Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 6:08 pm
well, the fact is, between hangar and bridge I would like to have uptakes. now you have to tunnel these to the stern of your ship, which takes quite a lot of space.
an ship this size has most likely the CIC connected with the bridge, so you will need the space in or underneath it as much as possible.
I would drop the forward CIWS, and put the VLS in it's place. then put the aft CIWS on the hangar, and then lower the helideck and hangar one level, thus clearing visibility for the bridge and space on and underneath it.
also, don't forget that you need an processing room, with cabinets and cooling, for your radars. this is best placed underneath the mast.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
I do want the exhaust to go to the rear, as this ship has the same exhaust type as the Visby. It indeed takes space but it has to. There is space enough for it though, as there is no towed sonar there or anything. Besides, the engine is below the helopad already; an uptake there would take about the same space as it would have to go fore or aft to form a stack anyways.

The CIC is actually larger than the SIGMA frigate (which is the only other ship I can think of that also has a combined bridge and CIC) even with its indentation. It is also as large as the Visby's bridge and CIC combined, and as large as the FREMM CIC.

I'm not sacrificing a second CIWS: if really need be, I will adjust the length to fit two. Nor do I feel like lowering the rear superstructure; the crew has a 360 degree view from the bridge with a tiny blind spot that disappears over distance, and besides if really need be the EO sensors can be used to look around.

The processing room is, like with the I-masts, inside the mast. This is why it is so bulky. (It does fit; I used cutaway drawings from Herakles, I-mast, and Shelde combatant's I-mast for reference.) If this is not enough, I can reserve some space fore of the processing room in front of the flex deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 9:34 pm
the processing rooms won't fit in the mast, that is why the I-masts are twice as bulky as this unit :P
also, even the I-mast has not all it's cabinets and cooling units in the mast itself. there is an large column going down just aft of the hollands CIC which connects the mast and the cabinet room.

the SIGMA ships do not have the bridge and CIC combined.
where is your CIC located then?

I wonder why you need 2 CIWS: most frigate sizes ships have one, destroyer sized 1 or 2, and you have 2 and an DP gun.

really, these flaws are going to run into engineering and operational problems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 31st, 2012, 10:06 am
acelanceloet wrote:
the processing rooms won't fit in the mast, that is why the I-masts are twice as bulky as this unit :P
also, even the I-mast has not all it's cabinets and cooling units in the mast itself. there is an large column going down just aft of the hollands CIC which connects the mast and the cabinet room.
I'll see what I can do to remedy this. There should be a bit of space for a processing room underneath the flex-deck.
Quote:
the SIGMA ships do not have the bridge and CIC combined.
where is your CIC located then?
I must be mistaken here. But the CIC is located inside the bridge, and shares its consoles (there are thirteen multi-purpose consoles located there, but each console can be manned by two people).
Quote:
I wonder why you need 2 CIWS: most frigate sizes ships have one, destroyer sized 1 or 2, and you have 2 and an DP gun.
In that case, consider this a destroyer. The goal when drawing the ship was to have it with specific systems; not with a specific length. EDIT: Thinking about it, I might just call this a "combatant" and be over with any naming conventions... Happy new year everyone.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 31st, 2012, 10:28 am
may I do some modifications, to show what I would do with it?

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 31st, 2012, 12:04 pm
Go ahead. Have fun with it :P

EDIT: In the meantime, updated version plus a sloppy sketch of the inside.
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: January 1st, 2013, 12:56 am
I have to say
It looks very nice,and to my limited knowledge base also seems practical

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: January 13th, 2013, 2:23 pm
Thanks Ragriz!

Another update, (although I should maybe wait with the next few updates until Ace is done; I have a feeling you're up to something nice again) it is Atlantified now as the defense contract with Atlantia is closed. It now has acoustic countermeasures, hardkill countermeasures, laser jammer, different VLS, and a shuffled systems layout (again). Also changed the vents and tweaked the colour scheme again.

Missiles added atop, they are (from left to right) CISAM (LFK-NG derived), POLAR (if I am correct), Armaros-M, Armaros PD-R, a custom NSM-derived mid-range anti-shipping missile, kinetic countermeasures, Rafael Torpbuster (I don't know if it was already drawn, excuse me if it is), and another CISAM. Another great thanks towards Blackbuck for letting me use his AU systems.

[ img ]
In addition, I got a smaller brother aimed solely at anti-surface duties but with better self-defense capabilities than a fast attack craft.
[ img ]
As one may notice, whereas the SSM was VL launched on the previous version, it is inside a box launcher inside the superstructure on the small ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: January 13th, 2013, 2:45 pm
don't wait for me, I am crazy busy at school so it might take some time
these last 2 are quite nice though, although exposing the bridge to the direct blast from the launches ASM seems to be an not that good idea, and having explosives and fuel in them when stored.........

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:13 am
[ img ]
ok, well, this is what I would do. I have added an underwater hull (which needs coolwater inlets and inlets for the waterjets and detailing of the waterjets to complete it), have modified the mast, modified the stern (it is up to you what to put there, you might even add the deck again but then you have to lengthen the helideck about 2 meters) and modified the bridge and hangar.
I tried to stay close to what you said, but within structural limits. underneath the mast is an space of the bridge that is used for the systems, so you walk around the mast base. the hangar is split off from the bridge, and the TT's are moved so that they share the magazine with the helicopter. between bridge and hangar I have added the funnel for the diesel generators, and I kept the turbines in the original position. I moved the VLS forward (16 cell tactical lenght) and removed the CIWS, which were kind of overkill (you could add one on the aft deck though, and you could even add another one in front of the bridge, if it doesn't block visibitily too much.)

I hope you like it, it is not an perfect job (a lot of open weapon positions, your camo had to be removed as it of course was messed up by my fixes) but now you have an fast, well armed ship which could have been build and wouldn't be an nightmare for both construction, maintenance and sailors.

(and yeah, I really like these bridge windows, when you said you hoped upon something special I just had to add something like that xD)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: