Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 15  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1215 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Next project...Posted: November 7th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Next project from me. In part as a follow on to my Tartar carrier but also as something to be analogous to a Type 22/23, not sure how if that's really happened though... I'm wondering amongst other things if A: she's going to be overly heavy on the bow and B: if I've overloaded the basic design... She will be COGAG in the same respect that the Hatakaze class were only Tyne and Olympus rather than Spey and Olympus. More to come obviously.

[ img ]

ETA: Can I just make it clear that I hate lattice masts with a passion.

~Regards, Mark.

Last edited by Blackbuck on November 8th, 2012, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm
nice!

With that beam at bow you have (I don't know what waterline beam you have, only deck beam) she can probably handle the weight at the bow. The Only heavy part in that area is the VLS. and to get the weight as far back as possible on the bow I suggest to put the sonar between the VLS and the 5".

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm
in my tartar challenge thread and in the beginners guide I have included how to calculate the center of gravity. to check if she is bow heavy, you should estimate that and check if you have it above your center of bouyancy.
pm me if you need help with that, I have calculation XLS files which I thrust you would put to good use ;)
it is looking good to me btw.

my only real comment is on your text: IIRC, the spey is more or less the olympus replacement, so hatakaze and similar engined ships were all tyne+ olympus powered, if I remember that correct.

on a sidenote, it is great to see my parts being used to their full potential, in this case sometimes even only days since they are drawn :D

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Removing and replacing the gas turbines would be a real pain with the current uptake arrangement. And the extra splitting of the VLS doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 7th, 2012, 11:00 pm
How would you suggest remedying their removal? For the Tynes at least I don't see it as too problematic but I do agree on trying to get the Olympus' out... Regarding the VLS. I'm just using the existing parts that ace provided so take that up with him.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 8th, 2012, 3:18 am
The time-honored approach is intakes and uptakes directly above the turbines, so that they can actually be lifted directly out of the existing holes.

As for the VLS, I mean I don't see why you have two little VLS blocks amidships, rather than concentrating everything forward.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 8th, 2012, 8:38 am
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/m ... takaze.jpg
seems like on hatakaze (and, IIRC, on the dutch ships too, but I should check that) the olympusses are placed under the funnel, the tynes being able to be moved through it's intake ducts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 8th, 2012, 10:19 am
erik_t wrote:
The time-honored approach is intakes and uptakes directly above the turbines, so that they can actually be lifted directly out of the existing holes.

As for the VLS, I mean I don't see why you have two little VLS blocks amidships, rather than concentrating everything forward.
I've revised the funnel and uptake arrangement and dimensions in an attempt to aid removal...

Well my original intent with the VLS was somewhat like the Murasame with RIM-7/162 amidships and with (in my case) RIM-66 and RUM-139 forward.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Blackbuck's Designs (Non Atlantia AU)Posted: November 8th, 2012, 6:53 pm
I just noticed your radar setup. the SMART-S and WM-29 are never used at the same time, as they do about the same job. the ZW-06 is an surface search/navigation radar, I would suggest putting it forward of the mast.
for an good layout, you should be somewhere between the heemskerck class and the korean KDX-2, as both those ships use STIR's and standard missiles, but, while the heemskerck is older, it also uses NSSM. (and is slightly more powerful for it's time then KDX-2, which IMO is a bit more general purpose)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Updates...Posted: November 12th, 2012, 11:41 am
Obviously there is still a lot of detailing and stuff to be done but I figure I'll post this here whilst I'm connected to the internet (my ISP is currently being quite unfavourable)

[ img ]

As you can probably guess the red outlined stuff isn't installed at the same time as the rest and would feature as a future upgrade.

ETA: Remember it's not yet finished until I post a final entry somewhere D:

Last edited by Blackbuck on November 12th, 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 15  [ 149 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1215 »

Jump to: