Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 25th, 2012, 1:43 am
The Province class is a lot sharper.

As for a Kingston replacement, this is a lot more suitable for what would be carrying a helicopter.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 25th, 2012, 7:44 pm
a few comments, only province class as my points for the other ship have been made already.
- the radar heights are now good to me.
- you seem to have fitted an 64 cell VLS. I doubt that neccesary, possible or useful. why?
* the danish ships only have 32 cells, IIRC.
* you are going to have top weight issues from this
* the ship is kind of long now.
- my suggestion is: go for an 32 cell VLS, with 8 cell reserved for tomahawk, 8-16 cells SM-2 MR and 8-16 cells ESSM (X4 = 32/64 ESSM, a lot more then you require already)
- has asroc ever been shipped by canada? IIRC not, and you will need an quite large sonar if you are going to.
- SM-2 MR instead of ER would be an very good idea. the guidance can handle it, but IIRC almost only the USA uses ER missiles.
- altough I noted tomahawk above, I do not know if canada is gonna ship those ever. if you are going for MR and no tomahawks and ASROC's, you might even go for an shorter length VLS (tactical length, to be exact, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63276563/GMLS%2 ... %20VLS.png ), which is never an bad thing in the cramped space you are gonna have
- the RHIB bay below the bridge is not an that good idea, as you will want your CIC over there. that takes a lot of space, which you do not have if you have your boats there. I suggest putting them next to the hangar or between VLS and funnel.
- the same (to an lesser extend, but still) for your walkway
- the oto 76 gun interferes with your forepeak bulwark, and has no space for an magazine apart from the ready use magazine (on most ships larger then 30 meters, guns have an magazine below the waterline with an elevator going to the ready use magazine.)

so, my suggestion would be this: move the entire forward structure, including gun and phalanx, aft, by removing 32 cells of your VLS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 25th, 2012, 8:57 pm
The primary mission for this ship, at least for the first production run of 3-5, would be area air defense. So I don't want to skimp on AA systems, hence the use of a full blown APAR/SMART-L sensor suite. I'll make a second drawing for the cheaper flight IIs. ASROC without a good SONAR set is silly I admit, it'll be removed. Tomahawks have never been used by the RCN afaik. Why don't I have a tactical length 32 cell unit amidships, and then have an 8-16 cell full length on the bow for SM-2ER and potential Tomahawk acquisitions? This could also be removed for the flight II ships.

Edit: upon reviewing the range difference between SM-2MR and ER, according to Wiki at least, it's only a difference of 20km. I'll go MR.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 25th, 2012, 10:58 pm
I'm going to scrap the Fraser and start over since my insistence on a helicopter makes it more trouble then it's worth to fix. But as for Ace's comments on the Province, here she is. Now uses a 32-cell tactical length VLS system.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 12:07 am
I probably should've mentioned this earlier but you're using WWII-era 20mm guns. On the one hand, they'd probably use a more modern 25mm weapon. On the other hand, this is Canada, the same nation that literally pulled 40mm's from museums to put on the Kingstons....

That said, they're placed far from optimally, especially between the bridge and Phalanx (which can serve the same function in that position, and is remote controlled to boot) and on the fantail which, as you can see, is right next to a helicopter's tail blades. And the inclusion of 40mm grenade launchers on a ship like this is odd.

Where you have the 40mm launcher just aft of the mast would be a great position for a 25mm weapon. It would have great coverage in the form of a large, sweeping arc of fire. The only problem is that being so close to a phased set means long-term health problems for whoever's stuck manning that weapon, though I don't know if someone would be manning that station for long enough for it to matter, or of the radar would even be in operation. Or you can make the issue moot entirely with a Typhoon remote weapons station.

Oh, and as I said with the other frigate, pay attention to the angle of your hangar. If you only have a single helicopter hangar, you might want to look at what the Cities have presently in terms of how it handles stealthy angles - but I like to think this is a twin-copter hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 12:37 am
Those '40mm grenade launchers' are actually .50 Brownings, pulled straight from the USN systems part sheet. And yes this is a twin-copter hangar. I'll remove bow 20mm gun and put it where the .50 cal behind the mast is now. And I like to think we pulled old guns out of museums for this to cost save in the most absurd way possible. In a way, it adds plausibility.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 8:30 am
I doubt having the SPS-10 (?) with APAR.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
I doubt having the SPS-10 (?) with APAR.
I thought the APAR (among it's other functions) was air-search and only really effective at surface search with a clumsy software hack? Of course, that's Wiki so it's probably to be taken with a grain of salt.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 2:45 pm
It might only be a hack, but it's still head and shoulders above the SPS-10

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Canadian Surface Combatants - Carnac's CanucksPosted: October 26th, 2012, 2:47 pm
I'll remove it then.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: