Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
rundrewrun99
Post subject: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 19th, 2017, 3:51 pm
**EDIT**I cleaned this up a bit, but I left the overly memed bit as an intro. sorry regia.
**EDIT AGAIN** I added more history, and a bit more background.
SO the backstory of this is that Spain doesn't screw themselves over with their colonies, and doesn't piss away their cash. This allows them to remain a major power UNTILL *dun dun duuuuuuuun* the industrial revolution happens and the British become the biggest deal ever. BUT the Spanish have an ace up their sleeve, which is Mexico, who became a separate empire, then housed the Spanish government in exile during Napoleon's invasion, and then joined a personal union with the Spanish throne to create La Unión Imperial de España-México. *dramatic music sting*
How? well...people don't think it be like it is....but it do.

This AU starts in the late 1800s/early 1900s, mostly because rigging for sailing ships terrifies me. At this time, the combined Empires of Spain-Mexico controls a sizable portion of the world. Directly controlled are the territories of Spain, Mexico, Spanish Morocco, Spanish Western Sahara, and the Spanish Atlantic Islands. Colonial holdings include Spanish Central Africa, the Philippines, the majority of the Caribbean, all of Central America, the Southwestern North American territories, and nothern South America (wow that sounds contradictory).
Just like in real life, these are divided into Viceroyalties. This is the Viceroyalty of Peru (controls Peru, Colombia, Venezuela), The Viceroyalty of Panama (Panama, Guatemala, and Costa Rica), The Viceroyalty of Cuba (controls Cuba, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, other Caribbean), The Viceroyalty of the Philippines (Philippines, Guam) and the Viceroyalty of California (California, Nevada, Arizona, Nuevo Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida). All authority over these colonies is shared jointly by the crown of Mexico and the crown of Spain.

[ img ]
This is the Osprey class torpedo boat (circa 1903). It uses the fascinating rotary engine to attain high speed, and is probably vulnerable to rifle fire. BUT it is a fast thing with torpedoes, so I say good enough.
[ img ]
This is the Jose Diaz class of Naval Auxillary craft. I like to draw these underloved beauties more than warships, so this was a fun one for me. Why have a small troopship that can't do ocean? Because I need it to ferry people between islands, and from the islands to the mainland, etc etc. Why a small supply ship? Same concept, but replace people with supplies.

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 21st, 2017, 3:57 pm
On the torpedo boat if you mean the type of engine used in the B-17, B-25, B-24, B-29 bombers and the P-47, F4U Corsair, F6F Hellcat fighters, they are more properly called radial engines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 21st, 2017, 5:10 pm
iiradned wrote: *
On the torpedo boat if you mean the type of engine used in the B-17, B-25, B-24, B-29 bombers and the P-47, F4U Corsair, F6F Hellcat fighters, they are more properly called radial engines.
Rotary engine is different type, crankshaft is stationary and rest of the engine rotate around it. In radial engine it is in opposite, engine is stationary and crankshaft rotate.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 21st, 2017, 5:50 pm
Aren't rotary engines per definition air cooled? The lower weight achievable to it on aan air plane is offset by an enlarged cooling system when on a ship like this (and I cannot think of any other advantages?)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 21st, 2017, 6:18 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Aren't rotary engines per definition air cooled? The lower weight achievable to it on aan air plane is offset by an enlarged cooling system when on a ship like this (and I cannot think of any other advantages?)
Sort of... the EMD 16-series "pancake" diesels of the Tang-class and some other 1950s USN submarines had a single crankshaft with cylinder banks radiating outwards, and so meet some definitions of a radial engine. They did not have individual cylinder sleeves bolted to the crankcase, but I can't think of any other possible disqualifying characteristic. They were liquid cooled, and were designed in this configuration because they were very compact.

They were unreliable and not particularly successful in practice, although I'm not sure to what extent this is due to their unique layout.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 9:19 am
Erik, that is in deed an radial engine, but not an rotary one right?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 4:44 pm
It's arguably a radial. It's definitely not a rotary. I let my brain get carried away and forgot what we were talking about...

That said, the other type of engine described as a rotary (a Wankel) is pretty much always liquid-cooled ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: The Imperial Union of Spain-MexicoPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 6:25 pm
IIRC most rotary engines are air-cooled, yes. Given that most around WW1 were used on aircraft and had exposed cylinders.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: