Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Dilandu
Post subject: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 7:05 am
The basis idea is not mine.

Concept - modernization in 1928-1932 dreadnought "Dante Aliger" into something resembling conceptually the German "pocket battleships". Goal - to give to Italian Navy a high-speed ship, surpassing the heavy cruisers of France and Britain and is able to float away from the old French battleships.

During the works two central towers were removed , and through this - extended the engine room. Casemates auxiliary replaced by a universal artillery twin towers. Final aim was to obtain "pocket battleship" with a rate of about 28 knots.

Last edited by Dilandu on November 1st, 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 12:09 pm
hum...very interesting...
But it's a little weak for me.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm
Are the secondaries 130mm guns? You seem to have missed their directors... And the top-level bridge appears too cramped for an adult to stand in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:07 pm
Interesting idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:20 pm
Biancini1995 wrote:
She is not weak and she would still be able to out-class many cruisers or other ships...

[Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:37 pm
Quote:
Weak for what? With the 6 305-mm guns (and possibly a 320-mm 320 mm/44 Model 1934), it will be stronger than any of the heavy cruiser with a 203-millimeter guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:39 pm
Dilandu wrote:
Quote:
Weak for what? With the 6 305-mm guns (and possibly a 320-mm 320 mm/44 Model 1934), it will be stronger than any of the heavy cruiser with a 203-millimeter guns.
I read the original proposal (in Russian), the plan was to use her to disrupt French convoys sailing between the mainland and her colonies in North Africa. Unless the convoy is covered by capital ships I can easily see this design doing a fair bit of damage.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:45 pm
I have doubts about the reconstruction you are planning to do. removing the armoured magazines and barbettes (the turrets) and replacing them by open space (machinerooms) might have quite an impact on the ships strenght.
it is possible, but I doubt it would be worth the cost on an already fast hull. I can understand removing one (or maybe 2) of the main turrets and the addition of new machinery to upgrade her speed, but even that is quite the modification.......
the 28 knots seems a bit optimistic.... was this from an real proposal, and was that speed given in the proposal?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 4:08 pm
I agree with Ace ... here when it comes to speed. all hulls have a limit to how fast they can go before they become difficult to "deal with". I doubt to whether you manage to get her into more than 24/25 knots regardless of whether you put 1 million hp down there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: "Dante Aligeri"-class "pocket battleship" conversionPosted: November 1st, 2011, 4:11 pm
22,4 knots was a standart for "Dante" (32000 hp)

"Conte di Cavour" has a 21,5 knots in 1915 (31500 hp). After reconstruction it has a 28 knots. (93000 hp)

Are you thinking that more fast "Dante" couldn't reach 28 knots?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: