Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 13th, 2012, 7:36 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Quote:
the turrets are on the hull, the sponsons are for the crew to get around the bloody things.
Right. I'm not sure that this still makes sense. Insisting on large sponsons to faciltate pedestrian passage? :shock: I mean, what is the overiding reason to install these large 'carbunkles', just to allow people to stroll around them! I'm assuming you're being ironic here :lol:
Can't sneak nothing past you, can I? ;)
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
That said, I still stand by my initial assessment, that this is a seriously overloaded hull, that, while being an interesting concept, just doesn't fit together as a workable design :)
It really doesn't have that much more than the original design, though. The only difference being using the twin turrets in place of the multiple single mounts on the original, and replacing the two aft main gun turrets with the Sea Slug.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm
Thiel wrote:
Having thought a bit more about it I have to agree with Bill.
I'd scrap the 40mm since it doesn't have a worthwhile firing arc anyway, remove the sponsoons since they're unnecessary and lastly I'd remove one set of 3"/70ies. The Tiger class only had three on a much fuller hull. I'd move the remaining set further aft to where the boats are now to even out the load a bit. The boats can be relocated to between the funnels.
Since you carry ASW helicopters you should consider a sonar.
Oh and I'm not sure the Type 992 radar was in service yet. In fact I'm fairly certain it wasn't.
The 40mm is there because I had a big open space and no idea what to put there. I know the firing arc is crap. I'm open to suggestions on what else to put there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 13th, 2012, 10:45 pm
Instead of the 40mm put two more boats?. Also you need directors for the 3"/70 mountings. I would also give the bow some more sheer, replace the Type 992 with the radar now currently at the top of the mainmast head (what radar is it anyway?).
One thing more: the curve of the stern looks somewhat odd. Maybe make it smoother, more rounded?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 13th, 2012, 11:12 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
It really doesn't have that much more than the original design, though. The only difference being using the twin turrets in place of the multiple single mounts on the original, and replacing the two aft main gun turrets with the Sea Slug.
That is quite a bit more. Both the 6" and 3" were true monsters, both in terms of weight and in terms of volume.
The 6" weighed half again as much as the Swedish guns and due to it's high rate of fire required a bigger magazine. The 3" weighs twice as much of the 57mm, and where the 57mm were a so called low impact design (In terms of hull) the 3"/70 was infamous for just how much space it took up. And then there's the Sea Dart. Like all 1st gen naval SAMs it was heavy and required oceans of space.
Your drawing actually shows that quite nicely. In order to accommodate it you've had to ad a superstructure that's half a deck higher than what was there before and three times wider. And to top it all off you've added a much heavier radar. So no, it's not even close to what the original carried.
Zephyr wrote:
The 40mm is there because I had a big open space and no idea what to put there. I know the firing arc is crap. I'm open to suggestions on what else to put there.
That's never a good reason to install something. If, after you've added all the bits a ship needs, you end up with a bit of open space you're just lucky. Having an open space is not a bad thing, in fact it tends to be a good thing. It gives you somewhere to put new kit when you decide to upgrade it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 14th, 2012, 11:42 am
Looking at this design, I like it; IMHO, an essentially good concept that just needs some 'fine tuning'; if you don't mind me throwing in my own suggestions Zephyr? I'd consider adopting the earlier Bofors 57mm (if allowed) instead of the 3-in twins; and stick with the original Bofors 6-in triple mount as the British unit was very temperamental in operation. You could justify a 57mm mount forward of the bridge, as I think maybe the Seacat there is hard to sustain in operation. I would also move the Seacat that was forward into a midship position, and junk the large mutiple 40mm mount. One problem is that having a hangar either side of the aft funnel creates a large block that also inhibits the arcs of fire of the secondary armanent; but that said I salute your ingenuity in getting the helicopter platform and the Seaslug on board. The only other thing I'd change is the funnels - I just prefer them remodelled to the vertical. Um....it looks like I'm asking for an entirely different ship here :P

I might even 'nick' it sometime for a future AU of my own ;)

p.s. The liferafts? So 'retro' duckie; I'd get rid of em and replace with the normal inflateable units 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 16th, 2012, 4:02 am
Been away this weekend. Anyhow, after reading through the suggestions, it seems I have some decisions to make about a few tweakings. I'll try and make some alterations in the next day or two and see what we cme up with. Thanks all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 16th, 2012, 9:20 am
Novice wrote:
the radar now currently at the top of the mainmast head (what radar is it anyway?).
a 1022 that somehow got mucked up when I was replacing the original with the updated drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 16th, 2012, 9:00 pm
[ img ]

Not really satisfied with the secondary armament yet. I am open to more suggestions on something which could be appropriate to the building timeframe for this (circa 1958-64). Good suggestion so far, but I couldn't seem to find anything else of the appropriate size and timeframe. Notice I said "couldn't find" and not "doesn't exist", which does open the possibility to me missing something along the way. ;) What I have on there now is taken from the Swedish Spica class, but I don't know if I'd like to keep it or not.

I decided to keep the funnels as is and not make them vertical, and kept the forward SeaCat where it was, but I did change the main gun from the problematic twin 6" auto back to the triple 6" on the original design.

Other than the secondary armament, I am getting fairly satisfied with this design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 16th, 2012, 9:17 pm
You'll want the Mk 1 57mm gun and not the mk 3 you've used since it wasn't available before 1995 or so.
The Mk 1 can be found on page 14 or 15 in the Renewing the old parts sheets thread.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Ticoginia cruiserPosted: January 17th, 2012, 5:08 am
Cool. Thanks. This early senility really sucks sometimes. Well, at least my wife says thats what I have. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7137 »

Jump to: