Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
asqwerty3342
Post subject: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: September 29th, 2019, 3:36 am
[ img ]

The heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen isn't expended at Bikini Atoll and is eventually handed over to the West German Navy, which overhauls the ship and gets it into a shape to be somewhat useful for the situation of the cold war.

This is the result of a whim and a single afternoons work.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: September 29th, 2019, 5:00 pm
Awesome work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
asqwerty3342
Post subject: Re: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: September 30th, 2019, 6:04 pm
[ img ]

Done some work and I've made improvements.

[Profile] [Quote]
gkm
Post subject: Re: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: October 1st, 2019, 4:02 am
A few problems:
1. Blast from the Y mount.
2. I just see a Terrier mount in place of the X turret. Where is your magazine, reload handling. See the Cleveland CG conversions, Belknap and Leahy class.
3. I think you may need 2 target illuminators.

[Profile] [Quote]
Albert1099
Post subject: Re: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: October 1st, 2019, 11:52 am
Nice, will there be helicopters for ASW support?

And remember what you had.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Prinz Eugen Rim-2 TerrierPosted: October 1st, 2019, 1:00 pm
There's certainly nothing wrong with casual kitbashing, and I don't want to overly diminish anybody's enthusiasm, but it's worth noting just how much more volume was demanded by electronics of that era, and how feeble Prinz Eugen's electrical plant would be up against the demands of those electronics. She (He? I don't remember the convention) would be extremely cramped, probably to the point of unworkability. It's worth noting that the ship cannot transit the Kiel Canal, which supports an air draft of 40m/131'.

You've used a later generation of missile directors (they should be SPQ-5, and in this era, probably only one director per two-rail launcher). I would expect 203mm blast effects on the Terriers to be severe, and it's not clear what purpose surface-launched torpedoes would serve when you can fire Terrier at opposing vessels.

If you want to explore the concept of a four-gun four-rail hybrid further, I think it's much more likely both gun turrets would be on one end, and both missile launchers on the other. On the missile end, I'd probably add an entire deck level above the main deck to accommodate the immense new volume requirements, and build up a radar structure above it.

In the end, I'd expect something that looks more like the front end of Prinz Eugen stuck onto the back end of Long Beach (trading two Talos for four Terrier). And of course, that sounds not unlike Boston and Canberra, which were just such a conversion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: