Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 3:14 am
Here are three suggestions how the Type22 could have been brought up to date with relatively simple means:

First out is my proposed modernization of the HMS Sheffield to enable her to soldier on till at least 2020. The weapons' outfit have been refurbished. VLS Sea Wolf have replaced the sextuble launchers fore-and-aft. Instead two 16-cell installations have been fitted abreast the funnel, either side. A 4.5" DP gun is in place in lieu of the old MM38 SSMs and she also have two Goalkeepers. Just abaft the bridge there are two four-canister Harpoon launchers. The electronics have been heavily upgraded too. The ship's A/S weapons' outfit has largely been removed, since the ship's mission has been changed to a general-purpose one. This is a mild, but, I believe realistic variant, devoid of any fantastic, outlandish suggestions. The economic aspect is also tolerable, had the British economy in itself been in a better shape.
I'm only posting these variants since many people claim interest in such ideas! Here's the Sheffield as of now in RN-colors:

1) [ img ]

The other variant is a slightly more elaborate one, with the Sea Wolf VLS positioned forward of the bridge with additional protective shields for the bridge. Thus the forward Goalkeeper has been deleted. Also in place of the midships Sea Wolf VLS installations two RHIBs on either side have been mounted on elevated platforms with an integrated twin-armed davit.

2) [ img ]

Next in line is the Rumanian Regina Maria in another rather realistic and affordable reconstruction. Here the missiles used are largely taken from U.S. weapons' depots as to keep puchase price down. A mix of Israeli and French electronics have replaced to a large extent the ship's original British-made radars etc. The SAM is the Israeli manufactured Barak-system (and fyi: President Obama spells his surname Barack) with the Barak-1 short- to medium distance missile. The air-search radar is the French DRBV-22A radar. All this reflects a historic truth: Even during the Communist-Era, under Nicolae Ceauseauscu, Rumania maintained independent, and fairly strong ties with France. It also was the sole Eastern-Bloc country that maintained cordial relations with the State of Israel! Thus the Jewish State is acknowledging this by assisting the Rumanians in their modernization efforts of their two capital vessels.
The ship has also received a new, comprehensive ECM-set. With a stronger economy this proposition, I think would not be out of the question!

Here's the Regina Maria:

[ img ]

The third and last example is a purely fictional thing. It was construed by me as a proposition for swin_lad for his AU CSS, where I assumed that, in exchange for extensive right to the Scottish-owned natural reservoir deposits in the North Sea, the English Government would allow the Royal Scots Government to purchase the four remaining Batch3s. This having been done the Scots next had the ships rebuilt and modernized at Inverness and Rosyth, where an adapted version of the CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT multi-radar system was fitted together with the Aster-missile system. HMS Cumberland was renamed after the ancient university town of St Andrew, as well as the historic 1 Rate St Andrew of 1668. Thus can be explained the naval ensign and the ship's pennant number.

I hereby give you the fictional H.M.C.S.S. St Andrew:

[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on February 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 3:42 am
I have my doubts about the VLS Sea Wolf installation - that is a LOT of topweight that has to be accounted for.

The last one is amusing, but god only knows why a frigate (!!) would need both Sampson and CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT. Having both as a refit... yeah, that wouldn't work at all.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 5:02 am
Have updated the last version per erik_t:s kind suggestions (per hints!)

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 11:28 am
The Goal keepers on the hanger roof would protrude tofar into the hanger to be feasible on that position Phalanx would be more realistic

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 1:49 pm
rifleman: you'd be right, if I didn't had off-set the Goalkeeper, to starboard, which I think you missed. - It's also raised on a platform like the Goakkeeper installations on the hangar roof of the Dutch S-frigates. In other words, I was aware of the deck penetration. The only viable advatage of the Phalanx as I understand would be a lower acquisition cost. That's why, I believe the Type45s have been prepared for (but not received!) them.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 2:28 pm
Bezobrazov - You do not show the weapons carried by a helicopter on a ship's drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 2:32 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
rifleman: you'd be right, if I didn't had off-set the Goalkeeper, to starboard, which I think you missed. - It's also raised on a platform like the Goakkeeper installations on the hangar roof of the Dutch S-frigates. In other words, I was aware of the deck penetration. The only viable advatage of the Phalanx as I understand would be a lower acquisition cost. That's why, I believe the Type45s have been prepared for (but not received!) them.

Yes that's true, I might have a photo of it. I've seen one, the deck-pen of the GoalKeeper almost toutch the ground of the hangar!

[Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 2:44 pm
Besides agreeing with Alex on his remark, rifleman, if you study the topside layout of the Type22, you'd notice that the hangar is actually offset to port, leaving a narrow - but feasable spot into which one can set the Goalkeeper. I calculated thus that with an elevated platform, and it being offset to starboard the actual intrusion into the hangar space would be quite minimal.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 6:07 pm
can partially agree and given puma dimensions might work

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What ifs: Type22s Modernized:Posted: February 21st, 2011, 8:58 pm
You have a lot of very light grays floating around the drawing. It does not look nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: