Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
IceKnight34
Post subject: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 1:40 am
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to post it.

On another model site, I posted the following:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 1&t=152851
Clicking the links in that first post will take readers to another model forum where I plan to convert a 1/350 USS WASP LHD amphibious assault ship into a amphibious hospital ship.
I'm not a very good drawer, so I was curious to ask if anyone might want to help design a WASP amphibious assault ship as a converted hospital ship for me so I have a good reference drawing for when I do my model. If there's any additional information or specs. you need, then just let me know. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 7:43 am
Since most of the conversion is internal all you need to do is remove the armament, Harrier specific deck equipment and the associated electronics and give her her a red and white paint job and you're done.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 9:09 am
You could start from this:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
IceKnight34
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 3:02 pm
Thiel wrote:
Since most of the conversion is internal all you need to do is remove the armament, Harrier specific deck equipment and the associated electronics and give her her a red and white paint job and you're done.
Not all the conversion is internal. As you said, armament and some electronics and radars would have to go. But I'm unsure what specific radars (Air search?, Surface search? ECM?, etc.) and electronics would have to go? This is part of the reason why I was asking if someone could do a modified drawing for me to show what is kept vs. what is not needed.
Secondly, read Post # 21 here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 00.15.html
I'd like to add more personnel/utility boats alongside the ship's hull, but am unsure where to put them. So I need some suggestions (and/or drawings) and ideas.

[Profile] [Quote]
jezza
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 4th, 2013, 1:37 am
IceKnight34 wrote:
I'd like to add more personnel/utility boats alongside the ship's hull, but am unsure where to put them. So I need some suggestions (and/or drawings) and ideas.
Well... you've got a nice big well deck that should surely be easier for transferring litter patients than winching boats up to the main deck?

[Profile] [Quote]
IceKnight34
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 4th, 2013, 3:49 pm
jezza wrote:
IceKnight34 wrote:
Well... you've got a nice big well deck that should surely be easier for transferring litter patients than winching boats up to the main deck?
Yes, a large well deck (and a large flight deck) is convenient for "mass" recieveing of casualties. But what if for any reason a well deck was not convenient for recieving patients? What then? What if the flight deck got "fouled up" due to an accident or something else?
Having smaller utility/personnel boats and RHIB's might be more convenient for areas where LCAC's or other larger craft can't go and can't reach. And the smaller boats double as lifeboats too if anything bad were to happen to the ship. Not all patients being recieved by small boat have to be "winched up" by crane. Small boats can dock alongside the hull and use the side ports as shown in this pic:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1m-004.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 4th, 2013, 4:00 pm
This might be a bit wide of the mark, but could you make use of one or more of the aircraft lifts? i.e. lose a lift and install a crane system and boats stored internally? I'm no engineer, but this might work...

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 4th, 2013, 5:39 pm
Honestly, I'd be concerned that an LHD would be overkill for the mission. I think an LSD or an LPD base would stand to offer a lot of the same capabilities (IE less than those of the current USNS AH fleet, but still substantive) on a smaller, lower cost platform.

If you do stick with the LHD/LHA base, You will want to maintain all of your communications sets and the air traffic control sets, while removing the long range air search radars leaving a short range set (SPS-67) and a surface search set.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 8th, 2013, 1:35 am
idk a largely demilitarized LHD-8 there might be vast cost savings versus the aging two super tankers currently in service as well as the well deck would provide a way to get casualties too the ship in bad weather. Although I agree a LPD or LSD frame might be better, but I was recently thinking the MLP/AFSB design would probably be a much better option and could leverage some sort of economies of scale over a custom built design, lastly a modfied T-AKE is always a good option.

http://cno.navylive.dodlive.mil/files/2 ... icture.jpg this picture with some medical moduals would be a mighty sight.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: LHD Amphibious Hospital ShipPosted: September 8th, 2013, 2:57 am
Philbob wrote:
idk a largely demilitarized LHD-8 there might be vast cost savings versus the aging two super tankers currently in service as well as the well deck would provide a way to get casualties too the ship in bad weather. Although I agree a LPD or LSD frame might be better, but I was recently thinking the MLP/AFSB design would probably be a much better option and could leverage some sort of economies of scale over a custom built design, lastly a modfied T-AKE is always a good option.

http://cno.navylive.dodlive.mil/files/2 ... icture.jpg this picture with some medical moduals would be a mighty sight.
There is a similar ship drawn in SB:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: