[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: April 4th, 2018, 2:42 pm
Wow.

This is absolutely beautiful.

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: April 15th, 2018, 2:09 pm
Beginning in the early 1990s, the RWN began to consider the development or procurement of a replacement class of submarine for the Type 209-based Menace-class, which had first entered service in the mid-1970s. Numerous studies were undertaken over the following years trying to decide what capabilities were required, whether it should be an off-the-shelf, altered or completely new design, and whether it should be built in Westralia or overseas. Particular attention was payed towards Australia's new Collins-class submarines coming into service, and the numerous problems that program had faced, especially considering that the RWN's requirements were similar to that of the RAN.

By 1997, it had been decided that a new design was to be pursued, but designed and manufactured by an experienced shipbuilder overseas (despite Westralia's experience in shipbuilding, it had not built submarines before and was wary of experiencing the troubles that befell Australia with the Collins-class). Preliminary tenders for the new design were examined from Kockums, HDW, Marconi Marine (VSEL) and DCN International, with Kockums (after 1999 a part of HDW) being declared the winner, primarily because of the success of the new Gotland and its experience with AIP, which was offered in the design. Despite the conflicts involving the Swedish Defense Materiel Administration and Kockums new German owners, the Westralian submarine design was agreed to be built using Kockums expertise but in the HDW yard in Kiel.

Construction on the new class of submarines, christened the Sentinel-class (to follow the RWN (and RN) tradition of somewhat overly-dramatic submarine names), began in early-2000, with the first boat (Sentinel) being delivered in late-2005. This was followed by Severe in 2006, Seeker in 2008, and finally Serious in 2009.

[ img ]

Length: 72m
Displacement: 2900/3200 tonnes
Speed: 10kts surfaced, 20kts submerged
Range: 8000-10000nm
Endurance: 25 days submerged on AIP, 75 days total
Complement: 42, with room for 10 more trainees or other personnel
Armament: MK48 ADCAP Mod 7 (CBASS), UGM-84G Sub-Harpoon, fired via six 533mm torpedo tubes

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on April 22nd, 2018, 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
yurchenko
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: April 15th, 2018, 2:21 pm
Very good work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: April 15th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Nice work, but I think it would look better if you ad a highlight colour at the top ;-)

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: April 25th, 2018, 7:04 am
Just as a small note, I've updated the Broome and Perth Classes slightly. Waterwings and Mihoshik's excellent new Type 45 drawing is now serving as the basis for the Perths, and I've changed some weapons around for both classes

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: May 5th, 2018, 1:12 am
ALBANY LANDING PLATFORM DOCK

HMWS Albany is the sole member of its class of LPD, and forms the Albany Amphibious Detachment. Commissioned in 2000 to replace the former Albany, a Fearless-class LPD purchased in 1966, Albany heralded the beginning of the modernisation of the RWN, utilising new construction practices and design elements that would be influential in later ship-building projects.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Length: 173m
Displacement: 19,000 tons
Speed: 20 kts
Range: 8000nm
Complement: 285
Armament:
As-built - 2 x M2 .50, 1 x Phalanx CIWS
Post-2015 - 2 x M2 .50, 1 x Millennium Gun CIWS
Aviation: Originally embarked 2 x Super Frelons, later 2 x V-22 (or 3 x NH90) with room for another 2 through the use of a collapsible hangar extension,
though this isn't regularly used
Boats: 2 x RHIBs, 4 x LCU or 4 x LCVP
Troops: 390, 650 in overload
Vehicles: Up to 51

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on May 15th, 2018, 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: May 5th, 2018, 11:50 am
I really like that, a very nice design. I could do with something like that in my own AU.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: May 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Very nice, my only comment would be should you not move higher up or add a second CIWS above the hangar as the arcs currently will be only forward due to the larger superstructure?

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: May 9th, 2018, 6:03 pm
Nice work ;-)

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: May 9th, 2018, 6:13 pm
I echo the complements. This is a beautiful LPD. I'd try to fit some sort of low-capability air search radar (e.g., something taken off of a refitting/retiring frigate or destroyer), but that's a matter of personal preference and operational doctrine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »

Jump to: