Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 9th, 2018, 2:35 pm
Well, looks like I have some modifications to make. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 10:14 am
Alright, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on this before I continue with each refit. Does this go towards fixing the issues, for the most part?

[ img ]

Also, if you're wondering why its 1972/75, that's actually because the first three, from 1969, are designed and launched for but not with the Mk22, and have a 3 inch Mk27 mount in the interim. The three ships launched after 1972 have the Mk22, and the other three were refit from 1975. Figured that part of the agreement to put pressure on Soviet interests in the Indian Ocean I mentioned as a part of the AU's history could include the earlier procurement of Mk 22

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 3:01 pm
I think it looks much better my only question would be why keep the old 4.5" that late? The RN Mk8 or a USN 5" (42 or 45) would make more sense would it not? Or twin(MK6)/single(OTO) 3" to save weight?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm
I'm not sure how long the twin 4.5" persisted in RN service, but the humble 5/38 survived on US frigates en masse into the mid-late 1980s, and aboard Glover as far as 1990.

Modernizing tired old hulls past their sell-by date can be an exercise in bad economics.

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 3:39 pm
The Mk 42 was considered too heavy for the Leander hull (the twin 4.5" was the upper limit of what it could handle), so I reasoned it would be here too, and considering I've placed the first of the class coming into service in 1969, it predates the Mk 45 or the Mk 8 4.5". Also, its kinda simple to just use the gun the Leanders use, considering I've created the Esperance class basically as a lengthened deriviative

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm
I'm still dubious. My personal opinion having looked at numerous different ways of doing Leander and Leander-based schemes is to have the Mk.22 in place of the 4.5" twin and then replace the Mk.22 in its current position with an Otobreda 76mm or similar. In essence, a mini Perry.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Personally I would leave that "Brooke" configuration -gun front and Mk22 back. Mk6 mount weight was 45 tons, while Mk8 weighs 27 tons. Mk22 GMLS probably could be used indeed in this design.

You can also search in the link below for the twin 3"/70. In real world, the twin 3"/70 was not very reliable, but British one was better from US similar gun.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_45-55_mk8.php

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 7:48 pm
I agree with Blackbuck here, I am not certain this works.

The Mk 22 looks to be quite high for the standard leander hull, leading to topweight issues. You could counter this with an broader hull, but that would lead to almost an new design instead of just lengthening the ship.
Your shaft ends up at 'machinery height' below the hangar, and the funnel is still forward, so there still is a lot of space between boiler rooms and engine rooms. I am also somewhat worried about the hull strength with the lengthening, so I think you should increase hull depth.

For the gun, note that the Leander conversions replacing the guns were started from 1970 onwards, export ones (such as the Dutch ones) about 5-10 years later I think. Fitting those guns is possible, as the Mk 42 and the bofors M1950 of similar vintage were used a lot longer, but gets a bit less likely at this point. A fit such as blackbuck suggests is also possible, and was IIRC proposed for leander based hulls at some point.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 12th, 2018, 8:15 pm
By point of comparison, Mk 22 and the twin 4.5" were very nearly the same empty weight. Mk 22 probably a bit lower CG relative to the mounting deck plane when unloaded, probably a fair bit higher when loaded.

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 13th, 2018, 1:27 am
I'm considering just ditching the Mk 22 at this point. I was worried about the effect it would have on top weight, and was endlessly comparing weights for it and other launchers, hence why I lowered it slightly from the hangar roof. Bit too much of a hassle

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: