Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1416 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:07 pm
something went wrong with the quote :P had to puzzle seeing your replies.
the middle mounts cannot do much more then 90 degrees, maybe about 120, because otherwise they interfere with each other, and because the superstructure blocks them.
the forward and aft guns cannot fire straight ahead, because that would result in blast damage and risk by hits on the forward and aft superstructures.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:21 pm
Okay,

Here's a quick down and dirty preview of what I'm thinking of for 1944: :D

[ img ]

[ img ]

Don't be too harsh It's still very much a WIP :D

More small 40 and 20mm AA-Guns will be added asn well as another Mk-37 centered between the funnels most likely. ;)

Last edited by David Latuch on July 25th, 2014, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:40 pm
You show the new 5/38s replacing the 6/47 with the mount rotation center and the turret rotation center co-located. I don't have a good feel for the necessary dimensions of 5/38 handling spaces, but it would be neat if the replacement 5/38 mounts could move outboard a few feet. There's not much reason that they have to be coincident with the old 6/47, and this would get you slightly improved firing arcs.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:43 pm
Hi David,

I do have a question, apologies for not asking earlier, but it's only just occurred to me ... with your 2+2 setup on the Mk 37s, is there a risk of a single hit taking out both forward or both aft AA directors?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:51 pm
Please put the elevation and plan views on the same template... it's such a mess trying to look between the outboard profile and plan views on these drawings since they're split up...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Will do.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 9:00 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi David,

I do have a question, apologies for not asking earlier, but it's only just occurred to me ... with your 2+2 setup on the Mk 37s, is there a risk of a single hit taking out both forward or both aft AA directors?

Regards,
Adam
Good question! :D

The only reason that they are arranged that way is because most battleships of the era mounted the Mk-19s on either side of the pilot house. I felt, even with the upgrade to the Mk-37s, that the designers and shipwrights would keep them there do to the added expense of remounting them elsewhere. I had two on either side outboard of the funnels, but there was an immediate backlash, so I removed the offensive critters.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 9:09 pm
erik_t wrote:
You show the new 5/38s replacing the 6/47 with the mount rotation center and the turret rotation center co-located. I don't have a good feel for the necessary dimensions of 5/38 handling spaces, but it would be neat if the replacement 5/38 mounts could move outboard a few feet. There's not much reason that they have to be coincident with the old 6/47, and this would get you slightly improved firing arcs.
True, I wondered about that too. all i can say is that love of symmetry got the best of me. I'll give it a try and see how it looks . . . no promises. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 25th, 2014, 10:48 pm
Actually, with the removal of all of the 6/47, that entire O1 level amidships might be removed and refigured! You probably wouldn't want to remove the 6/47 barbettes below the main deck, but I'm not even sure of that...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 26th, 2014, 12:35 am
erik_t wrote:
Actually, with the removal of all of the 6/47, that entire O1 level amidships might be removed and refigured! You probably wouldn't want to remove the 6/47 barbettes below the main deck, but I'm not even sure of that...
If you look at the positiioning of the new 5"/38s, thats exactly what I didn't do; the barbetts are still in place and now serve as the handling roons for the 5" guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1416 »

Jump to: