Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 912 »
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 6:27 pm
Rhade wrote: *
Cargil48 wrote: *
What do you think?
When story of tiny mustache Austrian and his crooks end around 1935, Reichsmarine would not transform in Kriegsmarine so it would use Weimarer ensign or just go back to Kaiserliche white ensign. The name Reich still apply as Germany had been a federation of lands, term Third Reich would not exist but Deutsches Reich if it would reinstate monarchy or Deutsche Republik if stay in republican model still would fit.
Thanks for the reply. Well, from 1935 on, the "Third Reich" was extinguished and the nation was simply named "Deutschland". Its national flag was the "black/white/red" one with the black cross in the middle. Only later, in 1946, when the military regime of von Witzleben judged the situation stable enough to call for elections for a new National Assembly, the elected Assembly decided to change the designation to "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" exactly for the reasons you menjtion. The flag was also changed to the one we know now.

Now to the "Bismarck": At the stern pole is now the national flag, the red one is the DKM oficial floag and the white one is the commemorative flag for the "Day of the Jutland Battle" of WWI. I saw this on the net, while searching for the different flags used by the German marine throughout the times.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 6:29 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Cargil48 wrote: *
The catapult was indeed planned at first (in my AU DKM timeline...) but dropped when the new guidelines for the German DKM were implemented which stated that each fleet would have one aircraft carrier in its line-up. This obviously made battleship or heavy cruisers not needing anymore to carry scout planes aboard. In case of the "Bismarck" the big crane was already installed and the lifeboats installed higher than needed so it was decided to place another pair of 10,5cm AA guns on each side, turned backwards, to complement the two mounts placed forward. Itr was therefore decided to let the boats where they aere in the first place because being higher mounted, they could also be mounted more to the inside, giving the AA guns more operational space. A smaller crane wilol possibly be installed the next time a major overhaul of mthe big ship is needed...
This makes little sense. The catapult and crane and hangar would already be installed but the lengthening and new machinery was not? You mentioned this was decided at the start of construction (as it should be)
Oh dear, will I really have to change the crane?... Factually you are correct, obviously... I will do it, but not today.

Edit: Btw, what has the lengethening of the ship and the bigger machinery to do with what would be installed later on the ship's superstructure? Just a little interest of the changes a warship goes through during its life span...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 6:45 pm
The lengthening and machinery has something to do with the equipment as in that the new machinery and it's modified funnel block the catapult, so already very early in the construction process that aircraft crane, hangar and catapult would not be placed as such. you said "The big crane was already installed" while it would never have been.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
The lengthening and machinery has something to do with the equipment as in that the new machinery and it's modified funnel block the catapult, so already very early in the construction process that aircraft crane, hangar and catapult would not be placed as such. you said "The big crane was already installed" while it would never have been.
OK, I stand corrected, thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 8:59 pm
Now to the problem of the small service boats placed somewhat higher than normal. I tried to find detailed pictures of how "Bismarck" was in real and found that if the service boats would be places lower, they would lessen the working space on the deck, especially if we try to fill the space left free by the catapult which is not there. This free space I'd fill with more AA gunnery, and with the best possible arc of operation, without service boats standing in the way. So I'd say they remain where they were, only the crane will be of smaller size. Opinions?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm
Well you could remove the hangar and just put the boats where the hangar was? or where the airplane catapult was? You freed that space by removing the aircraft. You could also move the crane more inboard, and putting boats where the crane was (which would improve sky arcs of the guns possibly)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm
Where the catapult was there are already 10,5cm double mounts. I had already changed that today afternoon, I must very hionestly admit that I cannot identify the hangar in the pics...

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 10:38 pm
The hangar is where the aft boats are stowed, between 105mm numbers 5 and 6.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 23rd, 2020, 11:10 pm
Thx

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: AU WWII scenarioPosted: August 24th, 2020, 4:56 pm
DKM Bismarck. Commissioned: 24 August 1940 (Wikipedia)

80 years to this exact day. Eight years later this your humble servant came to this world... (This is not AU... :) )

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 912 »

Jump to: