Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 8:53 pm
Hood wrote: *
Glad you finally posted these so everyone could have a look at these.

Nice work on the Talos redraw too. So many older parts have needed touch up work so its nice to see these.
I'm amused that nobody has noticed the updated Exocet MM38 that I used in several of the drawings :D

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 9:16 pm
Miho, it seems something has gone wrong with the Talos, there are several off-white bits on and around the missile.......
(also, I tend to not use perfect white in parts and in drawings in general, except for the background of course)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 9:21 pm
I noticed, Typhon is simply way cooler than Exocet ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 9:26 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Miho, it seems something has gone wrong with the Talos, there are several off-white bits on and around the missile.......
(also, I tend to not use perfect white in parts and in drawings in general, except for the background of course)
The Mk7 GMLS drawing should be fixed. Don't know what went wrong there.
erik_t wrote: *
I noticed, Typhon is simply way cooler than Exocet ;)
Well that's certainly true.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 9:30 am
I noticed it. I like it, a big improvement. I don't think the Exocet has ever had an update since it was drawn eons ago.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 9:53 am
Hood wrote: *
I noticed it. I like it, a big improvement. I don't think the Exocet has ever had an update since it was drawn eons ago.
We really need all the parts sheets back on the main page, because I've lost some during a computer meltdown. I find that nowadays I'm much more comfortable knocking out and improving parts than complete ships.

Of which, I have at least two Dutchs ships planned for this AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 9:59 am
Quite a lot is on the wiki now, at least the recent sheets that were on the old main site. http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... rts_sheets

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 4th, 2018, 1:07 pm
As promised, the first of the Dutch Typhon ships.

The Dutch Guided Missile class frigates, in develoment since the early sixties, had been intended for the combination of Broomstick and the British Sea Dart missile. With the cancellation of Sea Dart and the British decision to switch to the Typhon missile family, a serious redesign of the class was needed. Typhon LR, after all, took up a lot more space than Sea Dart had been intended to.

For a while the intention was to go with a fully missile armed ship, completely eschewing cannons, but the cost of incorporating both Typhon MR and LR in one frame became too much. Ultimately Typhon MR was relegated to the Air Warfare frigate, and in it's place on the GW frigates a surplus cannon from the Holland Class was placed. Although an unusual place for a cannon, reminiscent of some WWII designs, the ship that emerged was a very capable unit that in any other navy would have been called a destroyer.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 4th, 2018, 7:13 pm
In order to fill a much needed requirement for more air warfare assets without resorting to the very capable but very expensive Tromp class ships with their massive Typhon LR and Broomstick sets, the Dutch navy was allowed to order four frigates equipped with Typhon MR and an simplified electronics suite. The ships that emerged would turn out to be roomy and very seaworthy, and would (with mid-life upgrades like a Goalkeeper installation) continue to serve well into the next century.

More than this though, with the program underway and proceeding smoothly, much more so than the Tromp class, it caught the eye of the Australian government. Their attempt at designing a light destroyer had resulted in serious mission creep, and the resulting design would be so expensive to build in Australia, that only two could be ordered. A modified version of the De Ruyter class though, would fit their requirements very well.
It proved entirely possible to fit the design with American electronics, a larger gun, and a double hangar while still retaining significant growth margins. Ultimately the Australian government ordered five Adelaide class destroyers.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Last edited by MihoshiK on March 4th, 2018, 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 4th, 2018, 7:50 pm
Always like the ADF, my second fvorit Dutch design after the S-Class frigate. Not sure however if ADF is real or AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: