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this thread.

Why don't you try drawing some real life ships? There are plenty of ships from the period that haven't been drawn yet.
If there is an insistence on drawing crazy napkinwaffe I'd rather just look at pictures of the crazy napkinwaffe rather than have an all-out assault on historical fact and common sense, but maybe that's just me...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:47 pm
Yeah, in agreement. "Here's a ridiculous ship, we handwaved the history when we designed it. Look! Ridiculous ship! Big guns! Missiles! Boom!"

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:57 pm
AND A FRIKKIN' SUBMARINE IN THE BOWS

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Extended World War TwoPosted: June 15th, 2016, 10:04 pm
You have certainly given the both of you a very large task to achieve. If nothing else, if you both carry on with this AU for a while, you should improve your drawing skills and WW2 knowledge considerably.

You will be given lots of advice from armchair Generals on why this wont work and that wont work and why this was the greatest and the rest were horrible. But it is your AU and while your story can be a bit thin it does have to follow realistic rather than believable events.

Here is a few of my thoughts on what might help extend the war.

Germany does not have to attack Russia in 1941, but will have to attack Russia before Russia becomes too 'prepared'. For Germany, Spain is the key to all its dreams. With an allied Spain, Gibraltar is compromised and the Mediterranean is closed to the British, Malta falls, Egypt falls, and the oil fields of the Arabian Peninsular and Middle East become Axis controlled. At that stage, The Balkan states would fall, Turkey would join the Axis, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria all would throw in with the Axis. Russia is surrounded. The Caucassus oil fields are just a stones throw from the Turkish border. Take those and Russia falls.

There is a natural barrier of size between North Africa and the rest of Africa. The great deserts around the equatorial area of Africa are almost impassable for armies. The only other area of Africa that would be of interest to the Germans would be South Africa with its mineral wealth. But it would take several armies the size of the whole attack force in Russia to take and hold the African continent. 70-80 years ago the African continent was still full of pestilence and fevers that decimated 'European' populations that were not acclimatised to the areas.

In July/August 1940 the British gathered up all the paperwork and as many examples of new technology as were being conducted in Britain and all were sent to the United States for free. It was during this period that Britain looked like falling and Churchill wanted to make sure that all that work could be put to use. This one act put the US into prime position, saved them years of research and the millions of dollars that research would have cost. Stop that information being given to the US, the US is even worse prepared than it was. The British advances in Radar, Asdic, Nuclear stuff, AA weaponry, and lots more, take that away and that will add more time to the war. Stop the code breaking of the US-v-Japan or get the Japanese to change their codes regularly and that will add time to the war.

There are lots of ways to slow down production, research and development, so that advances in technology are slower. One technology that will be a problem for you is jets. Only Germany and Britain had workable jet technology in 1945. Past the end of WW2 both the US and USSR relied on captured German scientists to provide the technology advances. No end of war, Russia has no jets and their aircraft get shot out of the skies. Without air superiority the Russian forces will be decimated. If the Germans extend past 1945 and get too many Me-262's and other jet projects into the air, that will wipe out the bombing offensive 1944-45.

There are a lot of events that you will have to take account of if you wish to follow your AU timeline shown in the maps.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: