Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
CascadeFalls
Post subject: AU Templates/Requirements?Posted: April 18th, 2017, 12:10 am
Hi, I am new here I suppose. I've been looking into creating an AU and have been reading others projects. I was wonder if there were any templates or standards for creating an AU? Also any advice would be appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: AU Templates/Requirements?Posted: April 18th, 2017, 1:27 am
Not really that I know of. Just your imagination, a fictional nation, and some realism with your navy. Do you want a small coastal navy or a massive blue water fleet? Modern, postmodern, turn of the past century? Sail, steam, nuclear? Up to you, really. We just provide kibitzing and advise. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: AU Templates/Requirements?Posted: April 18th, 2017, 2:46 pm
There is no particular "template" for creating an AU of your own. As Zephyr says, just look at what others have created and go off that. Keep in mind that most of us have really had enough of the "20 carrier / 200 battleship / 10 million population Pacific island" AUs. You will probably get a lot more help/respect if you create something small, manageable, and (above all else) realistic, such as said 10-million population Pacific island operating a small force of coastal minesweepers, patrol boats, and a survey ship or two - oh, and said ships don't have any fuel available to leave the docks. ;)

An AU that throws caution to the wind and produces extremely detailed and high quality giant battlecarriers and submarine battleships would be well-received, though, as long as the drawings are nice and no pretense at realism is assumed. ;)

I must say that my least favorite type of AU is the one that generates a wall of text and no drawings, though. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

[Profile] [Quote]
CascadeFalls
Post subject: Re: AU Templates/Requirements?Posted: April 18th, 2017, 3:35 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
There is no particular "template" for creating an AU of your own. As Zephyr says, just look at what others have created and go off that. Keep in mind that most of us have really had enough of the "20 carrier / 200 battleship / 10 million population Pacific island" AUs. You will probably get a lot more help/respect if you create something small, manageable, and (above all else) realistic, such as said 10-million population Pacific island operating a small force of coastal minesweepers, patrol boats, and a survey ship or two - oh, and said ships don't have any fuel available to leave the docks. ;)

An AU that throws caution to the wind and produces extremely detailed and high quality giant battlecarriers and submarine battleships would be well-received, though, as long as the drawings are nice and no pretense at realism is assumed. ;)

I must say that my least favorite type of AU is the one that generates a wall of text and no drawings, though. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!
Of course. The one I am working on now is essentially a small Reunion Island size nation out in the Indian Ocean. Will have a tiny fleet of patrol boats and maybe an aging frigate. I'm trying to create as many graphics for it as possible, but its pretty time consuming. Generally I am aiming for concentrated depth with as little interference in history as possible rather than a wide shallow story.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: