Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Perky50
Post subject: The Great War at SeaPosted: November 10th, 2019, 8:04 pm
A big thank you to Hood for the basis of this rendition, and a shout out to Garlicdesign for the coloration on the turret roofs. that has become a standard in my timeline.

[ img ]

This is taken from my 'Great War at Sea' timeline. I do a fair bit of AH writing, and one of the things I have picked up in doing that, is it works better if things don't always go quite to plan, and this design is an example of that. You will note a difference in the main armament ass well, as in this timeline the RN will stay with their original lower velocity wire-wound rifles for the time being.

The guns mounted here are a 16.5" weapon, following on as a development of the preceding 15" weapon. The 16.5" which was one of two upgrades developed during the Great War. It's partner-piece is an 18" weapon., however the 16.5" was chosen as the weapon of choice, for while firing a somewhat lighter shell any advantages in potential hitting power was more than offset by the better rate of fire and the more reasonable mount size.
The secondary turrets are a design conceived during the war as well. This came about as a result of the large scale casualties caused by the previous poorly screened mounts on the cruisers of the RN.

While the while the original battle cruiser design has the whole secondary battery turreted, due to space limitations with the inclusion of the flight deck and hangars, the aft secondary turrets were suppressed and replaced with casements.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Great War at SeaPosted: November 11th, 2019, 7:31 am
Two things.

1) That looks awesome!

and

2) Where can I read this AU?!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: The Great War at SeaPosted: November 11th, 2019, 11:20 am
Thank you kindly, it's a long way from perfect, and is not so much original drawing as it is using what is available to visually present a written concept ... and what is available here is truly amazing!

There are writing styles whereby you can take a questionable fictional idea and turn it into something believable, their are many examples of that in fiction in general, and alternate history in particular.

By having something like Shipbucket available as well can set out the believe-ability much better, within properly set out parameters.

As to the Timeline, I have different takes on portions of it posted on Alternate history.com under the title "The Great War at Sea". It's pretty convoluted at this point over there, however it will give you the gist of it.

It has been a twelve year labour getting it to these final months of completion, with divorce, a business failure, nerve surgery in my left arm, and prostate cancer surgery mixed in among other diversions... well,combining such things can set up some interesting writer's block ...lol ...but things are starting to slide back into the groove ... I'm still here and I'm still kicking ...

Thanks again

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: