Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 2 of 16  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 … 16 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 16th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Comments from Voyager:
Quote:
Then... stern is like a Brit ship with a chean chop off the stern for the transom but tilted back like a USN ship.
Quote:
She is 295m waterline, 300m overall, with a waterline beam of 41m, and a 'normal' draught of 11m amidships.
8 x 45cm/42 cal main guns in ABXY arrangement, twins. Turrets are 'blocky' like German-style ones, with the examples I showed you earlier.
The 8" guns are of that shape, but are triples, not twins.

[ img ]

Her, in particular, possibly, as she's the 'previous' large ship of the generation before.

[ img ]

And she has the late 30's director families for battleships, and then there's the ships in the Isle of California Thread.

[Profile]
grimreaper6
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 16th, 2013, 10:00 pm
There is a big focus on combat ships but what about the hundreds of Auxiliary and Service Force Ships in the worlds navies. Just an idea of more things to draw I haven't seen much of on here.

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 16th, 2013, 11:51 pm
I found out that the gun placing in you'r drawing was a bit messy, and since this ship was to be build on what have bean learned over two World wars. I changed around the gun layout. There are many reason and many advantage of this. here's my list (note I haven't removed any guns):

- main guns as it is.
- Secondary I have pulled closer to the main guns. many reason, but main reason is that I was afraid that mounting the secondary to far out would give a weakens in the hull section, and strain on the bulkheads and keel.
- third armament. I moved the a bit around, mounted directly to the main deck, so the weight of those guns get as low as possible. And as you can see a have mounted them in a sort of a ring. So this will be the outer ring armored box.
- fourth armament. I moved them in the same way as with the third armament. but also make a opening and have them as low as possible. This is the inner ring armored box.
* Note that all gun are placed so the should get as good firing arch as possible, without damaging the balance of the ship. If it was me I would remove the third armament and move the secondary to where the aft and forward third armament is placed and increase the fourth armament.
* And as you can see, this give the flight deck a clear path above and between guns. With a lot of space.
* This layout give me the Normal armored hull and deck but add the twin (ring) armored box. (this would save some weight). Note this would make the ship better armored than Montana

- Large flight deck capable to handle two launch and recover simultaneously, twin large Hangar with workshop forward of the flight deck, two small hangar with workshop aft of the flight deck.
- conning-tower partially build in to superstructure.

[ img ]

for some reason I want a South Dakota/Iowa mast.

[Profile]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 2:41 pm
If you are still "in the mood" to draw something, this on the smallish side, maybe a frigate for GH, a bit of a cross between a Leander and Knox, starting being commissioned in 1966? ASW as the primary mission.

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Zephyr wrote:
If you are still "in the mood" to draw something, this on the smallish side, maybe a frigate for GH, a bit of a cross between a Leander and Knox, starting being commissioned in 1966? ASW as the primary mission.
it's on the list.

[Profile]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 4:27 pm
awesome! Thanks! :D

[Profile]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 5:25 pm
A large US cruiser a Long beach replacement

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Morten812 wrote:
A large US cruiser a Long beach replacement

that one is difficult, Erik-t made one if I remember correct. But what time period do you want it to be? but I put it on the list.

[Profile]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Pre VLS and Aegis. - Nuclear - larger than existing US-cruiser - Kind of modern battlecruiser, Design period 75-80, perhaps design similar to Spruance

Single Launcher for Standard ER missiles for and aft, Asroc, Large helo-capacity. Tomahawk optional - refit.

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: You ask I draw!Posted: February 17th, 2013, 7:34 pm
The secondaries there are rather American and curved, while Alinga has bocky, British like turrets :S.

Think Vanguard not Iowa for inspiration.

Think, Vanguard and Bismark having a child.

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 2 of 16  [ 152 posts ]  Return to β€œPersonal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 … 16 »

Jump to: