Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 519 »
shippy2013
Post subject: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 2:05 pm
I am slowly working on a small AU, and thought I'd post a couple of my ships here for some opinions, first up is a replenishment ship. 3 of these will serve with my navy and were built in South Korea in 2012/13 based on the AEGIR design.
[ img ]
Second up is a general purpose frigate ordered in the early 80's from Vosper Thornycroft in the UK they are an improved Type 21 Amazon, lengthened and with Sea-Wolf and Harpoon missile system and incorporating some influence from the Type 22. they would have entered service with my navy from 1985 and 6 are in service.
[ img ]
Next up is a small VTOL aircraft carrier, they were ordered in 1998 from the UK, and are based on the UK's HMS Ocean with elements on the Invincible class added. they were bought as an interim replacement to replace 2 Ex RN Majestic Class carriers operated since the 1960's and converted to VTOL operation in the 1990's till being replaced in service in 2000 by which time they were well and truly knackered suffering constant machinery failures, they are used as LPH and attack carrier and can operate up to 15 harriers and 5 helicopters or up to 18 helicopters. They are due to be replaced by 1 with the possibility of a second CVF after new Cromer took Frances place in a joint project with the UK. The expected in service date for CVF is 2020 not accounting for any major slippage with the UK's ships. The first blocks began construction in the UK in 2013 and will be moved to Rosyth once Prince of Wales is floated. A decision on CVF 2 will come in 2015 and would be due in 2023.
[ img ]

EDIT: I have changed my Majestic class carriers to Centaur Class as my chosen aircraft to operate from 1960's to 1990's would be to big and heavy for a majestic hull as informed by Trojan and bombhead.

Last edited by shippy2013 on February 6th, 2014, 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 2:48 pm
I have to admit I love your designs. Especially your Type21 BII is pretty awesome!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 8:45 am
Very nice! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:04 am
I love the Type 21 mate :)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:43 am
They might well look nice but I've got some doubts about their longevity.

The actual T21s had that massive strengthening girder added for a reason. They were overweight and top heavy leaving little room for improvement or upgrade so adding a pair of Seawolf systems, their associated electronics and directors doesn't seem like a good idea. I can't help but think that lengthening the hull without completely re-designing it isn't going to do much for strength either...

No doubt ace or Hood or RP1 will probably correct me on this...

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:48 am
My thought was that there were two other versions of the type 21 sold to other navies i believe iran and another but i cant remember who most of which still serve as do most of the ex rn ones with pakistan. I know the design had alot of shortcomings but my au country would have ordered them when the design was probably still being offered.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:51 am
What's wrong with the Type 22 then? Similar time frame with better margins for improvement. I'm sure if you're friendly enough to Britain you'd be able to secure them.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 11:07 am
Thought about the type 22. Heres what I was thinking. My country was operating frigates based on the rothesay or whitby's so by the late 70's a replacement was desperately required talks probably began then so the type 21 was already selected so although it had its shortcoming and batch 1 or even batch 2 type 22 would be an option an order was already committed to for the modified type 21 also maybe a type 21 may be cheaper? But anyway I like the look of the 21. In later years my country does buy the 4 batch 3 type 22's of of the uk in 2012.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 11:14 am
In which case then maybe a slightly less audacious upgrade path would be in order? I mean look at what the Type 12s shipped individually.

If it were me I'd look at the following
  • Look at lightweight Seawolf, either one or two launchers depending on other modifications
  • decrease the shipped load of Harpoons to 4 from 8 (also might wanna update to the latest part) and maybe even angle them in at 30-40 degrees which would allow for a shorter extension of the deck than you have now

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 11:35 am
Originally I shipped the original Exocets with blast deflector behind to then protect my sextuplet sea wolf launcher but this still looked a wee bit vulnerable when loosing off Exocets so I moved my sea wolf forward and selected harpoons ala type 22. My choice of two sextuplet launchers was based on my navy looking at the RN experience in the Falklands war were 2 type 21 were lost as a result of aerial attack (granted one may have survived had the bomb disposal team managed to defuse the unexploded bomb). May look at reducing my harpoons from 8 to 4 though reducing the height of the launchers would improve visibility forward.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 519 »

Jump to: