Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: January 20th, 2013, 6:16 pm
A mighty fine looking vessel Ace! I love it, and yes, this was the way I intended it to be. I'll see what I can do with it, many thanks!

I like the windows too, even if only for cool factor.

In the meantime, while I haven't yet changed the smaller combatant, I do now also have a fast-attack craft. Has an M hull, and has a large configurable flex-deck. In the normal configuration, it would likely have box-mounted AASSM's and countermeasures, but torpedo's, mines, mine-clearance equipement, RHIB's, UAV's, or point defense weaponary is also a possibility. Comes with a cut-away view.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Already noticed three mistakes in colouring, weapons placement, and details lacking, but I'll fix that in the next update.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 18th, 2013, 9:13 pm
[ img ]
Updated corvette, different mast and shifted AshM position. Not much changed.
[ img ]
Updated FAC, now has a standard CIWS as opposed to small combination gun, removed acoustic decoy launcher, AshM launcher revealed, updated mast, added mooring equipement, added vents, and added liferaft dispensers.
In addition, a pretty large WIP of an aircraft carrier. Top view only but this view alone has more than enough on it that could use some critical advice.
[ img ]
Moreover, can someone help me on how to prevent resizes now that Photobucket has a new layout?

On this worksheet are also three AU planes: a single turbofan multirole STOVL attack jet based upon an older JSF concept; a twin-boom multirole attack craft taking on roles ranging from ASuW to EW to CAS to strike, and anything else you can name; a large turboprop powered bird that takes on tanker and AWACS roles.

The worksheet also has a radar installation on here, the Large Combatant Integrated Mast, which is here shown in the support layout, suited for ships carrying out a leading role such as for example carriers or landing docks. There is a ballistic defense layout too, which replaces some of the communication panels with a set of three (quite powerful) radar directors.

Credit to Gollevainen for the propellors of the turboprop aircraft, Blackbuck for several parts such as the VLS, and to Crazyhorse for the Queen Elizabeth which many parts of this carrier are based on.

Still haven't taken Ace's suggestions on the combatant yet. But I will do so later, I need to take my time to redraw the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 18th, 2013, 9:18 pm
I converted to MajHost. I think it works better than photobucket, IMO.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 18th, 2013, 9:32 pm
all images are rezised in Photobucket now, there are nothing you can do about that. so time to change.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 18th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Also that inboard waist catapult is at rather a large offset... As for that matter is the main bow one...

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 19th, 2013, 6:18 am
Carrier and planes looks promising, like to see it in a not resized version,

Especially the planes in a sideview

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 19th, 2013, 8:03 am
There's not much of a point in having stealth prop planes, BTW.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 20th, 2013, 8:03 pm
Thanks for the tip Ezgo, I think I'll switch to that website too. After all, the only thing I ask from an image host is to, well, host my images! A shame Photobucket reverted to this decision though. [ img ]
Quote:
Also that inboard waist catapult is at rather a large offset... As for that matter is the main bow one...
I agree with you on the catapult, but is the bow takeoff point doable? If it isn't going to cause problems than I won't remove it, because it's going to be difficult to redraw that part.
Quote:
Carrier and planes looks promising, like to see it in a not resized version, Especially the planes in a sideview
Unfortunately, none of my sideviews so far have looked well, and after many attempts I have given up... for now. When I finish the carrier sideview I will have to make one though.
Quote:
There's not much of a point in having stealth prop planes, BTW.
I wasn't certain if it would, but I did think about it. The attack aircraft you see here is based upon an existing aircraft so it can't suddenly switch to jet engines; I will have to think about either forgoing stealth or changing to a newly designed aircraft powered by high-bypass turbofans. A couter-rotating propeller definately can't be good for stealth, but is it bad enough to absolutely ruin it? Would a ducted fan help maybe?

The AWACS is a different story, but hiding what is essentially a giant flying radar antenna from hostile sensors does not work to begin with. It is however designed from scratch, so stealth shaping was done to begin with since it wouldn't damage the plane's capabilities either.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 20th, 2013, 8:23 pm
If it were me I'd just get rid of the whole STOVL/CATOBAR hybrid and make it CATOBAR only. You can easily make the ramp straight (which will take all of 2 minutes) then put the cat perpendicular to the direction of travel (and if it were me I'd also make the ramp take up the whole section not using part of the area for aircraft storage - that's what hangars are for) You could then get two cats on the bow over the ramp (EMALS is a necessity in this case) allowing you to get rid of the oddly angled waist cat and keep the not so oddly angled one and maybe straighten it slightly. You'd end up with three perfectly functional catapults (two of which are inclined providing a greater take off angle meaning higher take off weights)
STOVL IMHO on a vessel this size just has too many negative points compared to proper carrier aircraft... That said I do look forward to seeing the side plan drawing for this.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: February 20th, 2013, 8:41 pm
also, and don't take this wrong, but I advice against doing an carrier from scratch. my own carrier project is on a standstill for about half a year now, because I still lack the knowledge..... carriers are just the hardest ships you can imagine to build, and by that to design.

examples:
- deck edge elevators may not be inside the hull girder for strength issues
- catapult lengths
- weapon elevators
- personnel acces to all parts of the deck without crossing 'aircraft movement' areas
- visibility over all the deck from the command tower
- enough clearance of your landing deck and the parked aircraft
- use of elevator, landing deck and catapults at the same time
- all time availability of every aircraft in the hangar (which best can be treated as 'you need to get every possible aircraft outside without moving more then 5 others and without moving any other aircraft on the deck')
- catapult machinery
- landing wire machinery
- landing control lights on a position relative to the landing deck

and that is only for the deck and hangar, you also have the usual problems with radars, communication, weapons, visibility, and hull shape you have on every other navy ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: