Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 »
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 20th, 2014, 2:21 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Why do you have such a blocky, awkward-looking structure fore for the forward Phalanx? Like Ace said, you can use the structure that's on the Burkes.

Also you can have the directors on the hangar straddle the hangar instead of having to be perfectly in-line (like the fore directors on the Ticos) so the Phalanx won't block the line-of-sight.
Thank you klag. The reason for the "blockiness" is that this ship was on the designing board at the same time as the spru-cans, OHP's and the (in this alternate history) non-existent Tico's. Im trying to stay in line with that design style. Also, why do you guys seem to assume I always do the most ham-headed things like putting the two aft directors in-line center, where they are blocked by the CIWS mount instead of assuming the directors ARE staggered (which they are) in the port to starboard aspect. I like this stagger a lot better than what is on the front of a Tico because you can still have all six directors available in a full "broadside" situation. Given the way you guys default on the side of ham-headedness, If I had drawn them like the forward set-up on the Tico Y'all would have been saying "why have you reverted to only five directors?? that just makes no sense" ;)

I'm not completely happy with the forward CIWS mount, but that is where it will stay. If anybody has a suggestion for making this forward area more aesthetically pleasing, but also keeping in line with the "blocky" design of the time, I'd love to see it. Feel free to show me how you would do it, and if I like it I'll incorporate it and credit you :)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 20th, 2014, 4:28 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 20th, 2014, 4:54 pm
[ img ]

THAT is absolute BADASSERY heuhen!!! THANK YOU! you know how sometimes you just get artists block on something...? well that's where I was with this forward mount...I tried copy and paste (numerous times) with the Burk mount and just didn't like it. Thank you thank you. I wanted to let you see this ASAP so I just threw it up here. I noticed I have it back on the wrong template (again...funny how that happens...scheesch) so I will fix that shortly and add you to the credits :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 20th, 2014, 5:31 pm
You're still using the old missiles btw :P

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 20th, 2014, 6:34 pm
no need for credit for something that small.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 21st, 2014, 2:03 am
I just want to say that I've been watching this thread and greatly enjoying it.

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 21st, 2014, 3:38 am
What about moving the Harpoons from amidships to the fantail, perhaps offset like the Ticos, and joining the fore and aft superstructures in the space freed? Or, joining the superstructures and putting the Harpoons on top like the Spruance.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 21st, 2014, 4:15 am
Blackbuck wrote:
You're still using the old missiles btw :P
Thank you blackbuck. When I mentioned above that I'm back on the wrong template again, that is what I was referring to. this template is kind of my "scratch pad" that I draw on, as you can see the ship is not placed correctly and there are some odd bits and pieces here and there. I get in a rush and forget to move it to the correct template before I upload it. I'll fix that next up date :)
heuhen wrote:
no need for credit for something that small.
Thank you again heuhen, you really breathed some fresh life into my drawing, I was stuck
BrockPaine wrote:
I just want to say that I've been watching this thread and greatly enjoying it.
thank you Sir!! feel free to comment anytime :)
ghost792 wrote:
What about moving the Harpoons from amidships to the fantail, perhaps offset like the Ticos, and joining the fore and aft superstructures in the space freed? Or, joining the superstructures and putting the Harpoons on top like the Spruance.
Thank you ghost. Most people I've talked to don't like the way the harpoons were mounted on the Tico's for a couple of reasons. Number one being that they kinda have their "balls hanging out" in that position. One airburst right there and you loose all eight missles. Secondly they look like they were a complete afterthought mounted there. I wouldn't want to mount them any higher in the superstructure than they are because of top weight, which this ship has enough of already. I like them where they are because they are pretty well protected from shrapnel and airburst, barring a direct hit of course.

There are a few reasons for the split deck houses. The biggest being for ease of reactor removal during overhaul and refuel. Next would be damage control, and last would be ease of access for personnel and supplies

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 21st, 2014, 7:50 am
I'm curious. What, exactly, defines your maximum air draft? Have you considered it explicitly? To repeat myself somewhat, you have a very deep and heavy and gloriously stable hull. Hypothetically, what if you could raise the SPS-49 (and other stuff like that) six or ten feet? What effect might that have on your director layout?

I suspect, maybe without reason, that your arrangement is more governed by stack tolerances than actual topweight.

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 1:16 am
sabotage181 wrote:
Blackbuck wrote:

Thank you ghost. Most people I've talked to don't like the way the harpoons were mounted on the Tico's for a couple of reasons. Number one being that they kinda have their "balls hanging out" in that position. One airburst right there and you loose all eight missles. Secondly they look like they were a complete afterthought mounted there. I wouldn't want to mount them any higher in the superstructure than they are because of top weight, which this ship has enough of already. I like them where they are because they are pretty well protected from shrapnel and airburst, barring a direct hit of course.

There are a few reasons for the split deck houses. The biggest being for ease of reactor removal during overhaul and refuel. Next would be damage control, and last would be ease of access for personnel and supplies
I agree the Tico Harpoon location leaves something to be desired. I hadn't considered the impact of the split deckhouses on reactor refueling, but I was concerned that they might make operations in the north Atlantic difficult on crew that need to move between the deckhouses. Otherwise, your current location is probably the best options available.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 »

Jump to: