Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
KHT
Post subject: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 3:13 pm
Some while ago, I posted a cruiser based of off a modification of a Swedish NW, and mentioned in passing how it would probably be a centerpiece if I ever made a Sweden-focused AU. It wasn't really a serious idea at the time, but I got around to making some accompanying designs, mainly based of existing ships or NW:s, and things started running up, until the point where I felt I could actually post it in the AU-section.
So, imagine if you will that Sweden maintains control over Finland throughout the 1800's and onward through some historical contrivances. This means a bigger navy, and a bigger budget(For the purposes of this scenario, a bigger one than what the two IRL countries combined would have had, but as I said. Contrivances.). Perhaps Sweden manages a small dreadnought or two(which I may or may not draw as well). However, after the Great War, the size of capital ships have been so significantly ramped up, that the nation on the Scandinavian peninsula can no longer keep up, and instead, shift focus to cruisers and destroyers.

Last edited by KHT on February 20th, 2017, 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 3:15 pm
Cruisers

HSwMS Claes Sparre - Kr 10(1919-1947)
[ img ]
[ img ]
A single cruiser built for the RSwN, it was Sweden’s first proper light cruiser. Distinguished from her foreign contemporaries by her turreted artillery, she was considered a superb addition to the navy. She was commissioned after the first world war, and served onward throughout the next one, before being decommissioned in 1947.

Ehrensköld-class - Kr 11-14(1931-1962)
[ img ]
A class of four light cruisers, laid down throughout 1928 to 1932, they became the workhorse cruisers of the RSwN. Equipped as flagships, they would often take this role in whatever unit they were assigned. The HSwMS Nordenskjöld and Wachtmeister represented Sweden at the naval review at Spithead in 1937. Two of the ships served on the west coast during the second war, while the other two remained in the baltic.
HSwMS Ehrensköld(1931-1954)
HSwMS Nordenskjöld(1933-1958)
HSwMS Wrangel(1933-1954)
HSwMS Wachtmeister(1935-1962)

Tre Kronor-class - Kr 15-16(1939-1964)
[ img ]
Laid down in 1935 and 1936 respectively, these were the first and only heavy cruisers built for the RSwN. Heavily armed and armoured, they lacked the speed of other nations’ cruisers. Both ships remained in the Baltic during the second world war, where they were considered prime threats by both the Russian and German forces, should a conflict with Sweden ensue. After the war they remained in service another two decades, though only rarely at the same time, until they were superseded by a new generation of missile carrying destroyers.
HSwMS Tre Kronor(1939-1962)
HSwMS Göta Lejon(1940-1964)

Last edited by KHT on February 23rd, 2017, 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 3:16 pm
Destroyers

HSwMS Mode - J 1(1902-1928)
[ img ]
One of two very similar destroyers ordered from different wharfs in Great Britain. Heavily worn by the neutrality watch during the Great War, she was decommissioned in the 1920’s.

HSwMS Magne - J 2(1906-1932)
[ img ]
The second destroyer ordered from a British wharf, and considered more successful than her half-sister. She served through the Great war, but was expended as a target ship during the 1930’s.

Stockholm-class J 16-17(1927-1963)
[ img ]
[ img ]
Two destroyers built as squadron leaders, faster and better armed than the classes before. They became the model for the oncoming classes of destroyers of Sweden, which would try to emulate the growth in destroyers size taking place abroad. They served throughout the second world war, and were rebuilt as frigates in the 1950’s, facing decommission in the 1960’s.
HSwMS Stockholm
HSwMS Helsingborg

Karlskrona-class J 18-21(1932-1958)
[ img ]
[ img ]
Four destroyers built as a complement to the Stockholm-destroyers. They were very similar to the class before, but had a far busier service record. Two of the four ships were lost during the Hårsfjärden disaster, and the other two were considered too worn after the neutrality watch to be converted to frigate. One was mothballed after the war, and decommissioned and scrapped in 1958, and the other expended as a target vessel.
HSwMS Karlskrona
HSwMS Norrköping
HSwMS Malmö
HSwMS Ystad

Gävle-class J 22-27(1936-1974)
[ img ]
[ img ]
The fastest of the Swedish destroyers, this class was undoubtedly considered one of the most successful destroyer designs made by the Swedish navy. Out of six units, four reached up to 40 knots during speed trials, one knot over their contracted speed. They all lived through the war, and like most classes of Swedish destroyers, were converted to frigates during the late 1950’s.
HSwMS Gävle
HSwMS Esbo
HSwMS Göteborg
HSwMS Helsingborg
HSwMS Kalmar
HSwMS Sundsvall

Mode-class (1942-1970)
[ img ]
HSwMS Mode
HSwMS Magne
HSwMS Hugin
HSwMS Munin
HSwMS Uller
HSwMS Wale
HSwMS Vidar
HSwMS Ragnar

Helsingfors-class J 32-37(1943-1982)
[ img ]
[ img ]
Six destroyers built very similarly to the Gävle-class, they moved the middle 120 mm gun mount from in between the funnels to the aft, overlooking the aftmost mount, providing a better field of fire compared to earlier units . Like their older cousins, they were considered attractive commands. They entered service in the middle of the war, and later received the undoubtedly most extensive rebuild among the Swedish destroyers when they were converted to frigates, swapping their main artillery for lighter, more modern pieces, and their torpedoes for better ASW capability.
HSwMS Helsingfors
HSwMS Tammerfors
HSwMS Vanda
HSwMS Kiruna
HSwMS Uppsala
HSwMS Eskilstuna

Last edited by KHT on February 23rd, 2017, 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 3:51 pm
Hi KHT

Probably it is just my computer, but I don't see any pix

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 4:19 pm
I can't see anything either

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: A Historical ContrivancePosted: February 20th, 2017, 4:22 pm
Nope, it's my dropbox... I'll see if I'm able to find another host, or if I could get one of my old ones to work...

EDIT: Well, this was a fun excercise in pointlessness. Cheers folks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: (Image host troubles. Don't bother)Posted: February 20th, 2017, 7:54 pm
Howdy KHT, I use Dropbox as well and my older images for Fisherless RN are still showing. Is this something only affecting newly posted images?

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: (Image host troubles. Don't bother)Posted: February 20th, 2017, 8:33 pm
Honestly, I dunno. I do know that Dropbox are making an overhaul in which the public folder is ditched, but that's not supposed to happen until the middle of March...
I've tried fiddling around with the link names... Any differance?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: (Image host troubles. Don't bother)Posted: February 20th, 2017, 8:34 pm
Unfortunately nothing, still error 403.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Mare Suecia: (Image host troubles. Don't bother)Posted: February 20th, 2017, 8:44 pm
There... Hopefully that should work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: