Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 1:20 pm
this is awesome.

The minions gif

the midle one looks like he have orgasme of his life... so if that is the case, perhaps, I recommend Erik-T to clean his computer with chlorine...

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Great stuff indeed!

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 4:14 pm
Lovely.

For now I only have one small question. What is the East German designation "KSS" suposed to mean?

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 4:36 pm
Thanks again to all newcomers for the kind words!
Cascadia wrote:
What is the East German designation "KSS" suposed to mean?
KSS is short for Küstenschutzschiff, which is German for Coastal Defense Ship, which was the usual East German designation for frigates. Nowadays it sounds more like a coast guard ship, but I assume there was a political motivator behind that designation, i.e. emphasizing the local and defensive nature of the Volksmarine. Maybe "Fregatte" (frigate) sounded too imperialist for them.
It falls also close enough to the Russian SKR, which is generally translated to "Guard ship".

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 4:56 pm
citizen lambda wrote:
Thanks again to all newcomers for the kind words!
Cascadia wrote:
What is the East German designation "KSS" suposed to mean?
KSS is short for Küstenschutzschiff, which is German for Coastal Defense Ship, which was the usual East German designation for frigates. Nowadays it sounds more like a coast guard ship, but I assume there was a political motivator behind that designation, i.e. emphasizing the local and defensive nature of the Volksmarine. Maybe "Fregatte" (frigate) sounded too imperialist for them.
It falls also close enough to the Russian SKR, which is generally translated to "Guard ship".
Ah, I see. The term Küstenschutzschiff is familiar to me, but I never saw the abbreviation used as a ship prefix. That's why I was wondering.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 5:35 pm
Somehow I didn't think about checking the location in your post's sidebar before waxing linguistical :D
Still, maybe someone else can learn from it.
Please note that I use it here as a class descriptor, not as part of the ship's designation (as in NATO practice). The actual ship is still "152 Frankfurt-am-Oder" or "Frankfurt-am-Oder (152)" and not "KSS-152".

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 5:48 pm
random fact, since coastal defence ship was mentioned: In Norway after 1938 the requirement for a replacement ship, for the aging coastal defence ship, went out, but they called them for "Artillery ship", mostly due to it sounds nicer toward the government.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 17th, 2016, 8:10 pm
citizen lambda wrote:
Somehow I didn't think about checking the location in your post's sidebar before waxing linguistical :D
Still, maybe someone else can learn from it.
Please note that I use it here as a class descriptor, not as part of the ship's designation (as in NATO practice). The actual ship is still "152 Frankfurt-am-Oder" or "Frankfurt-am-Oder (152)" and not "KSS-152".
Ah, okay. Now it's clear.

Btw, it's Frankfurt an der Oder not am Oder. The Oder is female in German, unlike the Main which is male in German.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 18th, 2016, 7:29 am
Oops, my bad, should have checked this more carefully. Writing this down for next update.
Anyway I'll go back to East Germany for other classes, and I'll take better care of the naming when I have more ships to handle. My list of Kreisstädte and Kreisfreie Städte is still expanding, so Frankfurt might not even make the cut anymore.
Any informed opinion on the other names I have used, while we're at it?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet Century/Cold War 2020 AUPosted: September 18th, 2016, 8:58 am
Great work! It might be an excellent AU thread! :o :D

Just one question:
Quote:
overall scope of the project within SB confines will not be limited to Soviet designs or service.
How does this relate to Polish never-weres? Because You know... I have them on my worklist and although finishing FD-scale Polish Wings is now my priority (so I can have it done once and for all :x ), I haven't dropped my SB plans. ;) :twisted:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »

Jump to: