Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 15  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: August 24th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Torpedo tubes can be mounted on each beam, giving the same broadside, but double the number of torpedoes. Also loose the 12.7mm and 20mm and go for a uniform armament of 40mm guns, which will give you more lethality agains aircraft, in that time-frame.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: August 24th, 2010, 8:05 pm
BrockPaine wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
especially since during the Peruvian Civil War most of the Chilean/Atlantean aircraft kills were by AA boats.
Oh really?
Oh hai thar. Yeah I take it I got some details wrong didn't I? :P
Blackbuck wrote:
Thoughts?

Yeah - do I deserve partial credit or did you change everything just enough?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: August 24th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Credit for the original design maybe but I've drawn the ship from the ground up, just the same sort of shape as yours :)

@ AA armament and torps. Will go and take a look at it again in paint.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: August 24th, 2010, 9:28 pm
klagldsf wrote:
BrockPaine wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
especially since during the Peruvian Civil War most of the Chilean/Atlantean aircraft kills were by AA boats.
Oh really?
Oh hai thar. Yeah I take it I got some details wrong didn't I? :P
Neither the Chilean nor the Atlantean fleets suffered much in the way of air attacks. The only AA action I found in re-reading my notes was when the Chilean battlecruiser Santiago (launched 1913, refitted 1930) downed two SM.79 bombers making torpedo attacks on her. With 184+ aircraft losses in the war, that's... eh, 1% of all Peruvian losses. It was mostly from a lack of opportunity: the Chilean and Atlantean fleets generally stayed out of aircraft range and therefore never had to prove their AA. One of the other occasions they got an inbound raid, CAP dispersed it before the attackers entered flak range.

However, the old Peruvian battleship Huascar shot down five aircraft during the Battle of Tortugas, and a carrier raid on Lima met heavy flak, including fire from a 1935 heavy cruiser.

So if "most of the aircraft kills" means "around 1%" and by "AA boats" you mean "modernized Great War battlecruiser", then you're right. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: A CL from nothing and nowhere or between a rock and a hard pPosted: September 29th, 2011, 12:24 am
Been messing about this week due to this ever so fun stomach virus. Mainly been looking into designing systems and the like and from that mainly aircraft though I've been working on a wee floaty project too.
Based in the pax universe at one point or another. 9,442,10,581 tonnes - 10x 152mm/53, 8x 105mm/40, 16x 20mm/70 and 8x 13mm - 76mm armour belt and 51mm over the magazines and machine spaces. 8x 533mm tubes in two quadruple mounts. She's fitted to carry a scout though I think her catapult may be too short for most things save for some of the lighter biplane designs... Top speed of 31kts and a range of 5,500nmi @ 11kts. Would of been built between 1937 and 1940 ish. Features surface search radar fore and aerial search aft as well as directors at either end for the main battery and 4 separate HA/LA director/range finders for the 105mms amidships. The enclosed lifeboats again some might feel a tad modern but I like them and as said before they've been around for some time now. Excuse the floaty sailor... He's just had too many beans...

[ img ]

Regards, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: September 29th, 2011, 8:13 am
I like it!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: September 29th, 2011, 8:38 am
While it's true that enclosed lifeboats have been around for longer than you'd think, they weren't invented until 1944.
Also, the lack of heavy MG AAA (Bofors and the like) is rather odd.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: September 29th, 2011, 8:57 am
The idea was that she and/or however many of her class there were would be refitted around 2-3 years in service, the aircraft handling gear would be removed and the smaller boat and cargo handing crane centred between the funnels, the plane handling stuff would be replaced what will end up most likely being the precursor to the 57mm I use for Lithentis in pax most likely in open twin mounts. As for the 1944 thing the places I looked said 1904... It took some Norwegians across the Atlantic.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: September 29th, 2011, 10:25 am
Oh? Do you have a link? It sounds interesting.
Anyway, even if they were available at the time, I doubt they'd make out the entire boat complement since while they are good lifeboats they are of limited use as utility boats.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: September 29th, 2011, 10:45 am
http://auld-rasmie.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... eboat.html

First one I could find. Granted it is rather more round and old fashioned looking than mine though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 15  [ 149 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »

Jump to: