Australian National Line
The Australian National Line (ANL) was formed on 01 October 1956 as the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission with the passing of the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission Act. The organisation took around forty ships previously operated by the Australian Shipping Board, which had been formed in 1946 by the Australian Federal Government.
The Australian National Line and its predecessors acquired 20 ships made at the Whyalla shipyards in South Australia prior to 1970. Among them were freighters, colliers and bulk carriers for mineral transport.
In 1974 Australian Coastal Shipping Commission was replaced by the Australian Shipping Commission and in 1989 Australian National Line was established as a wholly owned government company. From 1998, ANL has primarily sourced it's vessels from South Korea and China.
The Australian National Line was an early member of the Australian Shipping and Defence Council (now the Australian Maritime Defence Council) which was established by the Government of Australia in 1982. Ships can, at time of war or natural/humanitarian disasters, be reassigned to the AUSDEF-N for logistics and transportation taskings.