Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 1:27 am
No problem. I've got a soft spot for map making, so I like to help out in that area.

I'm 1/4 German and love Germany as well. Denton is an English name but 31% of the population is descended from Germans, and cities are named after cities in Germany. I also made a reference to the German Empire with my flag, using Black, Red, and White. You don't have to have a nod to Germany in the name. There are many ways to do it.
I would recommend thinking it over a lot more. It took me a while to settle on 'Denton', but I thought it through.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 2:16 am
Do what I did and find where the "North Atlantic Ridge" runs and put your island(s) on top of that. Saves worrying about how it formed.

I have had a quick look. and it seems where you have placed your island is a high spot:

Let me know when you are finished with the map and I will delete it so that it does not detract from your AU.

Last edited by Krakatoa on July 23rd, 2016, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 9:01 am
What a familiar location... After several years of revisions I ended up with the following for my main AU. IMO you're much more likely to end up with something more linear in form than what you currently have given the nature of the area. As ezgo says, look at the surrounding topology before committing to a shape.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 10:36 am
Also regarding topography at a larger scale, wouldn't a large island right in the middle of the Iceland-Scotland gap compromise the circulation of the Gulf Stream/North-Atlantic Current towards Scandinavia? That probably wouldn't change much of what happens to Western Europe, including Rearmany itself, but won't it have made the whole of Scandinavia historically near-uninhabitable, and Central Europe much harsher climatically speaking?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 1:04 pm
So many of you guys have such good AUs! Once I pump out some real-designs, I might start my own AU. Maybe in the Atlantic too.

[Profile] [Quote]
SouprRacwn
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 5:02 am
citizen lambda wrote:
Also regarding topography at a larger scale, wouldn't a large island right in the middle of the Iceland-Scotland gap compromise the circulation of the Gulf Stream/North-Atlantic Current towards Scandinavia? That probably wouldn't change much of what happens to Western Europe, including Rearmany itself, but won't it have made the whole of Scandinavia historically near-uninhabitable, and Central Europe much harsher climatically speaking?
LOL I might've destroyed Scandanavia's chances to rise to power as well as giving Germany and Russia a hard time to invade each other.

So does that mean either Germany or Russia have Scandanavia as territories?

Banana
Watermelon
Playstation 5

I authored these forum threads:
GB Kolibriscale
GB Scale Caliber Index
TrucKola's Project/Image Dump

Last edited by SouprRacwn on July 23rd, 2016, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
SouprRacwn
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 5:03 am
Krakatoa wrote:
Do what I did and find where the "North Atlantic Ridge" runs and put your island(s) on top of that. Saves worrying about how it formed.

I have had a quick look. and it seems where you have placed your island is a high spot:

[ img ]

Let me know when you are finished with the map and I will delete it so that it does not detract from your AU.
Blackbuck wrote:
What a familiar location... After several years of revisions I ended up with the following for my main AU. IMO you're much more likely to end up with something more linear in form than what you currently have given the nature of the area. As ezgo says, look at the surrounding topology before committing to a shape.
[ img ]
Thanks. Black, is that a map of what it's supposed to look like?

Banana
Watermelon
Playstation 5

I authored these forum threads:
GB Kolibriscale
GB Scale Caliber Index
TrucKola's Project/Image Dump

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 7:42 pm
In regards to the etomylogy - I think(read SWAG) the "many" in the end of Germany is derived from the old Germanic "manni", which means "men"(Example, the tribe of the Alamanni - "All men."). If we can convolute a meaning from "Raer" or something similar the name could come from the some colonising inhabitants(Presumably Germanic) ages past calling themselves something along the lines of "men of _"(The "Raermanni"), and that the name stuck with the land.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Raermany AUPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:09 am
TrucKola__19 wrote:
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94294688/TG.png[img]
Thanks. Black, is that a map of what it's supposed to look like?
That's what I ended up with for Tol Galen. There's some decent(ish) relief maps of the Rockall Plateau around if you do a bit of searching that should allow you to make up your own mind but yes, linear rather than round.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: