Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: February 27th, 2014, 6:34 pm
I do have my eyes on a 1920 design of a 35,000 ton carrier with 16 6 inch guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: March 1st, 2014, 2:59 am
Those rudders look really tiny for a ship of her size, other than that great work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: March 1st, 2014, 3:56 am
They are the same size as BB Possible. Here is the Springstyles Book sheet about the BB Possible: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... 84018c.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: March 1st, 2014, 7:11 am
maybe it's their shape that give the illusion that they are tiny, I just figured they look kind of small to be capital ship rudders.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 10:58 am
Here is a WIP of an alternate design for the 1919 South Dakota class. Basically, it is a more "conventional" looking South Dakota class, It has a hull and secondary layout more reminiscent of the Colorado class, otherwise nothing is changed. As mentioned, it is a wip, but you can see where it is going. As a sidenote, I have not used anything from Redhorse`s South Dakota.

A little off topic, how do you guys think the original South Dakota design would have been refitted over the years?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:37 pm
I like the look of this much better than the actual design. Good looking drawing too. I think the SoDaks wouldn't have gotten any major refits like the older BBs but would have gotten minor improvements like the big 5. Maybe some of the later ships in the class would have been completed with tripod masts and even less likely turreted secondaries. If they got damaged they might have gotten major refits otherwise probably just parallel to the big 5.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm
Dang, that thing does look a lot like a Colorado on steroids. I thought they had trunked funnels though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 5:44 pm
It is an alternate design. Taking the two funnels and making them more like traditional funnels. The hull and the superstructure is also slightly modified to look more like the Colorado. Otherwise, the ship is the same. I am also working on a 1919 fast battleship design which is essentially an enlargened South Dakota with a top speed of 25 kts. A lot from it is now on the South Dakota. I call it the Connecticut class. Since I am finished with the SoDak, I might finish it up.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 11:04 am
That alternate South Dakota looks very good, much more balanced and perhaps more affordable and more practical too. A pity something like this wasn't built.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Capital ShipsPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 7:44 pm
I am also making the actual real SoDak design. I noticed that Redhorse`s version has some things that`s missing and otherwise slighty wrong. He`s version is also not completely up to SB standard as shading is missing and all angles are black instead of dark gray. I will also use it to make some what-ifs for the South Dakota if she was commisioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: