Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 2:26 pm
Enterprise E is 250 odd meters longer than Knock Nevis, but in terms of habitable volume only about 80 meters longer. Enterprise D is the real giant of the Enterprise family.

Alternate flying concept: DS9 runabout converted to a gunship, AC-130 style with heavy phasers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:08 am
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_Naval_Patrol

its real. and probably needed when they have worlds named Pacifica.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:18 am
I also suspect modern stealth techniques and superstructure design are not taken into account when design the Federation Naval Patrol's ships... also if you look at the first picture you can see a ocean going ship (circa 2150) http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/incon ... ldings.htm if you click on the first image. I would also bet dollars to donuts that there is a even more refined version somewhere on the net.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 5:27 am
Philbob wrote:

its real.
No it's not, it's a TV show :P

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 6:14 am
Philbob wrote:
I would also bet dollars to donuts that there is a even more refined version somewhere on the net.
You'd think so...but it's actually highly doubtful. Think about getting a screen grab from the TV and then enlarging it - all you'd get are just pixels. Any enhancements would end up just being an extrapolation. And as for getting the actual original source material from the producers of the episode itself - that almost never happens (and that website, Ex Astris Scientia, is actually pretty good at getting that stuff when available - it's probably the most comprehensive and dedicated Star Trek site on the whole Internet). Another thing to keep in mind is that it's just a background object - it's something someone (usually either the scene/set director, set designer or CGI artist) put in there either to add visual interest, keep the background from looking too "empty" or avoid it looking like a ghost town or simply because they thought it would be a neat thing to put in there. Because it's just floating in the background, and only on screen for about three seconds at the most, the CGI or physical model will be very simple and/or rough and when viewed in its entirety it'll be obviously unfinished at best and hard to tell what it even represents at worst. Because of this, simple quick photoshops are also very common, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone just real quickly photoshopped a real vessel (and once again, because it's just on the screen for a few seconds as part of a much larger scene, it's hard for the human eye and brain to register it as a cut-out moving in an extremely consistent, unnatural fashion).

Also, I just recalled the episode the Naval Patrol is mentioned in (one of my favorites from that particular series), and it's not made clear if it's an actual armed military naval force or if it's just the equivalent of a naval cadet corps ala USCG Eagle.

Last edited by klagldsf on October 25th, 2011, 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 6:56 am
I've just watched the clip in question and it's a yacht.

A horribly out of scale super yacht - at least 200 ft long and 45 ft tall, could be as much as 90ft tall If 90 ft tall then a good 400 ft long. with 30 feet of freeboard. I'd guess toward the higher end of those numbers. With those numbers I'd guess she's moving at 35-40 knots.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 6:57 am
Another thing I forgot to mention, is given time constraints especially, not a lot of thought is put into background objects like this :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 1:33 pm
Perhaps the FNP is more Coast Guard than Navy...Just trawling the web quickly, Water sports are still popular in the future (And why not? Anyone who's ever been out on the ocean knows how great it is, cutting up the water on a nice, sunny day), and the FNP could be a search and rescue unit first, and maybe act as local militias in the event of war. Something like an extra line of defense against invasion. By the way, I have the runabouts somewhat done...I'll probably post those in Non-Shipbucket, since they 1. Aren't ocean going vessels, and 2. are in FD scale.

Edit: I'm considering drawing the Starships assigned to Starbase Leatherneck...The USS Atlantis isn't too bad, She's an Intrepid class (350 meters long or so.) The Fearless...that's a different animal. (1011 meters or roughly 6600 pixels). fearless is around 20 percent done right now. She has a hull, impulse engines, and torpedo launchers. Need to add details, warp nacelles, phasers, and the command center.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Navybrat85 wrote:
Perhaps the FNP is more Coast Guard than Navy...Just trawling the web quickly, Water sports are still popular in the future (And why not? Anyone who's ever been out on the ocean knows how great it is, cutting up the water on a nice, sunny day), and the FNP could be a search and rescue unit first, and maybe act as local militias in the event of war.
*shrugs* that's kind of a bit of an extrapolation since the only watersports we've witnessed on the show take place in indoor pools.

Any guess, really, would be an extrapolation. My assertion that it's a cadet corps is an extrapolation. We won't know until there's "canon" information - and really, the whole concept of "canon" for a TV show (sci-fi or not) is complicated at best and a personal hobby pursuit in the end (this is regardless of what anybody's rationalization of their own personal time utilige says). Honestly, whatever the case, it's irrelevant to your goals as you're free to design a waterborne ship for Starfleet anyway - it just reflects a greater imagination and respect to the "spirit" of the show if it were to also respect the show's aesthetic (which is particularly important for Star Trek).

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: 24th Century GunboatPosted: October 25th, 2011, 5:09 pm
An alternative concept was suggested to me by another player that the ship be more Defiant-like. Whatever it's actual design, the mission is simple: Support Special operations, as well as prevent the enemy (Cut off from reinforcements, and without air assets and transporter technology due to attrition) from crossing the Thylessia river and turning the entire campaign into Vietnam, 2385. Being on the river, she can have a faster reaction time than ground-based Artillery systems, which have to contend with a dense forests, impeding their movements, and Air assets from Leatherneck cannot maintain station 100% of the time. (this is somewhat Cannon. Indirect Fire Artillery was shown being used, at least by the Klingons, in Deep Space Nine. I'd imagine even with the advancements of the 24th Century, the Kings of Battle are still relevant.)

And yes, Starbase Leatherneck IS named after, and to an extent modeled after and in honor of, the real life Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: