Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 18 19 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 1:32 pm
Sorry if this is stupid and noobish :? ,
but why do you need 25mm (Mk38 Mod2) and 20mm (Phalanx) + guns on bridge wings (are they 25mm,20mm or .5 ?) ?
Cant you use the phalanx to do both and save lots of weight (or is the ammo none dual use ?) ?
Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 2:17 pm
True. Initially the phalanx will not be fitted the mounting is there for if the ships are needed for other duties, were CIWS is needed. The 20mm are for when the ship is being used for it's primary mission as an anti piracy vessel. The mk38 mod 2 was fitted in place of a 25mm gun that was manned and would have been an additional more powerful weapon to deal with pirates and if needed to go up against bigger foes when used in patrol work or other duties. As it was pointed out the manned position may be a bit exposed in bad weather, rough conditions or if use of the CAMM is needed then it was swapped for an unmanned system.
These ships are supposed to replace Ex RN leander class frigates that are currently used in this role, they have only 20mm guns as they were the RN sea wolf conversions, they were initially bought for AA duties for carrier protection but as more capable type 21 and 22 frigates became available were relegated to lesser duties. They had no forward gun and there Exocet missiles were decommissioned as my navy wanted to reduce to just one ASM type. from 1993 to 2013 my navy found itself using 3 types of ASM Harpoon on its type 21 and 22 frigates, Exocet on its County class destroyers ( decommissioned in 94) and Leander's and Sea Arrow an indigenous missile developed to give the Type 42's better anti ship capabilities. With the demise of the counties and the withdrawal of Sea Arrow the Leander's were the only Exocet user so as these ships were relegated to the anti piracy and smuggling duties Exocet was removed. The Sea Wolf has also no use in these roles so was there fore deactivated. The new ship have CAMM to allow them to take on more roles.
i am considering a slight lengthening of the hull to allow a turreted say 30mm or 40mm weapon to be mounted forward instead of the Mk38......

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 2:33 pm
Another option could be the Bofors 57mm, for 30 mm or 40mm canon I recommend OTO Breda. Note that the Bofors 57 mm is used by much larger ships, such as Canadian City Class frigates and US LCS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm
I don't really see a requirement for something that big. The 20/25mm combo with AShMs seems perfectly fine. As it stands I'm quite fond of the current design.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 3:26 pm
Final design advice on option 1 or 2............
option 1 uses the 20mm/76mm option with the OTO 76mm
[ img ]
option 2 uses the 20/25mm option combo with the Mk38 Mod 2
[ img ]

EDIT:
Mk141 changed I think this is the latest part there seems to be no end of parts around some not to use some to use, but im not joining those debates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

another option I'd had drawn up 1st but initially threw out.......... added a few of the tweek's...
[ img ]

Last edited by shippy2013 on May 25th, 2014, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 4:18 pm
Option two, as personally I'm not sold adding 7.5+ tonnes of gun and associated below-decks equipment. As a side note, I'm sure there is a newer Mk.141 launcher kicking about somewhere...

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: August 9th, 2014, 11:23 am
A little something I've been working on.

A replacement for New Cromer's Oceanic Class Assault Carrier, the Oceanic class carriers were only designed to last 20 or so years and were built to merchant standards, so new ships have been in the pipe line since the mid to late 90's. Due to enter service in 2019, based on Italy's Cavour with a UK en spired radar fit based on New Cromer's Own CVN's. they have facilities to handle full LPH tasks and as small CV's when equipped with the F35B. they have landing craft which will be salvaged off of the Oceanic's, they have full vehicle facilities with rear and side ramp. Accomidation for up to 800 marines, and full flag ship facilities. Powered by 4 Gas Turbines with a top speed of approx. 30knots. The ships will be built in New Cromer with some components brought in from the UK, Italy and US.

[ img ]

Air wing setup will be as follows. Although all are completely adaptable.

CV :- 14 F35B, 7 Merlin (3 HAS, 2 HC and 2 HAR), 3 V22 (1 KC and 2 AEW). A Merlin HC can be swapped for an additional tanker V22, alternatively tanker capability can be sacrificed for 2 additional Merlin HAS, for additional ASW capability.

ASW :- 10 F35B, 14 Merlin (10 HAS, 2 HAR and 2 HC), 2 V-22 AEW.

LPH/Commando :- 5 F35B, 2 V22 (1 KC and 1 AEW), 4 CH47F, 10 Merlin (2 HAS, 2 HAR and 6 HC), 8 Tiger UHT.

LPH/Amphibious :- 2 CH 47F, 6 Merlin HC, 8 Tiger UHT, Rear half of hangar used for vehicles and equipment and using deck edge lift for access to rear of flight deck for additional parking, forward lift and half of hangar used for air craft handling. These ships are not LPD's and would therefor need a port to off load heavy vehicles, light vehicles could be loaded onto LCU Mk10 carried by other members of a task force and loaded/offloaded from the side or rear ramp onto or Off Mexifload rafts. Air group could be increased at the expense of vehicle space.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 7:23 pm
Inspired by something I found on the internet on a modelling forum I was tempted to do a British version of this US refit what if.
[ img ]

And a British Version maybe I should have used Vangaurd but hey heres Tiger......
[ img ]

Would it work, maybe not but comments welcome on how to make it work......

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 7:31 pm
I'm pretty sure the historical helo conversion stretched the design as far as it could.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 7:37 pm
yeah im pretty sure that if this didnt snap in half between the funnels it may soon roll over to port if a wave hit from the starboard.......

at the very least i think im looking at a serious hogging case of the keel after a few months at sea all that weight to the rear....

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 18 19 »

Jump to: