Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 31  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2131 »
Paul Carl
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
[ img ]
getting there.......
I think you are missing a propeller shaft strut.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 19th, 2012, 9:12 pm
well, I have to admit I have simplified the bow a bit to ease calculations (so I could calculate weights by hand for the tutorial, and not by computer as I normally do) and by that her bow became one without much sheer..... instead I heightened the freeboard to get her seaworthy.
the sonars are fitted similarly to the CFA class, I dislike them a bit but that ship was the main inspiration for this design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Spike
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 20th, 2012, 2:58 am
acelanceloet wrote:
[ img ]
getting there.......
Looking at this drawing I find one potential problem. The height of the ASROC launcher and it's reloads blocks the view of the forward gun and even the bow from the pilothouse. There have been instances where Soviet and, I believe, Chinese ships maneuvered closely and aggressively enough that ships sometimes 'traded paint.' With that in mind, I think good all-around view is important. You could keep the arrangement and improve the line-of-sight by dropping the ASROC launcher and its reloads down to the forecastle. You might consider doing the same thing with the Mk 13 launcher to give the directors more separation from the missile exhaust when fired at lower elevation. The layout might resemble a JMSDF ship, but it should work.

Hope that helps.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 20th, 2012, 4:43 am
he can't lower the mk-13 because whats below it. mk-13 take about 2 deck and some more.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 20th, 2012, 7:19 am
while the problem of the view exists, it is not as big an problem as it seems.
the structure in which the ASROC reloader is fitted is about 6 meters wide as maximum. so, while in the center the visibility forward might be lowered a bit, the other 4 meters of pilothouse and bridge wing have an perfect view. this is the reason for the uncommon setup of the structure over there. note also that there is an open bridge all around the pilothouse of the exact same reason.

lowering the ASROC would need me to move it aback to clear the gun. by doing that, the space for reloads would be less, so I would have to go from 16 to 8 reloads.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:08 pm
Well here is the result of my and Obsydian Shade's musing over a terrier equipped variant of the Götterdämmerung. This proposal gets the company name Daenerys (kudos if you get the reference)
The aft Mk13 gives way to a Mk10 for Terrier (of the tilt variety) as well as ASROC stored in the same manner that the Italians did. I *think* that in theory the magazine should be two spools amounting to 40 missiles over all though I could be wrong on that. The Mk13 forward would receive ISSM (then Harpoon) as well as the updates to SM-1MR and SM-2MR.
I'm a little concerned about weight especially unbalancing it towards the stern with all the added weight... The 40mms will remain as before with the possibility of either swapping them out for the equivalent 35mm or 76mm mounts. No helipad or hangar this time either.

[ img ]

All that remains is to say let the OMGWTFBBQs commence! ~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:10 pm
[ img ]

We went different ways with our designs, I suppose I'm either more conservative, or think more in artistic, than effective terms, but this is my take on the basic design for your comparison.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm
I am now really wanting that I had the sizes of the Mk 10, I would then draw it out for you as belowdeck part.... something I am planning anyways, but the lack of refs put it queuing until now. I have an feeling blackbucks would work but obsydian shades would not, but I cannot be sure of this........
this might be just that thingie that I needed to start guestimate drawing sizes for the Mk 10, so I might have something for ya both soon........

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:22 pm
Well, our biggest point of diversion is we went with two different installations; Blackbuck, the "tilt" installation, and myself, the deckhouse installation as per Long Beach.

Incidentally, if you are planning on redoing the Mk 10, please get rid of those thrice damned pixel errors--it looks like it's all the same color until you go to recolor it!!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tartar DEG challengePosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:26 pm
ah well, OS, I now see the problem in yours: the deckhouse is too low. when you load the Mk 10 the missile slides out (in this case, horizontally) directly onto the actual launcher. on yours, this would end in an missile dropped on the deck xD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 31  [ 302 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2131 »

Jump to: