Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 26th, 2016, 3:17 am
Although it may seem I have abandoned this AU, I can assure you this is not the case. Work on the first few vessels for that AU has slowed work on this one a bit, but I have quickly edited a design that I can upload here.

-The Carolinian Line: The company known as the Carolinian line was formed in the wake of industrial explosion in the nation after the Civil War. It's original fleet consisted of 3 small passenger steamers that served the North American east coast, as well as 2 cargo steamers that plied the waters around the Caribbean, trading in goods such as sugar, exchanging them for manufactured goods and weapons. Towards the 1880's, the company benefited from government subsidies (intended to provide funding for new ships, which would increase national prestige) and a booming market for manufactured goods in both the Caribbean and South America. With the new influx of funds the company placed an order for 3 new ships:
[ img ]

-The Venture class: These 3 vessels (Venture, Voyage, and Expedition) where ordered as mixed passenger/cargo steamers from Denny's of Dumbarton in England. They displaced 4,500 gross registered tons. Cargo space amounted to 800 tons, including a refrigerator and an ice maker. Propulsion was of a high standard typical to most British-built ships. It consisted of four single-ended coal-fired marine boilers providing steam to a pair of 3-cylinder compound steam engines. They had space for 170 first-class passengers, 136 second-class, and 760 third class passengers, and could steam at a speed of 16 knots. They were all laid down in 1883 and were completed the next year. They entered service in 1885, carrying passengers to and from Charleston and Wilmington to ports like New York, Boston, Mobile, Rio de Janeiro, and so on and so forth. Carrying passengers, including investors and migrant workers, around the Southern Atlantic and Caribbean. Towards the 1890's they were relatively outclassed by larger liners, and were converted to cargo-only ships due to the fact that their cabin spaces were outdated and considered second-rate at best. The Voyage was even converted to a totally refrigerated ship for carrying agricultural products like beef and other meats, fruits, sugar, and tobacco. During World War One, Venture and Expedition were refitted as armed merchant cruisers, armed with two 4-inch guns, two 3-inch guns, and four 7.62-mm machine guns. They defended convoys across the Atlantic, helped blockade Germany's coast, and patrolled for U-Boats in the North Sea and Caribbean. Venture was part of the Carolinian task force that raided the German East African colonies, firing it's 4-inch guns against the oil tanks at the dockyards. The 3-inch guns and machine guns came in useful for repelling an attack by a pair of German motor launches. The Venture was preserved in Charleston after being restored, with one of the 4-inch guns being manned and fired by the Carolinian National Guard (the gun was mounted on land, not on the ship.) The Voyage and Expedition were sold to the breakers in 1926 and 27, respectively.

-NEXT UP: River ferries, maybe some more civilian ships, primitive submarines. I am busy working on the carrier for the CCCN AU and will get to work on these later.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 29th, 2016, 9:48 pm
First off, You haven't changed enough to add your name to the credits. The design of the ship has remained identical to my original drawing.

Secondly, If you do wish to keep the design the same I have some suggestions for your backstory. The ships should all be ordered from and built at Messrs John Elder & Co. in Glasgow, same as the real ships they are identical to. Your ship's top speed should instead be 15kts as you have not changed anything that would increase her speed. Her passenger capacity should be 179 first class, 142 second class, and 796 third class. The Rivers class liners had low cargo capacity, although I found no numbers on this.

Third, preserved ocean liners are exceptionally rare and I know of none in existance, but as this is a fictional AU nothing stops you from doing such a thing.

Also, the flags you have removed from the ship should instead be replaced by flags fitting the ship, she should be flying the company flag and the home nation flag at very least.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 30th, 2016, 12:58 am
ABetterName wrote:
First off, You haven't changed enough to add your name to the credits. The design of the ship has remained identical to my original drawing.

Secondly, If you do wish to keep the design the same I have some suggestions for your backstory. The ships should all be ordered from and built at Messrs John Elder & Co. in Glasgow, same as the real ships they are identical to. Your ship's top speed should instead be 15kts as you have not changed anything that would increase her speed. Her passenger capacity should be 179 first class, 142 second class, and 796 third class. The Rivers class liners had low cargo capacity, although I found no numbers on this.

Third, preserved ocean liners are exceptionally rare and I know of none in existance, but as this is a fictional AU nothing stops you from doing such a thing.

Also, the flags you have removed from the ship should instead be replaced by flags fitting the ship, she should be flying the company flag and the home nation flag at very least.
Ok, ok. No need for alarm! If you don't want me to use your drawings please just say so. I'm aware of the passenger count, but as in this AU it is a mixed cargo/passenger ship I played around with the numbers a bit.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 30th, 2016, 1:13 am
It's not that I don't want you using my drawings, it's that you haven't changed enough of it to put your name in the credits.

The real SS Elbe was a mixed cargo/passenger liner.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 30th, 2016, 2:01 am
ABetterName wrote:
It's not that I don't want you using my drawings, it's that you haven't changed enough of it to put your name in the credits.

Ok. Well. That is interesting, as the only information I found stated that she was a passenger liner. I must be mistaken then.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 30th, 2016, 2:31 am
ABetterName wrote:

By SB rules, virtually any change at all requires requires the person to put their name on it--as much for the protection of the original artist's reputation as anything else. It always annoys the hell out of me to see people carping about there being some imaginary threshold for this.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: November 30th, 2016, 3:31 pm
Yes, generally speaking any kind of modification (however slight) should ideally result in the modifying artist's name being placed in the credits. If the modification is just a repaint (and not some significant rebuild) then I prefer to put (Original artist, modified by second artist).

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: December 1st, 2016, 12:08 am
I always put my name after the original artist if I used even a part of their work. I don't want to be taking credit for others peoples work.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: December 1st, 2016, 1:23 am
I would prefer if you changed the credits to be "modified by", as your changes are minimal.

My suggestions about the backstory and flags still stand.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: New AU: The Republic of the Carolinas!Posted: December 1st, 2016, 12:08 pm
ABetterName wrote:
I would prefer if you changed the credits to be "modified by", as your changes are minimal.

My suggestions about the backstory and flags still stand.
Very well, if you feel that strongly about it, the changes will be made shortly.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: