Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 4 of 16  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 616 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 21st, 2013, 12:15 am
TimothyC wrote:
heuhen wrote:
I see. give me a couple of days... And I shall see if I can do something about it.

BTW. Shall I keep the Armament layout like this. or do you want me to change it around a bit.

I am also wondering about moving the entire aircraft facility aft, and give it an bellow deck hangar there. But it's all up to you.
The gun layout is good, but the aircraft facilities are good where they are. Alinga has a normal load of two SR.A/1's and two Seagulls.

Played around with the design a bit!

[ img ]

[Profile]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 21st, 2013, 1:42 am
Good, but the hull needs to be strait (not cutaway), the masts should be quadrapeds not tripods, and the bridge should be elevated.

Also, she's only finished post war so she never sees the 20mm spam.

[Profile]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 21st, 2013, 6:10 am
heuhen wrote:
"Zephyre" that one is just one of many variants I am testing out at the moment. BTW. how big do you want it?
Hmm. Good question. The 1974 Ruffian class is about 390' at the waterline, so probably somewhere in that general range would most likely be a good guess.

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 22nd, 2013, 11:15 pm
"Study 2" British/USA..'ish version
- The mounting of the Limbo idea have I taken from Type 14 frigate.
- I did go for a overkill gun for this ship, but that just for fun... what gun Zephyr want to use is up to him, but two 3" gun would be a nice fit on here.
- The aft 3" gun is placed alone, A possible upgrade at later time for this ship is removing of aft gun and thus creating a landing spot for an ASW helicopter, There should be space for an Hangar between those Limbos and on the aft deck.
- I gave the hull an extra high freeboard because the Limbo system need space.
- Hedgehog. Because I can!
- The superstructure is small for lowering the center of gravity.
- Machinery will be two "small" High pressure boilers and one low pressure boiler. 31000 Bhp turbine and 4500 Bhp reversing turbine. Speed should be then: Cruise at 15 knots, maxspeed would be 32 knots. Note: she would also be able to go at 22-25 knots with only one High pressure boiler. range would be around 4000 to 5000 mi.

[ img ]

I have one more design idea some I am working on. I will post that later... I think you will like that one better.

[Profile]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 23rd, 2013, 5:23 am
Oh hell yeah! I am liking that look. :D

Just let me say I do really appreciate this. I've been wanting to get cracking on that class for some time now but keep getting stuck, and now I don't want to get sidetracked from the Ferries.... Thank you.

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 23rd, 2013, 4:45 pm
Sorry shipmate, but you've got too much weight on the stern. That 3-in automatic was a heavy beast, requiring a large magazine, and you've got it sitting too high, I would be concened with such a high center of gravity. As the 5-in dual was never built I can't comment, but I'd suspect it would also require a lot of space and be very heavy. :)

[Profile]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 23rd, 2013, 4:56 pm
I'd also add that surely for a dedicated sub hunter a massive gun armament is somewhat superfluous?

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 24th, 2013, 10:56 am
Blackbuck wrote:
I'd also add that surely for a dedicated sub hunter a massive gun armament is somewhat superfluous?
as stated n the text the 5" gun is just mounted there for fun, The Originall drawing I have home have a 3" gun forward.

"Portsmouth bill" Yes I know the gun is heavy, but I have calculated it to be able to handle it. But I shall be nice and lower it a meter or so to just give it a better stability. (Note to every one that draw ships. Never look on a real world ship to see what is possible to mount on a another ship, since the hull shape can be very different)

[Profile]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 24th, 2013, 11:17 am
I'm sorry Heuhen but this ship makes no sense. First of all you're clearly underestimating just how much space the Limbo's take up. There's no way you'll be able to fit all the reloading rails and hoists onto those weird raised platforms. And speaking of that, given how the Limbo was used, having three launchers gives you no real advantage.
Then there's the Hedgehog which makes even less sense. And open depth charge racks no less.
And then of course there's the guns. While it's true that you can do a lot hull shape, you'll need a ridiculously high block coefficient to fit all this junk on board, which means you'll need an even larger engineering plant, which needs more space so you'll need a larger ship, which requires a larger engine... You can see where this is going.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 24th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Quote:
I'm sorry Heuhen but this ship makes no sense. First of all you're clearly underestimating just how much space the Limbo's There's no way you'll be able to fit all the reloading rails and hoists onto those weird raised platforms. And speaking of that, given how the Limbo was used, having three launchers gives you no real advantage.
1. There are only two Limbo's on here, and because of that space they take they are mounted at different places. while HMS Hardy a Type 14 frigate that is smaller than this frigate (in every direction!) had two Limbo's mounted off cent. they probably shared the same magazine, just like this one. http://www.shipbucket.com/Real%20Design ... 4Hardy.png

2. There are only TWO Limboe's, only TWO!
Quote:
Then there's the Hedgehog which makes even less sense. And open depth charge racks no less.
I wanted something that is small, old-school and as an stupid backup. But if we are going after all those doctrines many navies have: "if it's old it's stupid to use!"...
Quote:
And then of course there's the guns. While it's true that you can do a lot hull shape, you'll need a ridiculously high block coefficient to fit all this junk on board, which means you'll need an even larger engineering plant, which needs more space so you'll need a larger ship, which requires a larger engine... You can see where this is going.
1. Large beamy hull, but that doesn't exist in shipbucket among people that doesn't know that much about how a hull works...
2. The forwar gun as stated are going to be a 3" gun not a 5" gun, that gun you do see there was just added for fun.
3. There are no 5" gun.
4. The engine is already powerful, in fact I did go a bit overkill on that part.
5. I i understand what you are talking about Thiel. But you must understand that I have done some fast calculation. What I hae calculated with is: two 3" gun (small mag. aft, standard mag forward), two Limbo's with one "semi.large"magazine, minimum four torpedo tubes, two 20mm guns, 1 small and simple radar and some navigation radar, one large and one small Sonar, big engine, led keel.

I know the 3" gun had a weight of 37 tons!

Oh this is to everyone: "Did I write in the drawing, "Study 2" or are I blind?" And how many Study drawings and concepts art from the real-world are drawn stupidly overloaded. BTW. if this frigate is serious overloaded, than the Oslo class shouldn't be able to float!

Just wait to the Study 3, that is also the drawing that I am going for to finish for Zephyre. Just as I state between the lines in one of my earlier post. If you do know who to write between the line.
Quote:
I have one more design idea some I am working on. I will post that later... I think you will like that one better.

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 4 of 16  [ 152 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 616 »

Jump to: