Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16
Karle94
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 29th, 2014, 11:04 pm
erik_t wrote:
I very much doubt it, but I have no direct evidence. In practice, I don't think surface engagement was common during an aerial attack. And when I say "not common", I don't know if it ever happened.
Samar is the only example that I know of. We all know how that went. A combined surface-aearial attack is very effective at reducing the effectiveness of both AA defenses and the guns firing at surface targets. As for blast damage from the Iowas, I have seen a video of people on the forecastle filming whilst all the 16 inch guns are firing. So it is possible to stand within 50-75 meters of the guns without injury. Don`t know what happens to people within 10-20 meters, although I suspect heavy injury and/or death is very likely.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 29th, 2014, 11:42 pm
Hi love your ship.

but just noticed on the bow and stern is the boat crane higher on the stern view than the bow one ?

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 7:00 pm
JSB wrote:
Hi love your ship.

but just noticed on the bow and stern is the boat crane higher on the stern view than the bow one ?

JSB
I just caught that myself . . . late night drawing oops :oops: I was refreshing the update just before I read your comment :D Good eye ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 7:03 pm
Karle94 wrote:
erik_t wrote:
I very much doubt it, but I have no direct evidence. In practice, I don't think surface engagement was common during an aerial attack. And when I say "not common", I don't know if it ever happened.
Samar is the only example that I know of. We all know how that went. A combined surface-aearial attack is very effective at reducing the effectiveness of both AA defenses and the guns firing at surface targets. As for blast damage from the Iowas, I have seen a video of people on the forecastle filming whilst all the 16 inch guns are firing. So it is possible to stand within 50-75 meters of the guns without injury. Don`t know what happens to people within 10-20 meters, although I suspect heavy injury and/or death is very likely.
Did Yamato have the same difficulty even with the enclosed AA-mounts? It seems very strange that US designers hadn't thought of an air attack on their ships as they were attempting to engage either another ship or bombard a coast.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 7:13 pm
It's important to remember that most of the USN BB light AA fit of which we usually think was very much added on an ad-hoc basis. I think the interwar idea, when they had time to really consider things like this, was .50cal way up on the masts, 1.1" on the superstructure, and 5/25 amidships, well away from blast.

By the time it's 1942, well, you cease shore bombardment fire if the skies fill up with bad guys. If you're engaging another battleship, you probably break off the engagement for twenty or thirty minutes, by which time he really won't have gone THAT far away. If the Japanese have managed to get your battleship in a position where you can be subjected to continuous battleship and aerial attack, you congratulate him on a well-planned engagement and kiss your ass goodbye.

I'm not sure there's a better answer, short of an AK-630 farm or something ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 7:40 pm
erik_t wrote:
It's important to remember that most of the USN BB light AA fit of which we usually think was very much added on an ad-hoc basis. I think the interwar idea, when they had time to really consider things like this, was .50cal way up on the masts, 1.1" on the superstructure, and 5/25 amidships, well away from blast.

By the time it's 1942, well, you cease shore bombardment fire if the skies fill up with bad guys. If you're engaging another battleship, you probably break off the engagement for twenty or thirty minutes, by which time he really won't have gone THAT far away. If the Japanese have managed to get your battleship in a position where you can be subjected to continuous battleship and aerial attack, you congratulate him on a well-planned engagement and kiss your ass goodbye.

I'm not sure there's a better answer, short of an AK-630 farm or something ;)
I rather like Goalkeeper better than AK-630s but to each their own. :lol:

But I see your point very clearly :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 8:03 pm
[quote="erik_t"I'm not sure there's a better answer, short of an AK-630 farm or something ;)[/quote]

A bunch of vikings showing the middle finger perhaps...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 30th, 2014, 9:02 pm
heuhen wrote:
[quote="erik_t"I'm not sure there's a better answer, short of an AK-630 farm or something ;)
A bunch of vikings showing the middle finger perhaps...[/quote]

Aye :x That would scare the living bagebers out of them it would :lol: Or, purhaps they would think you were saying that they were "number one" and then try to become your friend.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: August 3rd, 2014, 9:07 pm
I've updated the New Hampshire in the first entry of this thread. Take a look and,

Critique, commment and/or suggest corrections.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: January 1st, 2015, 7:30 pm
Is this still going?

Also, curious about the displacement and whatnot. A SpringSharp report would be nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16

Jump to: