Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 13th, 2018, 7:21 am
That or ditch the 4.5" twin as by late 60s its far less useful than the Mk22 (better for everything apart from shore bombardment), you could balance that with a 3" or just 57/40mm? for small junk bashing?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 13th, 2018, 9:20 am
I agree that providing a SAM system and retaining the 4.5in guns on a standard Leander hull is impossible. To do that would require a new hull with more length and beam and you would quickly grow to something more destroyer sized I think. Plus you've got Ikara which is another heavy and space-intensive system.

The drawing itself looks good but the concept is far too ambitious.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 17th, 2018, 1:37 pm
Rightio, attempt no.3 at the Esperance class

ESPERANCE CLASS
In the early 1960s, the RWN drew up requirements for a new class of frigate, with a decision being reached in 1963 to purchase 6 Garcia-class frigates from the US. However, these plans were cancelled the following year in an act of protest to US pressure to enter the Vietnam War, and new plans were drawn up to procure a different class of frigate. Initially, the design was effectively a lengthened Leander-class, however, by the time construction started, enough alterations had been made that it had become an entirely new class of vessel, though its Type 12 lineage was clearly apparent and the ships still superficially resembled the Leanders. Christened the Esperance class in 1965, the year construction began, the first of class was launched in 1968 and commissioned in 1970.

[ img ]

Length: 123m
Displacement: 3450 tons
Speed: 27kts
Range: 5500mi
Complement: 283
Armament: Mark 6 4.5" (113mm) twin turret, 2 x 40mm L60, 2 x 20mm Oerlikon, 2 x M2 .50BMG, GWS-22 Seacat, Mk32 Torpedo Tubes firing Mk 46, Ikara
Systems: SPS-40, SPS-10, MRS-3, GWS-40, Type 162 and 170 sonar
Aviation: Single Westland Wasp helicopter in general-purpose/anti-submarine role

The first major refit for the class come in 1984, and was informed in places by experience gained during the Falklands War. The most visible changes was the replacement of the 4.5" twin gun with a single Mk45 Mod 1 5" gun, removal of Seacat in favour of Sea Sparrow, as well as the addition of Mk141 cannisters for Harpoon missiles.

[ img ]

Armament Refit: Mk45 Mod 1 127mm, RIM-7M Sea Sparrow fired from Mark 29 Launcher, RGM-84C Harpoon
Systems Refit: SPS-49, SPS-55, WM-25, STIR-180

In 1989, Ikara was deleted and the space left plated over, increasing the flight deck area and providing space for a single Phalanx CIWS.

[ img ]

Weapons Refit: GAM-B01, Phalanx 20mm Block 1 CIWS
Aviation: Single Westland Lynx

The next significant refit for the class came in 1994, with the intention of extending the life of the class into the 2000s at which point it was to be replaced by a new class. SPS-10 was replaced by Sea Giraffe, working in conjunction with the WM-25 FCS, whilst SPS-49 was upgraded to a modified form of V(5). Importantly, the old hull-mounted sonars were replaced with a modified Type 2050 set, and a Type 2031(Z) Towed-Array was fitted in the stern (moving Phalanx to the hangar roof). 8 Mk 48 VLS cells firing RIM-7 were fitted amidships, replacing the Mk 29 launcher to make room for Phalanx on the hangar roof. Two of the class, Bunbury and Rockingham, were retired to offset some of the costs of the refit (Rockingham had been damaged in particularly violent weather in the Southern Ocean and it was decided to retire her instead of repairing the damage). Many of the new systems fitted were effectively pre-purchased for the future frigates (Broome class), the thinking being to reduce costs for the planned frigates construction by shifting weapons and systems from the Esperance class at their retirement.

[ img ]

Armament Refit: Mk 48 VLS firing RIM-7
Systems Refit: SPS-49 upgraded to V(5), Sea Giraffe, Type 2050 hull-mounted sonar, Type 2031 (Z) Towed-Array sonar

I'm hoping this sorts out most of the problems from before, but of course point out any major faults if they're there. If everything works out well enough, I think I might redo the Broome class in-line with what I've drawn here, change systems around and the like.

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on June 17th, 2018, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 17th, 2018, 2:16 pm
Those mostly make sense to me. Not totally sure all of the refits would make sense economically, but such things can be political decisions more so than economic ones!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:06 am
This looks much better, pretty much spot on.
The RN tried to do some ambitious refits so the precedent is there and of course the Leanders had a long life so it makes sense to get the most from them.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 8:37 am
Really EXCELLENT work Kestrel :!:

Very well thought out, intelligent time line and great designs :D

Jolly well done sir :P

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 24th, 2018, 7:48 am
Impressive. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 26th, 2018, 2:10 am
Something always bugged me with my Broome class frigate, never quite looked right, so I decided to redraw it. Initially this was just meant to be a few minor tweaks and switch out some parts so that it reflects the recycling of parts and weapons between ship classes in the AU (Esperance-Broome class), but I ended up entirely redrawing a significant amount, though I can easily say that it certainly looks more 'right' than the old drawing. I retained the modular section just forward of the bridge from the original design, leaving it mostly empty bar a few MK 48 tacked to the inside of it at first but later incorporating Mk 41. I've also started making up my own AU specific parts, starting with guns and the like but bound to expand.

[ img ]

Length:134m
Displacement: 4980 tons
Speed: 29kts (has achieved faster in trials)
Range: 7500nm at 15kts
Complement: 142
Armament: Mk45 Mod 1 127mm, 2 x GAM-B01 20mm, 2 x M2 .50BMG, 8 x Mk48 Mod 0 VLS firing RIM-7VLS and later ESSM, 8 x RGM-84 Harpoon, Mk 46 Torpedo, Phalanx Block 1 20mm CIWS
Systems: Sea Giraffe (later updated to Sea Giraffe AMB in 2010) inside enclosed mast, SPS-49, 2 x SPS-55, 2 x STIR-180, Type 2050 Sonar, Type 2031 (Z) Towed Array Sonar
Aviation and Boats: 2 x Westland Lynx, 2 x RHIB

[ img ]

Displacement: 5380 tons
Armament: Zuytdorp Munitions 127mm gun (ZM L62N), 2 x ZM 35N 35mm (license-produced Rheinmetall WOTAN-35 in a Zuytdorp remote mount), Millenium Gun 35mm CIWS, 2 x M2 .50BMG, 32 x Mk41 VLS firing ESSM, SM-2 (cruise missiles are intended to be integrated, probably Tomahawk), 8 x Harpoon, MU90 Torpedo
Systems: CEAFAR 2(W), Sharpeye, Vampir NG, Ultra 2500, Type 2150 Bow Sonar, Type 2087 (CAPTAS 4) Towed Array Sonar
Aviation: 2 x AgustaWestland Wildcat

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on June 27th, 2018, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 26th, 2018, 1:04 pm
Love the redesigns of the Broomes. They're delightful and seem even more lifelike then before. I half expect to see these tied up to a pier or at a fleet review.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Dominion of WestraliaPosted: June 26th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Oh wow, those are very, very nice. My only complaint is that the SPS-49 mast seems beefy enough to carry SPS-2! Meanwhile, said mast has no TACAN, Link 16, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: