Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 6:34 am
[ img ]
Posted here for those who don't visit the Beginner's Forum, here is my first completely hand-drawn, non kitbashed work on SB. Still a lot of things I don't know, but hopefully not too bad for a first effort.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 7:19 am
Great work, but it reminds me of a scene from Hitchhiker's Guide... "it's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

Perhaps a tiny bit of variation in the shade of black is in order?

Aside from that, it's a gorgeous drawing of an unfortunate ship, built in a time when even a ship's worst enemy was the rapid march of technology.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 7:36 am
Any recommendation on color scheme?

It is true that the vessel was most likely obsolete as soon as it was launched. I based it off the Chinese vessels of this general type. Despite their obsolescence they stood up pretty well to what the Japanese threw at them in the Sino-Japanese war--had their officers & crews been as sturdy as those ships, they might have been able to give better account of themselves.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

Last edited by Obsydian Shade on May 29th, 2011, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 8:07 am
I would suggest using darker grey (even darker than the hull) for the railing when it abreast of the dark grey hull... unless the railing is indeed supposed to be "gold".
If you want good set of detail just study other drawings of these era ships and "shamelessly" copy what the others have done ;)

Overally its really encouraging to see these kind of own desings instead some Kirov-Iowa hybrid with APAR radard kitbashing. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 8:32 am
Quote:
I would suggest using darker grey (even darker than the hull) for the railing when it abreast of the dark grey hull... unless the railing is indeed supposed to be "gold".
I was going for brass, actually. What is the SB standard color for that?
Quote:
If you want good set of detail just study other drawings of these era ships and "shamelessly" copy what the others have done
In doing the masts and other odd bits, I extensively used Darth Panda's Victoria and Alexandra as advice on how to shade and what colors should be used, but I didn't directly use anything from those works, hence why no crediting was done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 8:34 am
[ img ]

Here's a slightly more colorful version.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 9:05 am
[ img ]

This was my original idea before I switched to the dome turrets, though I like them better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Nice drawing; but if I remember the model right, of the two large turrets, should the forward one be on the starboard side and the aft one on Port side?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 12:48 pm
Probably, but these aren't meant to be exact depictions of those vessels, only of the general type for a future AU. What happened is the model picture I was using as a base (you can see which one in the Beginner's Forum) was turned facing the other direction, so I did up my drawing to match, as it made it easier to work from. Shipbucket default, however, is all vessels are turned facing right, so for my final presentation, I reversed the drawing to conform.

This caused all sorts of problems, because when I did the shading to the masts, funnels, and turrets, the drawings I was using as a color guide were facing the usual direction, causing me to accidently do the shading in the wrong direction, making me go back and fix the whole thing afterwards. Lesson learned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: 1870s-1880s TurretshipPosted: May 29th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Cascadia wrote:
Nice drawing; but if I remember the model right, of the two large turrets, should the forward one be on the starboard side and the aft one on Port side?
Actually... no, not on this ship.
http://www.arkmodel.com/b7510_e.htm

Both turrets were forward of the boiler room, placed en echelon.
His drawing is accurate- and according to these models, the superstructure was white- which should help with that nasty black-on-black problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: